NUST meltdown

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

I am/was a huge advocate of NUST but I'm not renewing. I no longer understand what it's about, at the start it had its doubters but it was there, it was making a bit of noise and it was giving something to the fans either in the way of roadshows, keyrings or just a voice. The issues that it had, such as lack of communication between members, have got worse rather than better. For example that email claiming that Ashley was taking £7 million out of the club was baffling and clearly the work of a handful of badly misinformed people. The response I received when I asked about it hardly inspired confidence either.

The Yes We Can campaign was the beginning of the end. Launched to great fanfare and then not a sausage. Regardless of how plausible it was they should've really banged the drum and kept pushing the idea of fan representation at the club but it just whithered and died.

I still believe in a supporters' club but I'm not sure those running NUST do.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am/was a huge advocate of NUST but I'm not renewing. I no longer understand what it's about, at the start it had its doubters but it was there, it was making a bit of noise and it was giving something to the fans either in the way of roadshows, keyrings or just a voice. The issues that it had, such as lack of communication between members, have got worse rather than better. For example that email claiming that Ashley was taking £7 million out of the club was baffling and clearly the work of a handful of badly misinformed people. The response I received when I asked about it hardly inspired confidence either.

The Yes We Can campaign was the beginning of the end. Launched to great fanfare and then not a sausage. Regardless of how plausible it was they should've really banged the drum and kept pushing the idea of fan representation at the club but it just whithered and died.

I still believe in a supporters' club but I'm not sure those running NUST do.

If only they'd listened :lol:

CLUB BAR:- The A.F.S.C. - LONDON bar facilities are available to its members on match days, but please remember that you must have your membership card with you to gain entry. Subject to how busy the bar is, members can also sign in up to two guests for an admission fee of £2 per guest. Members of affiliated A.F.S.C. branches can also gain entry to the bar for an admission fee of £1, but must also have their relevant membership card with them. The bar prices are subsidised, and you will not find cheaper prices in the area on match day. WATCH SKY T.V. :- The A.F.S.C. -

150px_2010_2011_membership_front_cover.jpg

What is everyones latest on this? Are those of you who were wavering now signed up or are you still holding off?

In the end I didn't renew either. My thoughts (as I stated earlier) were that they deserved another year but I changed my mind. I don't get what they do, where it's headed or what the point is. I had a look round the site etc and that didn't sway me either. So they've got a councillor on board - to serve what purpose? The charity stuff is nice, but wheres the substance to the trust? I'm not even sure I want a trust the more I think about it. A supporters club with a few benefits and away days etc would be nice.

I decided to keep my tenner but if their direction changes (I can't tell you what the current direction even is) I could be tempted back.

This is on the NUST forum:

amuckle wrote:

"Feels like a "fan club" now, to be brutally honest i'd forgotten to renew until now (which is sad seeing as i was quick to sign up), and sort of sums up the way things have headed.

I signed up before we became the trust, hoping to get some say in the club etc like i'd assume 90% of the members, and as admirable as all the little competitions and charity news pieces are... it's not exactly the things I (and i'm sure a vast majority of other members) were worried about being covered.

Basically we've signed up, got a key ring some stickers a membership card and a newsletter once a month that has as much about other clubs as it does our own in it.

Least the last time i signed up to something similar i got the same sort of things above but some free sweets and all (The Beano)

(Response) The difference here being that if you are unhappy with the direction of the trust over the course of the year then you have the opportunity to change it by voting in somebody that more closely represents your views and desires next time around.

For that reason I'm glad that despite your current misgivings about the way the Trust is being run by the current board you chose, as I did, to renew and have your continued say in its future. There's a worrying misrepresentation that the Trust will live or die based on who is in the seat of power but that's a falicy to be honest. The Trust will live or die based on the desire of Newcastle United Supporters to have a Trust. It can be whatever we want it to be really but for that to happen takes people to step forward and be actively involved.

People choosing not to renew because they unhappy with the way things are going illustrates a basic failure to understand exactly what a trust is and a failure to understand the principles of a democracy.

If, as a group of fans, we can't be bothered to pay a fiver a year to have a recognised supporters body then, frankly, its no wonder we are in the plight we are in and are trampled on time and again by owners.

Incidently I used the "Ask The Trust" section of the website to follow up Tom's question about the AGM and have been informed it is going to be held in January. This is within the timeframe of one year from the election of the recently appointed board so despite false allegations to the contrary no constitutional rules are being broken here. the Trust will hold an AGM and we'll all, I'm sure be able to attend and have our say...except those of us who have failed to renew that is... "

Edited by timnufc

People choosing not to renew because they unhappy with the way things are going illustrates a basic failure to understand exactly what a trust is and a failure to understand the principles of a democracy.

If, as a group of fans, we can't be bothered to pay a fiver a year to have a recognised supporters body then, frankly, its no wonder we are in the plight we are in and are trampled on time and again by owners.

That says everything to me about the vew of certain board members. The attitude that people arent renewing because theyre not bright enough to understand democracy.

I went to a meeting and liked what I heard and joined. Especially at the time it seemed more important, but fan representation is always a good thing whoever runs the boardroom.

I've only given a cursory glance to most of the mails I've received from them in the past 12 months though. I think I'd be like most of the membership in that I'm not going to spend much time or effort on it myself and being brutally honest I'm not really fussed on the charity side of things or the community efforts but I'm happy to join and give (small) financial support to the endeavour as long as it progresses towards the ultimate goal of some sort of representation.

I thought the idea of buying the club was bogus and believe they can only exist as a pressure group and endeavour to work with who is in charge (even odious fucker). Reading the newsletter though it seems the goal is still a buyout...which is mental if you ask me.

Might renew if I see a change in approach on that score*, as it is I can't see anything in the newsletter or on the site about engaging the club whatsoever.

This, for example....

http://www.nust.org.uk/newcastle-v-sunderl...rities-1-fans-0

Fans have approached the NUST about this issue, so the NUST have put it on their website for other disgruntled fans to read. At what point do the club hear about the problem? Why would I pay towards a website where fans can gripe amongst themselves? I get that for free here.

All a bit like the Judean Peoples Front at the moment isn't it?

*EDIT - if that's me misunderstanding democracy, fair enough. Seems to me 100% of the members want representation....maybe 50% think they can buy the club....but the minority desire is being catered to.

Edited by Happy Face

I went to a meeting and liked what I heard and joined. Especially at the time it seemed more important, but fan representation is always a good thing whoever runs the boardroom.

I've only given a cursory glance to most of the mails I've received from them in the past 12 months though. I think I'd be like most of the membership in that I'm not going to spend much time or effort on it myself and being brutally honest I'm not really fussed on the charity side of things or the community efforts but I'm happy to join and give (small) financial support to the endeavour as long as it progresses towards the ultimate goal of some sort of representation.

I thought the idea of buying the club was bogus and believe they can only exist as a pressure group and endeavour to work with who is in charge (even odious fucker). Reading the newsletter though it seems the goal is still a buyout...which is mental if you ask me.

Might renew if I see a change in approach on that score*, as it is I can't see anything in the newsletter or on the site about engaging the club whatsoever.

This, for example....

Fans have approached the NUST about this issue, so the NUST have put it on their website for other disgruntled fans to read. At what point do the club hear about the problem? Why would I pay towards a website where fans can gripe amongst themselves? I get that for free here.

*EDIT - if that's me misunderstanding democracy, fair enough. Seems to me 100% of the members want representation....maybe 50% think they can buy the club....but the minority desire is being catered to.

Screw that, we're with the People's Front of Judea.

Unlike HF, I lived in hope that there was some possibility that the NUSC/NUST could actually garner enough support to buy the club, to the point I made enquiries if I could transfer my Australian pension fund equivalent into the scheme.

But the complete lack of any info since the initial launch has not only lead me to not renew my membership but also fucking thankful that I didn't invest my 30k.

If the fuckers can't be bothered to keep members informed when they are trying to secure your funds, imagine the silence once the cunts actually have you hard earned and they don't need to solicit your money?

This, for example....

Screw that, we're with the People's Front of Judea.

Unlike HF, I lived in hope that there was some possibility that the NUSC/NUST .....

Funny you should say that....just gabbing on about it and getting nowhere isn't the only similarity with the PFJ, I think the major work of their first year wast to settle on NUST :lol:

This turned up on my email this morning, seriously we've gone from "We're ganna buy the club" to hopefully someday btw good luck to Liverpool - ffs.

A little bit more correspondence about what happened, is happening would be reassuring.

Newcastle Fans Back Liverpool Supporters In The Battle For A Stake In Their Club

Nobody can have missed the incredible situation that has unfolded at Liverpool, for once all Newcastle fans were grateful that the pantomime season had at least temporarily moved away from its perpetual base on Tyneside. On a serious note though there is a clear problem with the model of football club ownership in England and just because on this occasion it is happening at another club, we all know it could just as easily be ourselves next. The reaction of Liverpool fans has generally been twofold; relief that Hicks and Gillett were on their way out but justifiable worries that they were once again heading into the unknown. Totally reliant on how one man sees the future of their football club and fans powerless to do anything if it turns out the new owner takes them down a route that isn’t in the best interests of the football club.

The Spirit of Shankly-ShareLiverpoolFC group who have been actively campaigning for fan ownership at their club are now urging the new owner to look at the inclusion of fans within the club, with fans buying a stake to enable shared ownership. The Arsenal Supporters Trust have already launched their initiative with the active backing of their club, with Arsenal fans now able to buy £100 units to part own shares in Arsenal Football Club. If the new owner at Liverpool can have the foresight to see how allowing the fans to have shared ownership of the club is a positive step for all parties, then this would be a massive step forward in sorting out the mess that English football has allowed to happen.

The Newcastle United Supporters Trust wish the Spirit of Shankly-ShareLiverpoolFC group every success, this is the way forward for all football clubs and we are working towards it one day being our turn.

btw NUST, personally I hope Liverpool and its' supporter groups fall flat on their face and their shite club disappears into the depths of despair.

Edited by sammynb

That says everything to me about the vew of certain board members. The attitude that people arent renewing because theyre not bright enough to understand democracy.

For a start its not a fiver for everyone and aside from that it's like they just expect us to had it over. In fact it's like we're at fault for not doing it!

I didn't vote for what we have. So, if I can't have what I wanted, then I can choose not to pay my money. Are they saying that regardless of that fact, I should continue to fund the people pushing the NUST in a direction I dont want to go in?

Yeah I got that email too. What a load of shit.

As did I and yes it is. It's getting to the point where I wish they'd just fuck off actually. Their comms are as cringworthy and ill-conceived as the clubs tbh.

Pud, not that you will probably get the opportunity but if you do it would be good if you could point one of them in the direction of this thread.

We might only be a small section of the toon support but I would have guessed that all of us bar the taxi driver would have joined initially and yet come renewal time there isn't a lot of faith in the direction of the Judean People's Front.

That email is fantastic, although CT will be seething there's no mention of Arsenal's fan owned bar.

:)

Can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink and all that...

Just shows how ahead of the curve I was with all this. :icon_lol:

Once it became apparrent that opposition was not going to change anything they should have taken my advice and built on the good will and member base and delivered a really good supporters club. (something that tbf is scandalous a club like ours does not have).

Instead, madness descended, ego battles commenced and I dare say without any change in direction, NUST will vanish without a trace very soon.

Its probably a shame that they did not hold the elections, prior to membership renewal, as this would have allowed members to stand who offered something different. Now its probably on mates and apathetics who are left and as such there will be no change.

Shame when all is said and done.

That email is fantastic, although CT will be seething there's no mention of Arsenal's fan owned bar.

Once it became apparrent that opposition was not going to change anything they should have taken my advice and built on the good will and member base and delivered a really good supporters club. (something that tbf is scandalous a club like ours does not have).

Instead, madness descended, ego battles commenced and I dare say without any change in direction, NUST will vanish without a trace very soon.

Its probably a shame that they did not hold the elections, prior to membership renewal, as this would have allowed members to stand who offered something different. Now its probably on mates and apathetics who are left and as such there will be no change.

I have to say I totally agree with you.

Me too. The idea of a decent supporters club is a good one, but egos seem to have ran away with it now. It goes without saying that I didn't renew.

Me too. The idea of a decent supporters club is a good one, but egos seem to have ran away with it now. It goes without saying that I didn't renew.

But if people renew and put forward their thoughts the council, and also vote them out, then surley you act upon how you feel?