In America

Guest Tuco Ramirez

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know but I'm not sure what Stevie says applies to the Quebecois ;)

Been to the Rockies / British Columbia though and I'd say it's very reminiscent of America in places but strangely Scottish in other parts, especially a lot of the hotels etc. being in the style of Highland lodges. I think a lot of sweaties settled there. I loved it, fwiw.

the first time I heard a newfoundland accent, I was sure it was a wind up, and then thanked god I don't sound that irish.

saying canadians are one people is pretty surprising for me, canadians would be quite far up my like list, french canadians quite the opposite. even talking about people from bc and alberta as the same is tough, but that's the same in most places.

..it's Burn the Koran day ;) Just noticed Rio Ferdinand getting emiotional about it on his twitter.

With the anniversary of the September 11 attacks approaching, many Muslim-Americans are awaiting the date with anxiety and even fear. This year’s 9/11 has been declared by Florida Reverend Terry Jones to be “Burn the Koran Day.”

The Reverend, head of the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, organized the event and plans to continue with the project, despite extensive fine warnings from the city and greater worries that there could be violent opposition around the world.

Although the Center boasts 50 active members, the event’s Facebook page lists almost 8,000 fans and continues to be circulated around the internet. Last year, the Center made news for designing and distributing t-shirts that read, “Islam is the Devil.”

Speaking on the prospective burning, General David Petraeus has announced a fear that this event could endanger US soldiers in Afghanistan. His email to reporters read, “Images of the burning of a Qur'an would undoubtedly be used by extremists in Afghanistan—and around the world—to inflame public opinion and incite violence.”

In 2005, 15 were killed in riots in Afghanistan when an alleged news story that Qurans were being flushed down toilets in Guantanamo Bay was released. Petraeus fears that these same images can incite attacks in Afghanistan once more, “undermin[ing] our efforts to accomplish the critical mission here.”

The White House echoed the sentiments of General Petraeus in a press briefing today.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), an organization with around 1.5 million members, has also condemned the attacks, calling them, “selfish.” Head of the group, Richard Eubank, says, “The only thing Muslims will remember and our enemies will exploit was American laws permitted American citizens to burn the Islamic holy book without consequence.”

Earlier this week, several hundreds of people in Kabul protested the proposed burning, chanting “Death to America,” and setting US flags to fire.

At the National Press Club in Washington, DC, the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) organized an interfaith group of Muslim, Christian, and Jewish leaders who gathered to denounce the burning and stand against “an atmosphere of fear and intolerance.”

Speaking on the incident, senior adviser to the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC), Dr. Maher Hathout has said, “We should not honor it with any strong reaction. At the same time, we should invite people, our fellow citizens, for meetings, discussions, and symposia to let them know what this Qur'an is, suffice it to know that this person who is burning these copies will be burning the story of Moses, the story of Jesus, the honor of Mary, the whole saga of great Prophets, and the three religions from Noah to Abraham to Muhammad (PBUH).”

In preparation for the incident, Florida police have held meetings on how best to prepare for the incident and potential responses of violence. Few details, aside from a required ID checkpoint, have emerged however.

On a related note, the Department of Justice has been investigating a number of anti-Muslim incidents in the wake of the Park 51 mosque controversy and the Quran burning event. FBI agents and investigators are also looking into incidents of mosque vandalism.

Attorney General Eric Holder has allegedly called Reverend Jones’ event “idiotic” following a meeting with Muslim leaders this week.

According to Justice spokesman Matthew Miller, in the past 18 months, the Department of Justice “has prosecuted three men who burned a mosque in Tennessee, two others who burned an African-American church in Massachusetts and another who spray-painted threats on a synagogue in Alabama, among other cases. Violence against individuals or institutions based on religious bias is intolerable and the Department will bring anyone who commits such crimes to justice."

Yanks :)

It's International Burn the Koran day actually. Love the way the American's like to get us all involved in their retarded activities and sports.

Re: Canada. If we compare the US to England, then that makes Canada Scotland. Which is pretty accurate imo.

ummmm...no, A. canada has never been conquered by the US and is a sovereign state of its own

B. while we share geography, cultural differences are far greater than similarities

"conquered" in what way Mr Mooseshagger? :)

as in invaded and beat your asses...

