Shearer the centre half?

Scottish Mag

Alan Shearer could be fielded as an emergency centre-half when New castle put their Carling Cup ambitions to the test at Wigan tonight as Graeme Souness attempts to man age a defensive crisis which threatens the club's in volvement in the compet ition.

A manager already missing four senior stoppers with injuries has found himself with a major selection dilemma after it emerged that Titus Bramble has suffered a groin problem which has put his participation at the JJB Stadium in doubt.

And with just three other defenders named in his 18- man squad last night, Souness will be forced to take radical action should the former England Under-21 international fail to recover his fitness in time for this evening's fourth-round tie. Souness will consider partnering Jean-Alain Boumsong with Peter Ramage and switching Nolberto Solano to the right- back role he has experience of while playing in South America.

But the United boss is understood to favour leaving Ramage where he is and instead asking Shearer to drop into the heart of his defence. The prospect was discussed at the club's training ground yesterday.

Souness will give Bramble as much time as possible to recover. But, given his horrendous luck with injuries this season, the Scot is keen to have a well-rehearsed contingency plan and his skipper has been sounded out about the situation already.

With Steven Taylor, Stephen Carr, Celestine Babayaro and Craig Moore all sidelined, Newcastle's unfortunate manager will have no choice but to play someone out of position should Bramble, as expected, not make it.

If it turns out to be Shearer, United will be below strength at the front as well as the back, and, with Michael Owen missing with a torn groin muscle, Michael Chopra will hope to get the nod to partner Shola Ameobi.

For a manager keen to progress in the competition, the latest injury problems to beset his squad have come as a major blow. That familiar problems continue to blight his best efforts is the source of great frustration to Souness.

Meanwhile, the British Olympic Association's medical staff have become the latest to try to get to the bottom of Kieron Dyer's injury problems. The 26-year-old has been sent to the Olympic Medical Institute in Harrow, Essex, in a bid to further investigate the problems blighting his career.

Striker Michael Owen will also play no part when Newcastle United travel to Wigan Athletic in round four of the League Cup tonight.

As recently as Sunday evening assistant manager Alan Murray declared himself "very hopeful" of having the club's record signing available, only for it to emerge he has torn a groin muscle.

United say they are hopeful Dyer will be fit to face Arsenal a week on Saturday but sending the player to spend five days at the centre shows their desperation to finally resolve the saga. "Kieron is spending five days in the residential unit and is being constantly assessed," Souness revealed.

"We did it just to make sure our staff are not missing anything. Another view on things would not do any harm.

"Kieron has been around here with no end in sight for him so it is good to have a change of venue."

The centre is designed to fast-track the recovery of injured athletes through individually-tailored programmes. Dyer is still to play consecutive matches for United this season as he struggles to overcome a problem manifesting itself in the hamstring.

And although Dyer has refused to set a date for his return after a series of comeback dates have been and gone this season, Souness said: "I would think he could be in the running for the Arsenal game."

And the Scot is now optimistic Owen will be available for Saturday's Premiership visit of Aston Villa after the groin problem which kept him out of the defeats at Chelsea and Everton proved more serious than first thought.

"Two weeks ago this Friday he clipped a few balls into an empty net and felt something," Souness explained, "but we took him to London (for the Chelsea game) and at first we thought it would be a slight strain. It has turned out to be a tear, but we hope he is ready this weekend."

Timescales for the predicted returns of injured United players have proved over-optimistic all season and it would seem highly unlikely anyone would return to fitness two weeks after a groin tear. Four to six weeks is a more normal recovery period for injuries of that nature.

Souness, though, has been keen to stress Owen's problem is not a serious one.

"Surgery was not considered for Michael Owen," he said. "Not at all.

"It is a groin problem which was more than just a strain and he is extremely frustrated by it."

The news comes three days after Albert Luque, the most long-term of United's absentees this term, made his return to first-team action as a second-half substitute.

possibly, it might turn out to be a wonderful plan or he might get run off the park by roberts. if we lose with shearer at CB N-O will erupt!!!!

62711[/snapback]

It'll be like the LA riots, message-board style.

possibly, it might turn out to be a wonderful plan or he might get run off the park by roberts. if we lose with shearer at CB N-O will erupt!!!!

62711[/snapback]

It'll be like the LA riots, message-board style.

62716[/snapback]

It would be worth it, just to see the fallout! ;)

Or an arguably even better option would be to give Ramage a go in his more favoured position (centre half), move Solano to right back (used to play there, so has experience)  and bring Bowyer into the right hand side of midfield

62766[/snapback]

I know Solano has played there for Peru on occasion (I remember him playing there once during the 2nd half under Robson too) but he doesn't strike me as having the ability to play there in this country. He helps the full-back out when he plays on the right but I'm not convinced he can tackle/defend.

Or an arguably even better option would be to give Ramage a go in his more favoured position (centre half), move Solano to right back (used to play there, so has experience)  and bring Bowyer into the right hand side of midfield

62766[/snapback]

I know Solano has played there for Peru on occasion (I remember him playing there once during the 2nd half under Robson too) but he doesn't strike me as having the ability to play there in this country. He helps the full-back out when he plays on the right but I'm not convinced he can tackle/defend.

62767[/snapback]

With the option being Amdy Faye even CLOSER to the goal with NOONE covering behind him I think I'd take a chance with Nobby

62766[/snapback]

62767[/snapback]

With the option being Amdy Faye even CLOSER to the goal with NOONE covering behind him I think I'd take a chance with Nobby

62768[/snapback]

If Carr was fit, I'd go with Ramage but I think Faye is probably the best option.

Timescales for the predicted returns of injured United players have proved over-optimistic all season and it would seem highly unlikely anyone would return to fitness two weeks after a groin tear. Four to six weeks is a more normal recovery period for injuries of that nature.

62691[/snapback]

:angry: Aaaaaarrrrgggggh!!!! ;)

BTW, does anyone watch the reserves, how's that young lad Huntingdon progressing?

62766[/snapback]

62767[/snapback]

62768[/snapback]

If Carr was fit, I'd go with Ramage but I think Faye is probably the best option.

62769[/snapback]

I can't see how Faye is the best option for anything other than slapping in the face with a wet fish. He's not good enough for the squad in his supposed propper position let alone in the team out of position.

I'd rather play one of the juniors.

Btw will Roberts and Camera be playing? I thought Jewell had said he was going to change about nine of their team.