In America

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Burn the Koresh Day was far more entertaining iyam.

I have kind of a funny story about that.

In 1993, I was living in a town about an hour north of Dallas (which would be about an hour, hour and a half south of Waco) going to school and living at my aunt's house. Around the end of February, I was all excited because I was going to fly back home to Illinois to see my friends and family for my birthday, so the week before, I was telling my Texan friends how I was going to go home and blah, blah, blah. The important thing here is, the small town in Illinois that I come from is called Mount Carmel.

I basically just flew back for the weekend (might have taken off Friday too), then I was back in Texas. I spent almost every waking minute going to one party or another, seeing all my friends I'd not seen for about a year, then it was back on the plane to return to school. The important thing here is that I didn't watch any TV.

So I get back to Texas late Sunday evening, and I'm all tired and kind of out-of-it at school the next day. A couple of my Texan friends are all, "Hey, so where did you say you were going?"

Me. "Mount Carmel."

Them. "Mount Carmel, where?"

Me. "Uh, Illinois? Why?"

That was when they told me about the FBI storming and subsequently accidentally setting fire to David Koresh's compound which he had taken to calling Mount Carmel.

Of course then I was all, "Wait- what makes you think I would have been at some religious cult's compound?"

Never really got a straight answer on that one. Lols.

:lol:

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere Canadians feel British.

maybe the ones in Victoria who talk with fake british accents ( i shit you not, they exist), maybe the ones who emmigrated or their children.

depends on when the poll ( if you really read something <cough> WUM <cough>) was taken. Its been lots of maple syrup and red and white flag waving since the olympics, but in general we don't toot our own horn a whole lot, in my experience anyway.

maybe the ones in Victoria who talk with fake british accents ( i shit you not, they exist), maybe the ones who emmigrated or their children.

depends on when the poll ( if you really read something <cough> WUM <cough>) was taken. Its been lots of maple syrup and red and white flag waving since the olympics, but in general we don't toot our own horn a whole lot, in my experience anyway.

Much more sensible than amerians, the same amount of guns and a fraction of gun crime.

..it's Burn the Koran day :lol: Just noticed Rio Ferdinand getting emiotional about it on his twitter.

With the anniversary of the September 11 attacks approaching, many Muslim-Americans are awaiting the date with anxiety and even fear. This year’s 9/11 has been declared by Florida Reverend Terry Jones to be “Burn the Koran Day.”

The Reverend, head of the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, organized the event and plans to continue with the project, despite extensive fine warnings from the city and greater worries that there could be violent opposition around the world.

Although the Center boasts 50 active members, the event’s Facebook page lists almost 8,000 fans and continues to be circulated around the internet. Last year, the Center made news for designing and distributing t-shirts that read, “Islam is the Devil.”

Speaking on the prospective burning, General David Petraeus has announced a fear that this event could endanger US soldiers in Afghanistan. His email to reporters read, “Images of the burning of a Qur'an would undoubtedly be used by extremists in Afghanistan—and around the world—to inflame public opinion and incite violence.”

In 2005, 15 were killed in riots in Afghanistan when an alleged news story that Qurans were being flushed down toilets in Guantanamo Bay was released. Petraeus fears that these same images can incite attacks in Afghanistan once more, “undermin[ing] our efforts to accomplish the critical mission here.”

The White House echoed the sentiments of General Petraeus in a press briefing today.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), an organization with around 1.5 million members, has also condemned the attacks, calling them, “selfish.” Head of the group, Richard Eubank, says, “The only thing Muslims will remember and our enemies will exploit was American laws permitted American citizens to burn the Islamic holy book without consequence.”

Earlier this week, several hundreds of people in Kabul protested the proposed burning, chanting “Death to America,” and setting US flags to fire.

At the National Press Club in Washington, DC, the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) organized an interfaith group of Muslim, Christian, and Jewish leaders who gathered to denounce the burning and stand against “an atmosphere of fear and intolerance.”