Beat wor "asses" arses by the way, it was English fighting English ya daft cunt. America have never won a war on their own, and never will. In war history we are the Real Madrid, that's a fact, America are like Man City.

hahaha...dude, i was saying that scotland had been invaded by england and were subsequently conquered, while the same is not true for canada in relation to the US....ya daft cunt!!!.... :)

Wasn't Canada as we know it basically formed by the (British) Hudson's Bay Company?

yep, them the french and the aboriginals......been working together for over 400 years.

Nearly lost at Waco. ;)

Losing away at Vietnam for them, was like losing 2-0 in the FA Cup Third Round away to West Allotment Celtic.

i think it is funny that you have such an inferiority complex when it comes to the US, you can't handle the fact that they became the super power after WW2...jumping to conclusions all the time, truth is Canada doesn't (traditionally) give a fuck what the states thinks (although our current PM is a bit of a douche republican wannabe and has done everything in his power to "americanise" canadian politics)

Edited by tooner

Is there any real need to use words like 'douche'? ;)

no more reason than there is to use fuck, wanker....but I take your point, he's a douche nozzle

We'll it's just so 90's sitcom. :)

at the end of the day though parky, Canadians are just the mackems of North America aren't they ?

no more reason than there is to use fuck, wanker....but I take your point, he's a douche nozzle

at the end of the day though parky, Canadians are just the mackems of North America aren't they ?

must......resist.......troll!!!

:)

hahaha...dude, i was saying that scotland had been invaded by england and were subsequently conquered, while the same is not true for canada in relation to the US....ya daft cunt!!!.... ;)

Well in that case I suggest that the history of your mother country isnt that high on the curriculum in Canada then.....the land of the Scots has never been inavded and conquered by any other nation.....it's been colonised to a small extent by the two greatest Empires the world has seen but conquered by no fucker. Bit like Thailand :)

hahaha...dude, i was saying that scotland had been invaded by england and were subsequently conquered, while the same is not true for canada in relation to the US....ya daft cunt!!!.... :)

Well in that case I suggest that the history of your mother country isnt that high on the curriculum in Canada then.....the land of the Scots has never been inavded and conquered by any other nation.....it's been colonised to a small extent by the two greatest Empires the world has seen but conquered by no fucker. Bit like Thailand :)

PL that comment was squarely aimed at Stevie not you....and admitedly the conquered comment is straight out of trainspotting. ;)

anyway canada is my mother country, and we like scotland (apparently) and thailand haven't be conquered by any fucker either... :)

Is there any real need to use words like 'douche'? :)

and he thinks I'm joking ;)

Is there any real need to use words like 'douche'? :)

and he thinks I'm joking ;)

i'm willing to bet you've never been to Canada LM....please prove me wrong... :)

Scotland Conquered (1651-1650)

From Cromwell’s point of view his English republic was in danger. He begged the Scots to reconsider - they wouldn't and he invaded. The Scots fought well initially, cornering Cromwell at Dunbar, but, urged on by their ministers (the political commissars of their day), they descended from their commanding position and were massacred. Within a year Scotland was conquered, its parliament was abolished and the Scots were forced into an incorporating union with England. Scotland became an occupied country with Cromwellian citadels imposed on Ayr, Leith, Perth, Inverness and Inverlochy. It was the first time in history that the nation of Scotland had been conquered.

The situation wasn't to last. The Parliamentary Union of 1652 and the birth of Commonwealth of Scotland, England and Ireland brought an uneasy peace which people accepted for purely practical reasons. However, when Cromwell died and the republic fell apart, few in Scotland opposed the Restoration of Charles II.

PL...you got some esplainin to doooo!

but seriously, this is from a BBC site.

granted Canada has only been around as a soveriegn state since 1867, maybe not long enough to have been conquered. Eventually the states will try and do it.

Edited by tooner

From Cromwell’s point of view his English republic was in danger. He begged the Scots to reconsider - they wouldn't and he invaded. The Scots fought well initially, cornering Cromwell at Dunbar, but, urged on by their ministers (the political commissars of their day), they descended from their commanding position and were massacred. Within a year Scotland was conquered, its parliament was abolished and the Scots were forced into an incorporating union with England. Scotland became an occupied country with Cromwellian citadels imposed on Ayr, Leith, Perth, Inverness and Inverlochy. It was the first time in history that the nation of Scotland had been conquered.

The situation wasn't to last. The Parliamentary Union of 1652 and the birth of Commonwealth of Scotland, England and Ireland brought an uneasy peace which people accepted for purely practical reasons. Howevlier, when Cromwell died and the republic fell apart, few in Scotland opposed the Restoration of Charles II.

The union of the crowns was in 1603....Scotland and England had the same king during the civil war. The civil war was a nationwide punch up to establish an evil old bigot as ruler of Great Britain, as opposed to a bunch of inbred Scottish aristocrats. It was between two factions fighting for control, not two different nations.

Canadians...I wouldnt say you're all thick but one half of the country speaks French and the other half fuckin let them ;)

The situation wasn't to last. The Parliamentary Union of 1652 and the birth of Commonwealth of Scotland, England and Ireland brought an uneasy peace which people accepted for purely practical reasons. Howevlier, when Cromwell died and the republic fell apart, few in Scotland opposed the Restoration of Charles II.

The union of the crowns was in 1603....Scotland and England had the same king during the civil war. The civil war was a nationwide punch up to establish an evil old bigot as ruler of Great Britain, as opposed to a bunch of inbred Scottish aristocrats. It was between two factions fighting for control, not two different nations.

Canadians...I wouldnt say you're all thick but one half of the country speaks French and the other half fuckin let them ;)

fair enough, my knowledge of scottish history is admittedly (and obviously) limited.

hardly half speak french, I'd say closer to a 1/4 or at most 1/3, and the inclusion of french as a second language as well as the trappings of french canadian culture are guaranteed by the constitution, must have been the only way to get the frech to sign on to confederation.

as an aside, since they were singled out for having crazy accents, the population of NL were the last ones to sign on to confederation til the middle of the 20th century and still flew their own flag which looks just like the irish one except there is pink instead of orange.

Edited by tooner

US pastor Terry Jones cancels Koran burning

The pastor of a small US church who planned to burn copies of the Koran on the anniversary of 9/11 has cancelled his protest.

Terry Jones said he was calling off the event after the group behind a planned Islamic centre near Ground Zero in New York agreed to relocate it.

But the cultural centre's organisers said they had no plans to move it.

Mr Jones' plan had been internationally condemned and had already sparked many protests around the world.

Mr Jones, pastor of the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, which has fewer than 50 members, had named Saturday International Burn a Koran Day.

But at a news conference, he said he would now travel to New York on Saturday to meet those behind the Islamic centre and discuss its relocation.

President Barack Obama had earlier warned Mr Jones the burning would be "a recruitment bonanza" for al-Qaeda.

The US State Department had warned US citizens of an increased risk of attack, while international police organisation Interpol also issued a warning of the risk of violent response.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11255366

"US Defence Secretary Robert Gates has called the pastor and asked him to cancel Saturday's protest."

I was going to complain about the ridiculous attention this barnpot has been getting when I noticed Mark Mardell's quote on the BBC...

How come an extremist planning a book-burning that would disgrace any time after the Middle Ages has some of the top politicians in the West jerking around like puppets on a string ?”

End Quote

Mark Mardell

BBC North America editor

Leave the fucker to it and don't report it. It's not news. If it was someone in South Shields and the Gazette put it on page 3 I'd say they were daft for giving it such attention.

'International draw Muhammad day' was news, when thousands upon thousands protested by indulging their freedom of expression. This is a single dunce who seems to have far more koran's than I'd expect of him. Who's supplying them? If I were to burn one I'd have to go and buy it first. Who'd be mug enough to do that?

Canadians...I wouldnt say you're all thick but one half of the country speaks French and the other half fuckin let them :)

There were conflicts between England and Scotland after the union between the two kingdoms though. Both before and after the English Civil War, which you refer to. The clue's in the name there btw ;)

Edited by alex