Old Board vs New Board

The Fish

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was hardly 'cuts' before relegation was there? We sold Milner because he wanted to leave, and we got a price that everyone thought was inflated at the time. We sold Given and Insomnia because they wanted out, not to cut costs. The summer before relegation we paid big money for Colo, decent money (in the end) for Jonas, in the January we paid a canny bit for Nolan. The major 'cost cutting' came after relegation, which I think was justified.

Why did those players want out and why weren't they replaced once they left?

One is whingey little french prick, Shay has been releasing whinges in the press about needing to sign players to challenge for a few seasons, he'd obviously got wind of City's interest imo. Insomnia was already replaced in Jonas. Milner arguably wasn't replaced properly, though the club did sign both Guthrie and Nolan, so in terms of numbers it could have been thought that we were ok in midfield.

After all those years at the club, they just decided it was time? Nothing to do with being touted around by the club or having a laughing stock of a manager in Joe Kinnear hurtling us towards relegation one cringeworthy soundbite at a time?

I think if Manchester City with an oil tycoon had bid for Shay when Bellamy was throwing chairs about and calling Souness a liar... he'd have wanted out then too.

He might have.....but then any approach would have been turned down....

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunder..._move_1_1118419

And that's a good thing? If a player wants out, then blocking a move isn't exactly going to best move, is it?

I think we're in the process now of proving that it's a much healthier team when the players actually want to be here.

If they're a good player and the fee isn't what it should be of course it's right to block a move...like Man U did with Ronaldo the season he won them the title....or Arsenal did with Fabregas this year.

Top clubs don't let their best players run to other clubs with more ambition at a cut price.

We weren't a top club though

Exactly, that's why we were making savings even prior to regulation.

And Ashley didn't buy a top club, he bought one that'd just finished bottom-half. So comparing Shay wanting to leave to Ronaldo and Fabregas? :lol:

You say that as if you're proving me wrong on some imagined statement or other, rather than proving yourself wrong on the claim that Ashly didn't try to cut costs prior to relegation :icon_lol:

Because you say it as if it's a bad thing :lol: How were we going to get back into the top 4? By increasing costs?

Where? :rolleyes:

You said "There was hardly 'cuts' before relegation was there?"

Now you accept there were cuts and insist there had to be.

Get back to me once you've caught your tail.

So where's your point in all of this ?

Ewerk's right, you're wrong.

There was hardly 'cuts' before relegation was there? We sold Milner because he wanted to leave, and we got a price that everyone thought was inflated at the time. We sold Given and Insomnia because they wanted out, not to cut costs. The summer before relegation we paid big money for Colo, decent money (in the end) for Jonas, in the January we paid a canny bit for Nolan. The major 'cost cutting' came after relegation, which I think was justified.

Why did those players want out and why weren't they replaced once they left?

One is whingey little french prick, Shay has been releasing whinges in the press about needing to sign players to challenge for a few seasons, he'd obviously got wind of City's interest imo. Insomnia was already replaced in Jonas. Milner arguably wasn't replaced properly, though the club did sign both Guthrie and Nolan, so in terms of numbers it could have been thought that we were ok in midfield.

After all those years at the club, they just decided it was time? Nothing to do with being touted around by the club or having a laughing stock of a manager in Joe Kinnear hurtling us towards relegation one cringeworthy soundbite at a time?

I think if Manchester City with an oil tycoon had bid for Shay when Bellamy was throwing chairs about and calling Souness a liar... he'd have wanted out then too.

He might have.....but then any approach would have been turned down....

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunder..._move_1_1118419

And that's a good thing? If a player wants out, then blocking a move isn't exactly going to best move, is it?

I think we're in the process now of proving that it's a much healthier team when the players actually want to be here.

If they're a good player and the fee isn't what it should be of course it's right to block a move...like Man U did with Ronaldo the season he won them the title....or Arsenal did with Fabregas this year.

Top clubs don't let their best players run to other clubs with more ambition at a cut price.

We weren't a top club though

Exactly, that's why we were making savings even prior to regulation.

And Ashley didn't buy a top club, he bought one that'd just finished bottom-half. So comparing Shay wanting to leave to Ronaldo and Fabregas? :lol:

You say that as if you're proving me wrong on some imagined statement or other, rather than proving yourself wrong on the claim that Ashly didn't try to cut costs prior to relegation :icon_lol:

Because you say it as if it's a bad thing :lol: How were we going to get back into the top 4? By increasing costs?

Where? :rolleyes:

You said "There was hardly 'cuts' before relegation was there?"

Now you accept there were cuts and insist there had to be.

Get back to me once you've caught your tail.

So where's your point in all of this ?

Ewerk's right, you're wrong.

About what? :icon_lol:

Shame you couldn't put me right.

I'm sure you've heard the saying that you can take a Horse to water but you can't force it to drink. The facts speak for themselves, it just seems that facts are not a priority for you and you're just happy to trot out crap in an attempt to come over as if you know what you're talking about. The way you try to turn your lack of understanding of both basic English and Mathematics into my problem is class, did you keep a straight face while you were typing or did you go red? My guess is that you thought that you were right and are oblivious as to how stupid you've made yourself look.

While I’m here, what is Ashley doing with the £7 million profit the club was making while we were in the Championship?

Shame you couldn't put me right.

I'm sure you've heard the saying that you can take a Horse to water but you can't force it to drink. The facts speak for themselves, it just seems that facts are not a priority for you and you're just happy to trot out crap in an attempt to come over as if you know what you're talking about. The way you try to turn your lack of understanding of both basic English and Mathematics into my problem is class, did you keep a straight face while you were typing or did you go red? My guess is that you thought that you were right and are oblivious as to how stupid you've made yourself look.

While I’m here, what is Ashley doing with the £7 million profit the club was making while we were in the Championship?

Think he spunked it on a night out.

The reason MA didn't twig the mortgage/debt becoming due is cause it wasn't as clear a picture as you and SB are making out. Infact he was shocked and started whinning like fuck.

What are you on about?

Where have I tried to make out anything about the stadium debt other than to point out that it wasn't down to Ashley. Also, have you got any links to quotes that Ashley was whinning like fuck? The only time I have seen him mention the extra debt was when he said that he would have still bought the club if he had known about it.

The reason MA didn't twig the mortgage/debt becoming due is cause it wasn't as clear a picture as you and SB are making out. Infact he was shocked and started whinning like fuck.

What are you on about?

Where have I tried to make out anything about the stadium debt other than to point out that it wasn't down to Ashley. Also, have you got any links to quotes that Ashley was whinning like fuck? The only time I have seen him mention the extra debt was when he said that he would have still bought the club if he had known about it.

Are you pointing out he stadium debt wasn't down to Ashley? Fuck me have a mars bar. :lol:

What are you on about?

That would be the begging phone call he made to Deloittes the day after he bought the club, shouting at them to "ring the Chinese and see if theyre still interested".

Ashley winged about the stadium money being called in, players sold that were still not paid for yet, and sponsorship being spent years in advanced. all of which are valid things to moan about.

Fred responded (and i have to agree) that even taking all these debts into account, £150m was cheap as the stadium alone would cost over 300m to build.

I'm surprised you didn't add some cockney rhyming slang to try and make it more plausible!

Get on the fucking Joey Ramone and see if the Tiddly Winks are still interested!

What are you on about?

That would be the begging phone call he made to Deloittes the day after he bought the club, shouting at them to "ring the Chinese and see if theyre still interested".

Horse shit, are you seriously trying to say that within 24 hours of buying the club he'd got his hands on that sort of information in London?

Are you pointing out he stadium debt wasn't down to Ashley? Fuck me have a mars bar. :icon_lol:

Try telling Happy face that it's not down to Ashley, he's the one who is struggling.

Not as much as you and Skid mark...