Speaking on the incident, senior adviser to the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC), Dr. Maher Hathout has said, “We should not honor it with any strong reaction. At the same time, we should invite people, our fellow citizens, for meetings, discussions, and symposia to let them know what this Qur'an is, suffice it to know that this person who is burning these copies will be burning the story of Moses, the story of Jesus, the honor of Mary, the whole saga of great Prophets, and the three religions from Noah to Abraham to Muhammad (PBUH).”

In preparation for the incident, Florida police have held meetings on how best to prepare for the incident and potential responses of violence. Few details, aside from a required ID checkpoint, have emerged however.

On a related note, the Department of Justice has been investigating a number of anti-Muslim incidents in the wake of the Park 51 mosque controversy and the Quran burning event. FBI agents and investigators are also looking into incidents of mosque vandalism.

Attorney General Eric Holder has allegedly called Reverend Jones’ event “idiotic” following a meeting with Muslim leaders this week.

According to Justice spokesman Matthew Miller, in the past 18 months, the Department of Justice “has prosecuted three men who burned a mosque in Tennessee, two others who burned an African-American church in Massachusetts and another who spray-painted threats on a synagogue in Alabama, among other cases. Violence against individuals or institutions based on religious bias is intolerable and the Department will bring anyone who commits such crimes to justice."

Yanks :lol:

It's International Burn the Koran day actually. Love the way the American's like to get us all involved in their retarded activities and sports.

Re: Canada. If we compare the US to England, then that makes Canada Scotland. Which is pretty accurate imo.

ummmm...no, A. canada has never been conquered by the US and is a sovereign state of its own

B. while we share geography, cultural differences are far greater than similarities

Aye, but:

You're situated North of the US.

You have a lot of mountains and lakes.

The population ratios are similar (with a lot of concentration in one area).

You're both ex-British colonies.

Canada must have a high proportion of Scottish immigrants (I know of loads of Scots who moved there). You even have a Scottish twang aboot your accent.

You like a drink. A lot.

Case rested. :(

I met these kids years ago in Holland, they were from Newfoundland, and they sounded more Irish than the Irish, in the main though Canadians speak a generic yank accent.

hahaha...how many canadians from different regions have you come into contact with? there are many different dialects/accents across canada just as there are in britain

re: NL (thats New Foundland and Labrador) yeah they dont quite sound like anyone

Edited by tooner

Much more sensible than amerians, the same amount of guns and a fraction of gun crime.

to true, but it (gun crime) is on the rise in major cities like T.O. and Vancouver. I blame Steven Harper, ;) thats our PM Stevie.

In 1993, I was living in a town about an hour north of Dallas (which would be about an hour, hour and a half south of Waco) going to school and living at my aunt's house. Around the end of February, I was all excited because I was going to fly back home to Illinois to see my friends and family for my birthday, so the week before, I was telling my Texan friends how I was going to go home and blah, blah, blah. The important thing here is, the small town in Illinois that I come from is called Mount Carmel.

I basically just flew back for the weekend (might have taken off Friday too), then I was back in Texas. I spent almost every waking minute going to one party or another, seeing all my friends I'd not seen for about a year, then it was back on the plane to return to school. The important thing here is that I didn't watch any TV.

So I get back to Texas late Sunday evening, and I'm all tired and kind of out-of-it at school the next day. A couple of my Texan friends are all, "Hey, so where did you say you were going?"

Me. "Mount Carmel."

Me. "Uh, Illinois? Why?"

That was when they told me about the FBI storming and subsequently accidentally setting fire to David Koresh's compound which he had taken to calling Mount Carmel.

Of course then I was all, "Wait- what makes you think I would have been at some religious cult's compound?"

;)

:)

Was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.

Canadians sound like Canadians. They have different regional dialects just like we do, or just like the people who live on either side of the Tyne. :)

Seriously though- they don't sound British, English, Scottish, or Irish. At least no Canadian I've met does. The Quebecois obviously sound French, but I can't tell you if their French sounds like Canadian French or French French.

The only thing y'all toot your horns about is hockey, Tooner in my experience, but most of the time you're right (unless your a Leafs fan in which case you're most likely completely deluded) so it's all good in my book.

EDIT: Unless you're Don Cherry in which case you're right about 1% of the time and completely balls-out, full of shit the other 99%. :)

Edited by Cid_MCDP

Me. "Mount Carmel."

Me. "Uh, Illinois? Why?"

;)

Canadians sound like Canadians. They have different regional dialects just like we do, or just like the people who live on either side of the Tyne. :)

Seriously though- they don't sound British, English, Scottish, or Irish. At least no Canadian I've met does. The Quebecois obviously sound French, but I can't tell you if their French sounds like Canadian French or French French.

The only thing y'all toot your horns about is hockey, Tooner in my experience, but most of the time you're right (unless your a Leafs fan in which case you're most likely completely deluded) so it's all good in my book.

they do not sound french, like the guy in one of the matrix movies says "I love the French language.... fantastic language, especially to curse with... it's like wiping your arse with silk"...quebecois sounds like an english person trying to speak french, i had a roomate who came back from a exchange program in france, he grew up in a french household and was for all intents and purposes french/ french canadian and was loudly and constantly derided by the children at his billets house for his "outrageous accent"

Me. "Mount Carmel."

Me. "Uh, Illinois? Why?"

EDIT: Unless you're Don Cherry in which case you're right about 1% of the time and completely balls-out, full of shit the other 99%. :)

dude! don't be that guy, you can't change who you support.....they used to be good you know.... ;)

Me. "Mount Carmel."

Me. "Uh, Illinois? Why?"

dude! don't be that guy, you can't change who you support.....they used to be good you know.... ;)

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis? I'm a lifelong (well, 20 years anyway) Kings fan! I gotta give Leafs stick whenever I can, much like a Mr. Gretzky did in Game 7 of the '93 playoffs... :)

Me. "Mount Carmel."

Me. "Uh, Illinois? Why?"

dude! don't be that guy, you can't change who you support.....they used to be good you know.... :)

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis? I'm a lifelong (well, 20 years anyway) Kings fan! I gotta give Leafs stick whenever I can, much like a Mr. Gretzky did in Game 7 of the '93 playoffs... :)

:):):);) ......so fucking close to the finals that year!

Me. "Mount Carmel."

Me. "Uh, Illinois? Why?"

dude! don't be that guy, you can't change who you support.....they used to be good you know.... :)

:):):);) ......so fucking close to the finals that year!

Not to further derail the thread with hockey talk, but you guys are on your way back. I'm not a fan of him personally, but Bruke's a smart GM, and despite the Seguin kid ending up a Bruin, I think trading for Kessel was smart. That kid creates offense at will when he's on. Plus the East is so wide open, aside from Pittsburgh, Washington, and Boston being locks for the post season, I wouldn't be surprised if anyone else made or missed. Just too many question marks in the East.

..it's Burn the Koran day ;) Just noticed Rio Ferdinand getting emiotional about it on his twitter.

With the anniversary of the September 11 attacks approaching, many Muslim-Americans are awaiting the date with anxiety and even fear. This year’s 9/11 has been declared by Florida Reverend Terry Jones to be “Burn the Koran Day.”

The Reverend, head of the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, organized the event and plans to continue with the project, despite extensive fine warnings from the city and greater worries that there could be violent opposition around the world.

Although the Center boasts 50 active members, the event’s Facebook page lists almost 8,000 fans and continues to be circulated around the internet. Last year, the Center made news for designing and distributing t-shirts that read, “Islam is the Devil.”

Speaking on the prospective burning, General David Petraeus has announced a fear that this event could endanger US soldiers in Afghanistan. His email to reporters read, “Images of the burning of a Qur'an would undoubtedly be used by extremists in Afghanistan—and around the world—to inflame public opinion and incite violence.”

In 2005, 15 were killed in riots in Afghanistan when an alleged news story that Qurans were being flushed down toilets in Guantanamo Bay was released. Petraeus fears that these same images can incite attacks in Afghanistan once more, “undermin[ing] our efforts to accomplish the critical mission here.”

