1989/1990

Guest Tuco Ramirez

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tuco Ramirez
I used to have an audio cassette with Mick Lowes' commentary for all of 92/93 which made great listening at the time.

Kelly......KELLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Can't believe I've found this.

Liam O'Brien's best goal at Roker Park, (and it isn't the free kick). :lol:

I was at both games shown and I didn't even know that Hardyman got sent off as we were still going mental over Budgies save. The 1-1 game and the Roker end was more packed that day as the mackems tried to give us less tickets by closing a section, the result being that more Mags managed to get in by hook or crook and were more tightly squeezed together, O'Brien's chip was class and seeing it on the telly and us Mags just swaying forward as much as jumping up and down is a sight I thought was lost, glad someone kept it and put it on youtube).

:icon_lol:

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Liam O'Brien's best goal at Roker Park, (and it isn't the free kick). :lol:

I was at both games shown and I didn't even know that Hardyman got sent off as we were still going mental over Budgies save. The 1-1 game and the Roker end was more packed that day as the mackems tried to give us less tickets by closing a section, the result being that more Mags managed to get in by hook or crook and were more tightly squeezed together, O'Brien's chip was class and seeing it on the telly and us Mags just swaying forward as much as jumping up and down is a sight I thought was lost, glad someone kept it and put it on youtube).

:icon_lol:

If you look about 49-51 seconds I was behind the white entrance thing about 20 feet up if it was an inch higher you'd see me. That goal gave me more joy than his winner the season after, in fact without doubt the goal is my fav toon goal pre Keegan. See when the toon scored to our left there was 100 toon in the mackem Paddock and they went mental, and the mackems had a right go was like the wild west for a few minutes, Stevie Watson missed an open goal with a diving header about a minute later, would o been even better.

Liam O'Brien's best goal at Roker Park, (and it isn't the free kick). :icon_lol:

:omgwank:

If you look about 49-51 seconds I was behind the white entrance thing about 20 feet up if it was an inch higher you'd see me. That goal gave me more joy than his winner the season after, in fact without doubt the goal is my fav toon goal pre Keegan. See when the toon scored to our left there was 100 toon in the mackem Paddock and they went mental, and the mackems had a right go was like the wild west for a few minutes, Stevie Watson missed an open goal with a diving header about a minute later, would o been even better.

That was a very young team we were forced to put out through being skint and having a load of injuries, the mackems were back in the 2nd div after their one season in the 1st after the pure spawnyness of getting promoted by default after Swindons betting scandal*. Most Mags were a little nervous looking at our side and thinking the mackems had more experience in their side, we were the better side after we equalised and you're right, I'd forgotten all about Watsons header, I still don't know how he missed it actually, he flew at it like Billy the fish! Ive been to Roker four times and I can't think of one game where there wasn't scuffling and fighting in their ends at some point in the match, it just always happened. In the 2-1 win in '92 play stopped for about 5-8 mins after both our goals because of rucks in the clock stand paddocks and Fulwell end.

*When you look back at how Swindon were dealt with then, you just know for a fact that a Spurs, West Ham etc wouldn't have got punished as bad as Swindon did. For any one that is unaware of what happened, Swindon beat the Mackems in the play off final at Wembley, 1-0, (should have been more), got promoted but at the time were under investigation for an FA cup tie two years previous at SJP where the Swindon manager, Lou Macari had a big bet that we would beat them. We went on to finish 8th in the top flight and had a decent side with Gazza really starting to show what a player he was going to be, Swindon I'm sure were in the 3rd div. Like I said, the football league knew what happened, let Swindon compete in the play offs, saw them win it, then relegated them from the the 1st div to the 3rd, giving their 1st div place to the mackems instead, I remember Mags going fucking ballistic at the time as the play offs were still fairly new and we were still pissed off that finishing 3rd hadn't got us automatic promotion, a few thought that we should have been promoted instead of Sunderland due to our higher league position, (they finished 6th). There were no phone-ins in those days so some did the only thing they could by phoning Alan Robsons nightowls! :lol:

That cunt was fucking seething that his usual grannies/loners/suicide callers were being replaced by infuriated Mags doing their nuts. Eventually he stopped taking their calls but not before he nailed his colours to the mast by saying that Sunderland should have got the promotion place, he never 'made any noise' about that in the one embarrassing season SJH put him on the SJP tannoy, the fucking annoying ginger prick he was.

Liam O'Brien's best goal at Roker Park, (and it isn't the free kick). :icon_lol:

:D

Paid a tenner to some mackem on turnstile 11 at the Roker end....100s were doing it, we were told "10 or 11" so there were at least two mackems pleased to see us that day :D

Never seen that before, it looks incredible when you compare it to a lot of club's clap-a-thons when theres a goal scored nowadays....if anyone was too young for the terraces I feel a bit sorry for you...most weeks they were great in a tragic sort of way (did we complain much pre Hillsborough? :lol: ) but some for some games like this one it was just fuckin magic :omgwank:

:D

Paid a tenner to some mackem on turnstile 11 at the Roker end....100s were doing it, we were told "10 or 11" so there were at least two mackems pleased to see us that day :D

Never seen that before, it looks incredible when you compare it to a lot of club's clap-a-thons when theres a goal scored nowadays....if anyone was too young for the terraces I feel a bit sorry for you...most weeks they were great in a tragic sort of way (did we complain much pre Hillsborough? :lol: ) but some for some games like this one it was just fuckin magic :omgwank:

I havnt seen big liams chip for years. Great goal. I was there too, looks fucking class the whole roker end full of geordies going fucking nuts. Happy days. Was in the clock stand seats when hardyman tried to kick budgie's head off. The dirty cunt.

