The Walking Dead

TheMoog

Watched the first episode - impressive stuff. Second episode looks good, going by the sneak peek. A second series has been commisioned [is in the pipeline] due to the favourable reception of the pilot.

Romero's 'Dead' series has gone off the rails, going by his last two outings 'Diary' and 'Survival'. This is a welcome diversion, and a welcome addition to the genre.

Just so we know what we are dealing with here

The Walking Dead Zombie Rules (from AMC)

Zombie Rule #1: Ability to run is based on the amount of time a zombie has been undead, and how much decay has set in.

Zombie Rule #2: Zombies decay but at a much slower rate than humans, and it's still possible to differentiate between young and old zombies.

Zombie Rule #3: Zombies are like lions: if they've eaten, you can walk by them without fear, but a pack of hungry zombies will attack you. (Good to know. Good to Know...)

Zombie Rule #4: The quickest speed of any zombie is a shambling run. see Night of the Living Dead. NO sprinters exist. (Also good to know...)

Zombie Rule #5: Zombies are not dexterous. They cannot pick up or use any items more complex than a rock or a stick.

Zombie Rule #6: Zombies have poor eyesight but they do have a strong sense of smell.

Zombie Rule #7: Zombies cannot speak but can communicate by pack mentality. The herd tends to move together if they sight food. (Jeez!!! Crafty bastards...)

Zombie Rule #8: There is no overt recognition of people or places, there is a sense of familiarity that can dictate where a zombie moves.

Zombie Rule #9: There's no known cause of the zombie mutation, but it's suspected to be a virus or infection.

Zombie Rule #10: Once you're bitten you'll die and reanimate as a walker. How long it takes is related to the nature your bite.

I thought the first episode was excellent - surprisingly graphic.

• 2 weeks later...
Just so we know what we are dealing with here

The Walking Dead Zombie Rules (from AMC)

Zombie Rule #1: Ability to run is based on the amount of time a zombie has been undead, and how much decay has set in.

Zombie Rule #2: Zombies decay but at a much slower rate than humans, and it's still possible to differentiate between young and old zombies.

Zombie Rule #3: Zombies are like lions: if they've eaten, you can walk by them without fear, but a pack of hungry zombies will attack you. (Good to know. Good to Know...)

Zombie Rule #4: The quickest speed of any zombie is a shambling run. see Night of the Living Dead. NO sprinters exist. (Also good to know...)

Zombie Rule #5: Zombies are not dexterous. They cannot pick up or use any items more complex than a rock or a stick.

Zombie Rule #6: Zombies have poor eyesight but they do have a strong sense of smell.

Zombie Rule #7: Zombies cannot speak but can communicate by pack mentality. The herd tends to move together if they sight food. (Jeez!!! Crafty bastards...)

Zombie Rule #8: There is no overt recognition of people or places, there is a sense of familiarity that can dictate where a zombie moves.

Zombie Rule #9: There's no known cause of the zombie mutation, but it's suspected to be a virus or infection.

Zombie Rule #10: Once you're bitten you'll die and reanimate as a walker. How long it takes is related to the nature your bite.

I thought the first episode was excellent - surprisingly graphic.

theres a bit more to rule No 10 in the comics - once you die you come back as a zombie. not to spoil things too much but major characters are killed or commit suicide and come back as zombies.

Only watched this because you guys recommended it.

Thank you all.

You're welcome, any other zombie genre based info just ask - I seem to have amassed a fair number of dvds and books on this particular area (currently reading one called Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile by J L Bourne, seems quite good so far too, the previous book was good too).

... uh oh, zombie geek-tastic ;)

I've never really been one who was taken in by the whole genre of zombie related movies etc.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing a few more things based around the whole zombie genre.

Armchair Pundit - where to start?

I've just read the first 10 comics. I must say I'm enjoying them far more than the series. They're a lot more intense and atmospheric.

Think I'll try and pick them up when I've finished with the series. Had heard great things about it.

I've just read the first 10 comics. I must say I'm enjoying them far more than the series. They're a lot more intense and atmospheric.

comics are excellent. there'll be a few times when youll say to yourself "i really hope they dont film that!".

theres some devastating stuff happening to major characters later on.

comics are excellent. there'll be a few times when youll say to yourself "i really hope they dont film that!".

Is the TV series following the comics closely so far?

for the most part yes, but there are some differences.

Nah, not really. Thematically, sure. But there's already some rather significant differences.

Enjoyed the fourth episode. Relating to the final ten minutes of that episode, their camp was a little too close to the city limits, going by some camera shots.

I remember reading that it was Romero's one time ambition to create a tv series [the screenplay has been drafted] but he couldn't sell the idea to any studios.

Pundit: i've ordered Bourne's first book, and i don't normally read fiction novels. I didn't know of it's existence, cheers for the recommendation.

I feel a bit conned. It reminds of Jurassic Park.... 5 mins of dinosaurs, 55 mins of irrelevant soap opera. Same applies to the Transformers films. Still, I started watching it so I'll have to watch them all now. I hope they don't stretch over 10 series like Lost.