Happy face trying to discard a stadium mortgage when comparing debt is a little unfair on Ashley, irrespective of how an accountant would describe it, it's there, it's a debt :lol: you're looking a bit desperate in this discussion btw.

You're not keeping up are you?

I'm not trying to discard it. I'm saying it makes little difference to the current picture when you decide to it comes into play.

There's a reason to bring it into the frame at the point Ashley arrived....because that's when it became instantly payable in full and we probably couldn't get another one if we'd tried. That's what I did in graph 1.

There's a reason to include it all along...because whenever it was repayable...it was debt...which is what I've done in graph 2.

Irrspective of the mortgage though....the growth in net debt takes a massive leap in 2008 onwards.

Do you read posts before you reply?

What are you on about?

Not wanting to drag it up because it's in the past and we should be moving on....but to answer your question, quotes from mike....

"Before I had spent a penny on wages or buying players, Newcastle United had cost me more than a quarter of a billion pounds."

"I then poured another £110 million into the club not to pay off the debt but just to reduce it. The club is still in debt. Even worse than that, the club still owes millions of pounds in transfer fees."

"I am Mike Ashley, not Mike Ashley a multi-billionaire with unlimited resources. Newcastle United and I can't do what other clubs can. We can't afford it."

The way you're trying to paint a picture I'm starting to think you're Decka himself.

Edited by Happy Face

Are you pointing out he stadium debt wasn't down to Ashley? Fuck me have a mars bar. :icon_lol:

Try telling Happy face that it's not down to Ashley, he's the one who is struggling.

Happy face trying to discard a stadium mortgage when comparing debt is a little unfair on Ashley, irrespective of how an accountant would describe it, it's there, it's a debt :lol: you're looking a bit desperate in this discussion btw.

I'm not trying to discard it. I'm saying it makes little difference to the current picture when you decide to it comes into play.

There's a reason to bring it into the frame at the point Ashley arrived....because that's when it became instantly payable in full and we probably couldn't get another one if we'd tried. That's what I did in graph 1.

There's a reason to include it all along...because whenever it was repayable...it was debt...which is what I've done in graph 2.

Irrspective of the mortgage though....the growth in net debt takes a massive leap in 2008 onwards.

Yes I read them and considered them pathetic and laughable, and slightly embarrassing for yourself.

Yes I read them and considered them pathetic and laughable, and slightly embarrassing for yourself.

:omgwank:

Sorry!

What are you on about?

Not wanting to drag it up because it's in the past and we should be moving on....but to answer your question, quotes from mike....

"Before I had spent a penny on wages or buying players, Newcastle United had cost me more than a quarter of a billion pounds."

"I then poured another £110 million into the club not to pay off the debt but just to reduce it. The club is still in debt. Even worse than that, the club still owes millions of pounds in transfer fees."

"I am Mike Ashley, not Mike Ashley a multi-billionaire with unlimited resources. Newcastle United and I can't do what other clubs can. We can't afford it."

The way you're trying to paint a picture I'm starting to think you're Decka himself.

You're starting to think, that's a first.

What are you on about?

You're starting to think, that's a first.

:lol:

Totally blahn oot.

I don't give a shit about a miniscule amount for a warehouse when he backs his managers with enough money to put together teams to qualify for the Champions League and increase the clubs revenue and profile while doing it.

What about him backing Souness to rip apart that team, where does that fit into your bromance?

so are you saying a football club should appoint a manager and not back their appointment ?

Mike Ashley will love you :lol:

I don't give a shit about a miniscule amount for a warehouse when he backs his managers with enough money to put together teams to qualify for the Champions League and increase the clubs revenue and profile while doing it.

What about him backing Souness to rip apart that team, where does that fit into your bromance?

so are you saying a football club should appoint a manager and not back their appointment ?

Mike Ashley will love you :lol:

Tbf like, as much a GS destroyed a team (much like when KD followed KK), you have to let the manager do his job. You cant put a manager in place and then not buy into his vision for the team. Unless you want to run it like we tried with KK and the reason KK walked.