Religion

Christmas Tree

Does anyone know the probability that the moon would be the exact size and distance from the earth and the sun to create a perfect eclipse and give us the solar corona? The chances of that must be very small and the chances of there being conscious being to experience, appreciate, and develop awe and wonder at the universe (when seen centuries ago), must be quite small.

Aye, you know that bit in religionity where God knows all? Probably covers that tbh.

Keyboard player out of D:Ream could probably fill in a few of the gaps as well :unsure:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the probability that the moon would be the exact size and distance from the earth and the sun to create a perfect eclipse and give us the solar corona? The chances of that must be very small and the chances of there being conscious being to experience, appreciate, and develop awe and wonder at the universe (when seen centuries ago), must be quite small.

It is amazing like and it's only for a relatively short period of time too I think (in Cosmic terms) because the Moon's gradually moving away from the Earth. It's also worth mentioning that the Moon has been important to the development of life on Earth because, due to its size and proximity to Earth, (I think anyway) it's allowed the Earth maintain a very steady orbit around the Sun thus not subjecting the planet to extremes in temperature. Also, I think I read / heard a theory that the Earth and Moon were formed after the collision of two other planetary bodies.

There's a funny 'movie pitch' in the prologue to Iain Banks latest book about Alien tourists coming to witness it. "You want to know how to find an Alien? Look for inappropriately-dressed people at the back of the crowd watching an eclipse"

It is amazing like and it's only for a relatively short period of time too I think (in Cosmic terms) because the Moon's gradually moving away from the Earth. It's also worth mentioning that the Moon has been important to the development of life on Earth because, due to its size and proximity to Earth, (I think anyway) it's allowed the Earth maintain a very steady orbit around the Sun thus not subjecting the planet to extremes in temperature. Also, I think I read / heard a theory that the Earth and Moon were formed after the collision of two other planetary bodies.

Isn't it possible that we're finding these coincidences and attributing more value to them, simply because we like for there to be reason and order to the nature of things?

It's like the people who try to "decode" the Bible and find that if you take every 173rd letter, the sentence reads "People who stand to wipe are basically inviting carnage"?

Isn't it possible that we're finding these coincidences and attributing more value to them, simply because we like for there to be reason and order to the nature of things?

It's like the people who try to "decode" the Bible and find that if you take every 173rd letter, the sentence reads "People who stand to wipe are basically inviting carnage"?

That theory has been poo-pooed.

There's a funny 'movie pitch' in the prologue to Iain Banks latest book about Alien tourists coming to witness it. "You want to know how to find an Alien? Look for inappropriately-dressed people at the back of the crowd watching an eclipse"

that's triggered a memory of a Time-Travelling story where people were allowed to go and watch Christ's crucifixion, on the understanding that they clamoured for the release of the other prisoner. One of these travellers looks around at the pertinent moment and realises that everyone on the hill is a time traveller.

no idea if it's from a book or a film though...

All I'm saying is that it's amazing. Hard to argue with that. I'm not really of the opinion there is any great cosmic truth to the Universe or whatever or that this is proof of it. You'll always get people who'll think x,y or z is down to God or whatever though. It has made me think I should try and see a total eclipse before I kick the bucket however. Bound to be cloudy if I do make the effort like.

Edited by alex

All I'm saying is that it's amazing. Hard to argue with that. I'm not really of the opinion there is any great cosmic truth to the Universe or whatever or that this is proof of it. You'll always get people who'll think x,y or z is down to God or whatever though. It has made me think I should try and see a total eclipse before I kick the bucket however. Bound to be cloudy if I do make the effort like.

*inserts obvious comment about smoking things that shouldn't be smoked etc.*

Would you want to see it from the ground up or would viewing it from a plane be equally impressive, just thinking there must be an excursion agency who'd have a whole day for that kind of thing?

*Inserts obvious question about euphemisms*

*Inserts obvious question about euphemisms*

*inserts himself into Kevin*

Must all threads end this way? :unsure:

A Mars sized body hit the Earth and the resulting fragmentation reformed the Earth and formed the Moon, so goes the theory. Its present distance from us is a large coincidence - the moon is moving away from the Earth about 2cm per year iirc. They know this because of the mirrors Apollo left on the moon btw. :unsure: In a few million years the moon will be too small to effect a proper lunar eclipse.

Most other 'coincidences' in the Universe can be atrributed to the anthropic principle of course.

A Mars sized body hit the Earth and the resulting fragmentation reformed the Earth and formed the Moon, so goes the theory. Its present distance from us is a large coincidence - the moon is moving away from the Earth about 2cm per year iirc. They know this because of the mirrors Apollo left on the moon btw. :unsure: In a few million years the moon will be too small to effect a proper lunar eclipse.

Most other 'coincidences' in the Universe can be atrributed to the anthropic principle of course.

Old hat man, keep up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

I knew that actually as it's the only remaining working part of the Apollo program.

Stephen Hawking and Einstein didn't believe in God and they were geet clever. That's good enough for me.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

This is the quote I was looking for the other day btw

But Einstein was not really religious. He remarked that "the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously". When asked if he believed in God, Einstein explained: "I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

I can completely respect that, but I don't think its a typical religious position - it almost reminds me of the position of a 'secular jew' which seems to be common in your home town.

There a lot of secular Jews in Walker nowadays? :unsure:

Being a little facetious - I know exactly what you mean.

I can completely respect that, but I don't think its a typical religious position - it almost reminds me of the position of a 'secular jew' which seems to be common in your home town.

There a lot of secular Jews in Walker nowadays? :unsure:

Being a little facetious - I know exactly what you mean.

Bensham?

Managed to offend atheists worldwide by comparing them to Nazi's today. Rather ironic :unsure:

Somebody should ask him:

When did the Catholic church excommunicate Adolf Hitler?

For how many centuries and how recently did the Catholic church withdraw the "warrant" against all Jews for Deicide?

If he really wants to try the old Hitler was an Atheist bullshit it proves he's not the intelligent man his fans claim.

Managed to offend atheists worldwide by comparing them to Nazi's today. Rather ironic :unsure:

Somebody should ask him:

For how many centuries and how recently did the Catholic church withdraw the "warrant" against all Jews for Deicide?

If he really wants to try the old Hitler was an Atheist bullshit it proves he's not the intelligent man his fans claim.

I'm still wondering if you're a big Marx / Feuerbach fan or not

Somebody should ask him:

The area that the modern day nation of Germany occupies was called the Holy Roman Empire for a millienium up until about 1800....go figure folks... :huh: