Real 'will allow Owen to leave'

Hughesie

Real Madrid are ready to open the door for England striker Michael Owen to return to the Premiership.

Manchester United are set to head the race with an £11m bid for Owen, according to reports.

Owen has been pushed down the pecking order at the Spanish giants following the arrival of Brazilians Robinho and Julio Baptista.

Owen's former club Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle have also been linked with the 25-year-old forward.

A senior source at Real told the Sunday Times they would not stand in Owen's way if they received a bid for him.

The source said: "Michael is popular with the fans and he is popular within the club.

"But if he comes to us and says he believes the best thing for him is to leave, we will have to respect that.

"He has been a great servant to us, we will treat him with the utmost decency and respect.

"And in the event that he decides to go, while obviously looking out for our own interests, we will be sure to look out for his too."

Despite scoring 16 goals in his first season at Real following his move from Liverpool, Owen spent many games on the bench.

And with the World Cup less than a year away, he could decide to move on rather than face the prospect of fighting for a place with Raul, Ronaldo, Robinho and Baptista.

A transfer to Manchester United would bring Owen together with his England strike partner Wayne Rooney, although it would prove unpopular with Liverpool fans.

Ferguson might have to sell players to finance the move, with midfielders Phil Neville and Kleberson possible candidates along with striker Louis Saha.

Arsenal could also be tempted to move for him, having seen Baptista taken from under their noses by Real after coming close to sealing a £14m move.

The £7m arrival of Peter Crouch at Liverpool makes it unlikely manager Rafael Benitez would consider taking Owen back to Merseyside.

Newcastle are in the market for a striker, but they cannot offer Owen Champions League football.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can't see Man Utd getting Owen as that would mean he'd probably have to sell the horse as neither him or Owen will want to warm the bench as Rooney along with Robinho are the two best young players in the world

They only way he'll come to us is if the big 4 don't want him. And I think Arsenal will.

5214[/snapback]

I'm not so sure. Apparently Wenger wants a taller man with technique like Adebayor. I think we have a chance to get him.

Guest StevieH84

Think Owen would be a big hit at sjp,and hope he considers newcastle

if the rumours are true ,that we are after him...

If Owen went to either Arsenal or ManUre, he would just be another player, if he came to Newcastle he'd be a legend.

The only chance in hell we have of signing Owen is if Manu/arse/Pool r any foreign CL team don't want him and he decides to go a season away from the CL and without winnign anything.

5420[/snapback]

be more than a season if he joins us

The only chance in hell we have of signing Owen is if Manu/arse/Pool r any foreign CL team don't want him and he decides to go a season away from the CL and without winnign anything.

5420[/snapback]

be more than a season if he joins us

5421[/snapback]

Very true! Suppose i just meant one guarenteed season without winning until Souness is dumped out on his arse, then after that we can get back to the normal NUFC having very little chance of winning anything because we're cursed!

If we sign Michael Owen I'll read all the Harry Potter books in a weekend.

5427[/snapback]

If my cat could talk, it would be a parrot.

5431[/snapback]

Can it already fly? :D

5434[/snapback]

Well, not as long as I am on crutches.

Edited by Isegrim

Does that mean the end for Van Nistelrooy then?

Surely you can't keep Rooney, Owen and RVN happy?

5459[/snapback]

Tis a good question....

Unless they play 3 up front I guess - be an awesome frontline that mind...

5459[/snapback]

Tis a good question....

5477[/snapback]

and what about Saha?

5459[/snapback]

Tis a good question....

5477[/snapback]

and what about Saha?

5491[/snapback]

:D <---- I think that says it all!

5459[/snapback]

Tis a good question....

5477[/snapback]

I can see Rooney fitting into an advanced midfield role similar to how Gascoigne used to play. Same sort of phisique too. That would allow Owen to partner the horse up-front. Saha should start looking for another club. Agree with Craig, its a shame if Smithy is converted to a midfielder, would like to see him up front for us.