The White House echoed the sentiments of General Petraeus in a press briefing today.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), an organization with around 1.5 million members, has also condemned the attacks, calling them, “selfish.” Head of the group, Richard Eubank, says, “The only thing Muslims will remember and our enemies will exploit was American laws permitted American citizens to burn the Islamic holy book without consequence.”

Earlier this week, several hundreds of people in Kabul protested the proposed burning, chanting “Death to America,” and setting US flags to fire.

At the National Press Club in Washington, DC, the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) organized an interfaith group of Muslim, Christian, and Jewish leaders who gathered to denounce the burning and stand against “an atmosphere of fear and intolerance.”

Speaking on the incident, senior adviser to the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC), Dr. Maher Hathout has said, “We should not honor it with any strong reaction. At the same time, we should invite people, our fellow citizens, for meetings, discussions, and symposia to let them know what this Qur'an is, suffice it to know that this person who is burning these copies will be burning the story of Moses, the story of Jesus, the honor of Mary, the whole saga of great Prophets, and the three religions from Noah to Abraham to Muhammad (PBUH).”

In preparation for the incident, Florida police have held meetings on how best to prepare for the incident and potential responses of violence. Few details, aside from a required ID checkpoint, have emerged however.

On a related note, the Department of Justice has been investigating a number of anti-Muslim incidents in the wake of the Park 51 mosque controversy and the Quran burning event. FBI agents and investigators are also looking into incidents of mosque vandalism.

Attorney General Eric Holder has allegedly called Reverend Jones’ event “idiotic” following a meeting with Muslim leaders this week.

According to Justice spokesman Matthew Miller, in the past 18 months, the Department of Justice “has prosecuted three men who burned a mosque in Tennessee, two others who burned an African-American church in Massachusetts and another who spray-painted threats on a synagogue in Alabama, among other cases. Violence against individuals or institutions based on religious bias is intolerable and the Department will bring anyone who commits such crimes to justice."

Yanks :)

It's International Burn the Koran day actually. Love the way the American's like to get us all involved in their retarded activities and sports.

Re: Canada. If we compare the US to England, then that makes Canada Scotland. Which is pretty accurate imo.

ummmm...no, A. canada has never been conquered by the US and is a sovereign state of its own

B. while we share geography, cultural differences are far greater than similarities

"conquered" in what way Mr Mooseshagger? :)

..it's Burn the Koran day ;) Just noticed Rio Ferdinand getting emiotional about it on his twitter.

Aye, but:

You're situated North of the US.

You have a lot of mountains and lakes.

The population ratios are similar (with a lot of concentration in one area).

You're both ex-British colonies.

Canada must have a high proportion of Scottish immigrants (I know of loads of Scots who moved there). You even have a Scottish twang aboot your accent.

You like a drink. A lot.

Case rested. :)

arse deep in snow for half the year

have a chip on their shoulders ref their far more important neighbours

_49019120_se3iwe55.gif

The pastor's even got a truck to prove it. ;) But does that mean 6pm-9pm in each individual time zone, or 11pm-2am here? I'm confused. :)

Though probably not as confused as the mere concept of time zones would leave him.

That photo raises a few questions, such as when did Dog the Bounty Hunter contract a wasting disease? And if I burn my Quran outside the 6 till 9 time slot will it feature in the final total?

Very good job I've got until early November to get answers.

_49019120_se3iwe55.gif

The pastor's even got a truck to prove it. ;) But does that mean 6pm-9pm in each individual time zone, or 11pm-2am here? I'm confused. :)

Though probably not as confused as the mere concept of time zones would leave him.

That photo raises a few questions, such as when did Dog the Bounty Hunter contract a wasting disease? And if I burn my Quran outside the 6 till 9 time slot will it feature in the final total?

Very good job I've got until early November to get answers.

as in invaded and beat your asses...

Guest Tuco Ramirez

as in invaded and beat your asses...

Beat wor "asses" arses by the way, it was English fighting English ya daft cunt. America have never won a war on their own, and never will. In war history we are the Real Madrid, that's a fact, America are like Man City.