I remember after that 1-1 one of the Mackems in the pub I used to drink in asking me what all that "tippy-tappy" stuff we played that day was - "football" was my reply.

Swindon failed to pay enough for their lawyers - a mistake Spurs didn't make a few years later for a much bigger crime (tax fiddling).

I remember after that 1-1 one of the Mackems in the pub I used to drink in asking me what all that "tippy-tappy" stuff we played that day was - "football" was my reply.

Swindon failed to pay enough for their lawyers - a mistake Spurs didn't make a few years later for a much bigger crime (tax fiddling).

You could argue that Pompey and West Ham were lucky to only get fines as well. The Premier league looks after its own.

You could argue that Pompey and West Ham were lucky to only get fines as well. The Premier league looks after its own.

I'd have relegated West Ham, Liverpool and Man Utd over Tevez and Mascherano - never would have happened in a million years though.

• 1 month later...

Watch the crowd and listen to the noise last 15 seconds, I'll never forget that, moved about 60 foot, when that goal went in I was in the corner there. Cloudy memory like, I thought we went 2-0 up. The black lad for them is Kevin Campbell.

Great game that Stevie. I was in the milburn paddocks for that.

Lots of people around me were leaving at 2-4.

They must have been gutted ;)

One of my mates left, he did the same for the Bradford game too a minute before McGhee's wonder goal :razz:

Watch the crowd and listen to the noise last 15 seconds, I'll never forget that, moved about 60 foot, when that goal went in I was in the corner there. Cloudy memory like, I thought we went 2-0 up. The black lad for them is Kevin Campbell.

;)

We went mental when the fifth went in, I'm sure John Anderson missed a penalty in this game as well, (don't know if Quinny went off injured?).

I think the number 10 who got their third is Gary Macallister with hair...Roy Aitken's debut that day too.

Christ knows how many left....must've been at least a third of those who were there at the start ;)

5-4 Fantastic.

The daft personal memory was being in Inventions (now the Crow's Nest) on soft drinks after the game. I'd had a particularly pickled Christmas and I remember I stayed off the booze for 3 weeks (for clarity that doesn't mean I'm lying face down the days I'm on it - then or now (!) but I was on, for me , a serious fitness thing).

My disbelieving mate said after the game "are you sure" you're not drinking?"

"If we played like that every week I wouldn't need to" was my sober reply.

And watching the crowd - we forget how much the old place rocked. I'm sure SJP will be up for tomorrow but I'd so love some sci fi timeslip where the mackems ran out to THAT St James' Park............Darren Bent running back down the tunnel, Lee Cattermole finding out he's not a hardman after all and Steve Bruce stumbling around saying "where is this place?"

• 3 years later...

Figured this was a good spot for this.

Mark McGhee and his fond memories of time on Tyneside

They say in football that you should never “go back”.

And without doubt – like going back to an old flame – it’s never the same the second time around.

Not in Mark McGhee’s case though.

The hard-working Glaswegian striker arrived on Tyneside in 1977 as a youngster, but the move didn’t work out the way he might have hoped.

After just 28 league appearances and five goals he returned to Scotland and was part of an outstanding Aberdeen side, winning title medals and European gongs under Alex Ferguson.

Stints at Hamburg and Celtic followed before a return to Newcastle in 1989 after the club had been relegated back to Division Two followed.

Mick Quinn and McGhee instantly struck up a wonderful partnership and the club came agonisingly close to promotion to the top flight, losing narrowly against Sunderland – with the Scot hitting the post in the play-offs .

McGhee might not have achieved the dream for Jim Smith’s United, but he was a hit on the terraces.

He dramatically weaved his way round the Bradford City defence in the last minute of a game to score a goal that Lionel Messi or Diego Maradona would have been chuffed with.

McGhee said: “Out of all the clubs I played for in my career, I regard Newcastle as the dearest to me and hold them close to my heart.

Mick Quinn and I had something we were proud to be part of.”

Quinn said: “I got to know Mark very well.

“It’s always about bonding with players.

“You have to gel. I moved to Newcastle about three or four weeks beforehand.

“Mark was staying at the hotel like me, and he’d been here before of course, at the same hotel funnily enough. He knew the area and knew Newcastle.

“For me that was a big help in the early days of my career. We got on well on and off the pitch.”

But Quinn admits that he and McGhee were different players on the field.

Quinn was a poacher who once admitted he’d “knock his granny over to score”.

Speaking on McGhee he said: “Mark was unorthodox.

“You couldn’t say we were like Toshack and Keegan.

“We didn’t blend – Mark had a free role.

“He’d get the ball and drift left or right and drop deep.

“He’d turn defenders and drag them out of position.

“He would hold the ball up well for me to get into the box and score goals. He gave me the licence to get into the box.

“Mark did a lot of hard work, but to be fair he got his own fair share of goals to boot.

“We actually got 57 between the two of us.”

But for all the success that year for McGhee and Quinn, the partnership didn’t manage deliever the ultimate prize.

Quinn won the golden boot with 38 goals. But the pair looked back in agony, he said: “We still never got promoted!

“We were gutted. We worked so hard and could have gone up.

“Just to kick us where it hurts even more Sunderland ended up getting promoted despite losing the play-off final to Swindon.

“Swindon had financial issues and went down so Sunderland got their place.

“For me and Mark we’d had a hell of a season together and got on together on and off the field. We ended up living in the same street.

“The next season Jim Smith tried to get it going again with promotion but it didn’t come off and he lost his job. Ossie Ardiles came in and began playing younger players but I stayed on and Mark left.”

For Newcastle fans it was the end of a great relationship in attack for the Gallowgate faithful.