Newcastle Vs. Blackpool

loonyTOON

Oh well!

Ho hum, etc, etc.

We actually had as many clear cut chances, (if not more), than we did against Villa. It was definitely just 'one of those days'. The only worry is we were the better side at Molinuex the other week and only got a point and today we wasted numerous good chances against a very ordinary Blackpool team who probably couldn't believe their luck.

We need to be a lot more clinical and any inflated egos will hopefully have had a kick up the arse today.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen on motd and got to give credit to gilks really kept them in it, 7 shots on target fir us to their 3 and we've lost two nil, one of those days

Having seen the replays, he did make better saves than i gave him credit for, but Nolan and Barton shouldn't have given him a chance to save them from the positions they were in. But easilly on another day one of those or the Williamson header goes in and its a different result, so people don't need to hit the panic button yet!

Edited by Papa Lazaru

As expected though, Ben Arfa looks ace! HAS to play instead of Smith/Nolan.

And you judged this on the 4 second clip that match of the day showed of him :D

No, watched football first. For the time he was on the field, looks v talented.

How did barfa look? Didn't see him on highlights obviously

My iPod wants barfa to be "bargain" I like that

You seen the one clip when they were talking about blackpool on the break. did a few twists and turns and made some good space and shot which got deflected and led to their goal...

How did barfa look? Didn't see him on highlights obviously

My iPod wants barfa to be "bargain" I like that

You seen the one clip when they were talking about blackpool on the break. did a few twists and turns and made some good space and shot which got deflected and led to their goal...

No, the one where he picks the ball up outside the box, holds on to it, then breaks past three defenders towards the by-line, skips inwards and gets a cross in.

We had the chance today to prove that the Villa game was us setting out our stall for the season. Instead we've proved exactly what it was.... a freak result.

Let us not forget that we beat Blackpool 4-1 here only 5 months ago. What the fuck has gone wrong since then?

I'd say yesterday was more of a freak result...after however many games undefeated at home.

This forum is a real glass half empty/half full kind of place. Shite result but it's not unbelievable that there was a hangover following the the villa game.

Hughton's apparently gone from a cool, calm, honest boss due much respect to an incapable dunce in 90 minutes.

While it's true we'd have won if we took our chances, I think the problem was we were a bit complacent. We played at a high tempo for about the first 20 mins and after that we eased off and that's what gave Blackpool the chance to come into the match. A few other problems were Smith being back to his old, shite self; Jonas and Enrique trying to win the game by themselves instead of playing their normal game; Nolan being far too close to Carroll, more or less playing as a CF himself, meaning there was a big gap between midfield and attack so we were launching it to Carroll far too often (we should be good enough to beat Blackpool at home by playing football). The final substitution played into their hands too. When we went to a 4-3-3 with Ben Arfa being one of the midfield 3 we lost all our shape. Agree about not hitting the panic button and hope it's made Hughton's mind up about a few things (like not playing Smith at home etc.).

While it's true we'd have won if we took our chances, I think the problem was we were a bit complacent. We played at a high tempo for about the first 20 mins and after that we eased off and that's what gave Blackpool the chance to come into the match. A few other problems were Smith being back to his old, shite self; Jonas and Enrique trying to win the game by themselves instead of playing their normal game; Nolan being far too close to Carroll, more or less playing as a CF himself, meaning there was a big gap between midfield and attack so we were launching it to Carroll far too often (we should be good enough to beat Blackpool at home by playing football). The final substitution played into their hands too. When we went to a 4-3-3 with Ben Arfa being one of the midfield 3 we lost all our shape. Agree about not hitting the panic button and hope it's made Hughton's mind up about a few things (like not playing Smith at home etc.).

bang on there Alex - Smith just isn't up for it anymore and with his reputation is a liability every time he tackles

those 3 points could come back to haunt us at season's end

Just getting around to saying my bit from the game. First 10-15mins for me you could see we were sitting back and letting them play, no closing down and generally little from us overall. We didn't get into the game until mid way through the half and by then I think we had set our stall out. I honestly think the players thought they had this game won before we had kicked a ball and that was the main issue. We were shocking in the centre. A mix of not closing down when we didnt have the ball and when we did we were shaite with it (Smith and Barton clearly had each others boots on yesterday). Also when we had possession we had no movement. In the end it was either a winger running into a dead end or putting in a cross that was too low / overhit or hoofing the ball to carrol. Carrol was good in the opening 15 and won most things in the air but we wernt really picking things up from him, no anticipation from Nolan, only reacting afterwards.

As for Ban Arfa, I dont think we had much time to see much of him plus we had 3 up front then. When Shola came on I thought he was going to push Lovenkrands out wide and not keep him up front. The last goal was only because we were pushing for an equaliser so much and they got us on the counter. We had a good period of pressure at the end and really could have nicked one, so I dont blame CH for changing it and trying at the end. But, he (Ben Arfa) did look cannt what I seen of him. Couple of good balls in, decent movement and not selfish with it.

I blame the players more than CH for this result. If we had applied ourselves and fought for the win like we did v Villa they this could have been won.

Changes for next game? Id like to see Tiote in Smiths roll. Id like Ben Arfa to get a start but not sure at who's expense. In a way Id like to see what he was like in the centre in place of Nolan.

Edit : We wern't fighting for europe after the Villa game and we arn't getting relegated after this one.

Edited by JawD

Yup. I'd also add that I think we're missing a trick up front. This is not a dig at Nolan, but you just feel if there was something really quick and half decent next to Carroll (who must have won about 95% of everything in the air yesterday btw) we could be reaping some rewards here. However, we've now missed that boat till January at least.

Also just to mention Routledge, who destroyed there LB for pace in the first few minutes then never attacked him again till the 70th minute - then was taken off. Seemed like a wasted opportunity, especially with Carroll winning everything.

Reminded me a bit of the Fulham result a few seasons ago, all the game and chances but no rub of the green. I'm not overly worried to be honest, but this is where we see if Hughton has the skills and bottle to make hard decisions.

I don't understand why we sat back so much. It also must be clear to all concerned that Smith and Nolan are pretty much finished at this level. AT HOME we have to have two strikers on the park and I don't mean Nolan or its going to be pretty tough to get wins with Carroll foraging alone.

We played at a high tempo for about the first 20 mins and after that we eased off and that's what gave Blackpool the chance to come into the match.

First 10-15mins for me you could see we were sitting back and letting them play, no closing down and generally little from us overall. We didn't get into the game until mid way through the half.

:D

Isn't it marvellous how completely differently people can see the same game?

I don't understand why we sat back so much. It also must be clear to all concerned that Smith and Nolan are pretty much finished at this level. AT HOME we have to have two strikers on the park and I don't mean Nolan or its going to be pretty tough to get wins with Carroll foraging alone.

''Pipe down'' Parky.

''Pipe down'' Parky.

:D