Ten years of Shola.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Not the hatrick itself, which was welcome of course, but it summed up ameobi. People will look at it and think, hmmm, hatrick he must be a quality player. When in reality, the goals weren't that great. Contrast it with Defoe. Now that was a hat trick.

Did Defoe's count double or something?

Nothing is good enough for our leeds friend, remember. He thinks Keegan is a cunt for not being as good as Alex Ferguson.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the hatrick itself, which was welcome of course, but it summed up ameobi. People will look at it and think, hmmm, hatrick he must be a quality player. When in reality, the goals weren't that great. Contrast it with Defoe. Now that was a hat trick.

Did Defoe's count double or something?

Nothing is good enough for our leeds friend, remember. He thinks Keegan is a cunt for not being as good as Alex Ferguson.

With that theory, how little must he feel about O'Leary? ;)

Tbh, Shola only bulked up after the injury problems so you're talking shite. Please take your zany humour back to N-O.

Not really mate, you can't argue that his extra bulk has helped his injuries especially after he's repeatedly broken down and had operations after gaining the weight.

found the vid, nice to see. Can't see much of Duff on it but he's there too.

haha so shola knows about the goat anyway

Shola, or Sholie as a certain member calls him, made his debut ten years ago today. 62 goals and 276 appearances later he's still going strong (?) in black and white. It's hard to remember a player who has divided the support so much for his on field exploits. Bobby Robson said in 2000, "Shola Ameobi is the future of NUFC", he was right as well. I think a lot of people are all too willing to give Shola a hard time on the pitch, but he deserves it sometimes, he doesn't look interested, and when you look at his better performances for the toon (Chelsea h 2004, Leverkusen a 2003, Liverpool a 2004, Sunderland h 2005) you have to look at his toon career as one which has saw gross underachievement. That's how I see it, other people see it as the fact he's just shite. Probably somewhere in the middle is true, but I spoke to a guy last week, and he dislikes Shola's game and attitude so much he said to me when he scores he doesn't count it as a goal. It's a shame this is how he'll be remembered off many.

A good opening post on this thread. I've highlighted the reported comment as the sort of negativity that just does my head in. Elsewhere on here someone criticises Shola for scoring a poor quality hat trick - for fuck's sake man!

Shola on reliable authority is a very good lad who lacks aggression from a standing start- people who ought to know tell me so! Has a lot of natural ability but lacks consistency, is injury prone and has underachieved hugely. Seen plenty of worse forwards but to be fair they didn't last anything like as long. For the club and his sake he probably should have been moved on a while back but............

......there are many people on and off the pitch at SJP down the years far more deserving of the abuse that Shola cops. If he falls on his arse today I won't boo him and if he scores I will cheer because I'm not a miserable twat - I'm calm!

Shola, or Sholie as a certain member calls him, made his debut ten years ago today. 62 goals and 276 appearances later he's still going strong (?) in black and white. It's hard to remember a player who has divided the support so much for his on field exploits. Bobby Robson said in 2000, "Shola Ameobi is the future of NUFC", he was right as well. I think a lot of people are all too willing to give Shola a hard time on the pitch, but he deserves it sometimes, he doesn't look interested, and when you look at his better performances for the toon (Chelsea h 2004, Leverkusen a 2003, Liverpool a 2004, Sunderland h 2005) you have to look at his toon career as one which has saw gross underachievement. That's how I see it, other people see it as the fact he's just shite. Probably somewhere in the middle is true, but I spoke to a guy last week, and he dislikes Shola's game and attitude so much he said to me when he scores he doesn't count it as a goal. It's a shame this is how he'll be remembered off many.

A good opening post on this thread. I've highlighted the reported comment as the sort of negativity that just does my head in. Elsewhere on here someone criticises Shola for scoring a poor quality hat trick - for fuck's sake man!

Shola on reliable authority is a very good lad who lacks aggression from a standing start - people who ought to know tell me so! Has a lot of natural ability but lacks consistency, is injury prone and has underachieved hugely. Seen plenty of worse forwards but to be fair they didn't last anything like as long. For the club and his sake he probably should have been moved on a while back but............

......there are many people on and off the pitch at SJP down the years far more deserving of the abuse that Shola cops. If he falls on his arse today I won't boo him and if he scores I will cheer because I'm not a miserable twat - I'm calm!

Thats spot on, he should have been like John Fashanu. Shola is the perfect illustration of how you need genuine desire to succeed at the top level in football.

Shola on reliable authority is a very good lad who lacks aggression from a standing start - people who ought to know tell me so! Has a lot of natural ability but lacks consistency, is injury prone and has underachieved hugely. Seen plenty of worse forwards but to be fair they didn't last anything like as long. For the club and his sake he probably should have been moved on a while back but............

Thats spot on, he should have been like John Fashanu. Shola is the perfect illustration of how you need genuine desire to succeed at the top level in football.

Yeah, i've never subscribed to the view he's shit, because he isn't. He lacks the hunger, aggression and application required to make the most of what he has. He also, years ago needed a good long spell out the team to sort out his long running injury/fitness problems and some better coaching to teach him some of the basics he should be doing, sadly none of that happened.

• 2 weeks later...

If only he played like he did tonight all the time eh? He could easily have been in England international if he had any sort of consistancy throughout his career, it's a real shame that he's seen as such a joke because obviously on his day he is extremely dangerous.

This is the sort of game he pulls out of the hat every few years that makes you feel like hes worth keeping around...

If only he played like he did tonight all the time eh? He could easily have been in England international if he had any sort of consistancy throughout his career, it's a real shame that he's seen as such a joke because obviously on his day he is extremely dangerous.

This is the sort of game he pulls out of the hat every few years that makes you feel like hes worth keeping around...

:lol:

It's normally against us!

He has a kind of angry look about him when he plays well. If he looks calm he plays shit.

That is spot on - you would think one of the various coaches who have worked with would have realised that he needs to be riled up - its all psychological he's just been too damn comfortable here and lacked that extra couple of percent in both training and gameplay - that performance last night annoyed me because if he is capable of that he should show it more often not just when his contract is up for renewal or once in a blue moon when he can be arsed

So should he get a start ahead of Carrol on Sunday.

Got his chance, scored two cracking goals......

Nice one for Hughton to ponder. :lol:

Not for me. Carroll is the far superior player. His link up play is much better and you need that when leading the line on your own.

I don't think putting in 1 good performance is worthy of him getting a place. I'd rather still see Ranger ahead of him in the pecking ord4r.