NUST meltdown

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Just received this:

Thank you for your loyalty and support during the past membership year, it is greatly appreciated. Your membership has enabled us to accomplish so much in our first year as a Supporters Trust.

Following elections in March we have the first Trust Board in place, which includes co-opted Newcastle Central MP Chi Onwurah, to drive the Trust forward.

The NUST is committed to developing links with the community and we intend to continue this process by developing awareness, and building membership, by arranging events and meetings to strengthen the influence of the Trust. We want to build on the successes we have already achieved which include:

• NUST has already helped to raise considerable amounts for local charities, including over £7,500 for the ‘Sir Bobby Robson Foundation’.

• The ongoing formation of a ‘Junior Trust’ which through coaching and other various events will help to connect young people in the north east with their football club and hopefully assist in guaranteeing the future support of Newcastle United.

• The Trust’s ‘Local Achievers’ initiative has already rewarded numerous people in the local community by providing them with tickets for a wide range of ‘good citizen’ activities. This scheme will continue and help many fans, including many from disadvantaged parts of society, to see their team at St James’ Park.

The Board of the NUST firmly believes that the only way for NUFC to have a long term stable financial future, and success on the pitch, is for the fans organised with the help of the Trust, to try to arrange the finance to place the club permanently in an ownership model which involves fans as essential stakeholders. The NUST Board is currently considering a number of ideas that we believe will help to achieve this aim.

Your support is absolutely vital to the NUST and underpins all we try to do and is greatly appreciated. We’re proud of what we have been able to achieve in our first year and we could not have done it without you. Only by increasing membership and influence can the Trust hope to move forward, with your help we can all look forward to a bright future.

Upon renewing you will be issued with your newly produced original NUST £1 share certificate.

Please renew your membership today and show your support for the future of the NUST.

I have mixed feelings about this. I feel NUST has taken a direction I can't fully get behind since the 'Yes we can' push. I'm probably not going to renew.

Anyone else had theirs?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to renew - not because I believe we can buy the club or anything but I appreciate the community aspect and it's always something to fall back on if need be.

Plus the card looks cool in my wallet.

Well this is a strange one, for two years Ive banged the NUST drum and shouted that it needs to be backed and thats something I still passionately believe in however at the same time I think the inevitable huge drop in membership thats being predicted by the sensible side of the board will hopefully be the wake up call thats needed for one or two of the others.

So yes, I'll be renewing but I have to admit that its currently on the principle of "if you dont register then you cant vote".

I'll renew. Nothing to do with the "yes we can" thing, but that I think the club should have a supporters club (trust) and that still in its infancy, needs time to develop.

I'll renew. Nothing to do with the "yes we can" thing, but that I think the club should have a supporters club (trust) and that still in its infancy, needs time to develop.

This and what Peasepud said. I still find some of what they say/do a little cringe worthy and ill thought out; but at the same time I can't help but feel that it takes time for something like this to find its feet. Giving up after a year is a bit premature; fickle even.

Tell you what though, the email they sent round had no indication of renewal cost. Nor did the landing page the email took you too. I had to begin the renewal process before I was able to see how much it would cost - poor from the Web Dev guys.

Edit: Also, as an OOT I can't get involved with the club in the same way you 'lercals' can ;) The NUST kind of gives us OOTs an element of distant involvement - if that makes sense.

Tell you what though, the email they sent round had no indication of renewal cost. Nor did the landing page the email took you too. I had to begin the renewal process before I was able to see how much it would cost - poor from the Web Dev guys.

I too thought it was poor that the email didn't tell me the cost or when the renewal deadline was.

I'm presuming its still a tenner?

I'm not a member but don't see where helping the disadvantaged comes into the equation (not that I don't think its an admirable thing to do of course) I just wonder why they've gone down that route? Is that what the NUST set out to do?

I don't really know what the aims are any more which is why I'm not sure about renewing. Perhaps they need to tell us exactly what they are. I know a tenner isn't much in the grand scheme of things but I still want to know where it's going before handing it over.

If I renew will I get a new keyring that says NUST rather than NUSC? I suppose the logo doesn't work quite so well with a T

If you send me a tenner I'll make one for you.

If I renew will I get a new keyring that says NUST rather than NUSC? I suppose the logo doesn't work quite so well with a T

Are you just going to put a black marker line down the middle of the C?

Hadn't thought of that. Cheers for the tip though.

Hadn't thought of that. Cheers for the tip though.

Okay, cash or cheque?

I'm not a member but don't see where helping the disadvantaged comes into the equation (not that I don't think its an admirable thing to do of course) I just wonder why they've gone down that route? Is that what the NUST set out to do?

I don't really know what the aims are any more which is why I'm not sure about renewing. Perhaps they need to tell us exactly what they are. I know a tenner isn't much in the grand scheme of things but I still want to know where it's going before handing it over.

tbh I think people need to be telling them stuff like this because at the moment theres a blinkered view from a section of the board (unfortunately, the section that has the power) who think that everything they do is fantastic and the members love it all. These people have predicted they'll get nigh on full renewals and additional new members of around 300 this year, something which personally I think is absoulte shite.

I would strongly urge any member who isnt sure about renewing to let them know their concerns otherwise its just going to continue going downhill which would be a shame. Theres a forum on the site, get on there and post the reasons, use the new "Ask the Board" facility or simply make it clear on places such as this which will get fedback.

I get the feeling the people who started to make it work at the beginning were possibly eased out by people with better backing when the voting for the board came in.

One or two of us were yes but thats not the problem, it was a fair election and (in my case anyway) my manifesto didnt fit with the way the members wanted, it appears that YWC seduced many members, thats fair enough. Many of the original people are still there, trouble is there now appears to be a bit of a power struggle. Three members of the board basically built themselves an empire which was then added to with the new people who were elected. A couple of the real hard working ones who built it up are now being bullied out in any kind of debate so its now a case of "what the chairman says goes". *

The fact that no AGM appears to be on the cards is wrong as far as Im concerned.

*Allegedly.