NUST meltdown

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

I still think charging people to join is/was a poor idea. You get strength in numbers and while £10 isn't a lot I imagine it put a lot of people off signing up.

One of the requirements to being a trust I'd guess.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think charging people to join is/was a poor idea. You get strength in numbers and while £10 isn't a lot I imagine it put a lot of people off signing up.

One of the requirements to being a trust I'd guess.

It became a trust after people had joined initially iirc. Perhaps a £10 was a bit much anyway. I know it's not a lot in the grand scheme of things but it's enough to put people off.

From the sounds of things, the plan was always to become a trust, they just had to get the numbers together first.

The change to a trust looks to have been the worst thing they've done, they haven't stopped banging on about fan ownership ever since.

Nah, the Trust plan came after we were setup and its not a requirement of the rules that any membership is paid. There are Trusts that are free membership.

It was an awkward issue at the time, coming up with the amount. It needed to be cheap enough to not put too many off yet at the same time not too cheap that it devalues the democracy (if it was free then anyone could join up and influence votes) and had to cover costs etc.

Someone's made a fair bit of cash by taking advantage of people's frustration tbh

Say, hypothetically, 2,000 people signed up at £10 a pop, that's £20K straight away and other than providing a few pamphlets and holding a few meetings what have they done?

Someone's made a fair bit of cash by taking advantage of people's frustration tbh

Say, hypothetically, 2,000 people signed up at £10 a pop, that's £20K straight away and other than providing a few pamphlets and holding a few meetings what have they done?

The overheads for holding meeting amount to nowt like, do they? :)

Haven't they had 'guest speakers' involved too?

Not saying it accounts for all £20K but it's certainly a sizeable chunk.

I don't come at it from quite as cynical a pov as that but the last four words from you are exactly my thoughts on the organisation as a whole.

I'd be surprised if venues charged much seeing as it was mid-week and they'd be making a fair whack off the bar. If they've spunked it ll on getting guest speakers they should be ashamed of themselves.

I don't come at it from quite as cynical a pov as that but the last four words from you are exactly my thoughts on the organisation as a whole.

similar view tbh, after all of the hype at the beginning, change in direction and status etc. Not renewed and no intention of wasting a tenner on this.

I'd be surprised if venues charged much seeing as it was mid-week and they'd be making a fair whack off the bar. If they've spunked it ll on getting guest speakers they should be ashamed of themselves.

Doubt that spanky new Bridge logo will have been free either.

I whole heartedly agree. But there was a headline speaker at each meeting and I shouldn't expect they've come free.

Does a trust such as this have an obligation to publicise its accounts to its trustees?

As far as Im aware all venues were free of charge, they were happy to host them and take the extra income from the bar. I also dont think the speakers charged, John Anderson (check his Wikipedia Tom) and Gibson were free other than a drink or two as both are friends of the organisation.

The use of hypothetical figures however cant be used as a yardstick. Theres no way that we have 2000 members and whatever the figure was it shouldnt be multiplied by a tenner. Kids, unemployed and retirement age got membership for £5. I'd estimate that it was about a third which fitted that category so we're maybe looking at an average figure of say £8 per member.

I think we're looking at about 1400 members at an average of £8 each giving around £11k income. Spread that over a two year period and then remove the cost of the initial packs (membership card, keyring, sticker, postage) and you drop below the £10k income mark.

Then we had the purchase of tickets for the worthy causes, charitable topups and whatever costs were incurred in YWC and its easy to see how £10k could be used in two years.

On top of all that though, theres an assumption that its all been spent, Ive not seen anything announced to say the coffers are bare.

All will be revealed however when the annual accounts are published which has to happen by the AGM.

It's a shame it all started with high hopes and seems to have ended up nowhere. From a long distance looking on it seems to be a very insular organisation and I wonder whether it has much of a future therefore.

It's a shame it all started with high hopes and seems to have ended up nowhere. From a long distance looking on it seems to be a very insular organisation and I wonder whether it has much of a future therefore.

I think NUSC (not NUST) has an important role to play overall and could work well if it got back to basics and became a properly ran supporters club, first thing needed though is to remove the ego's and then sit down and listen to what the membership says it wants from the organisation.

That email is fantastic, although CT will be seething there's no mention of Arsenal's fan owned bar.

:razz:

Can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink and all that...

Just shows how ahead of the curve I was with all this. :o

Once it became apparrent that opposition was not going to change anything they should have taken my advice and built on the good will and member base and delivered a really good supporters club. (something that tbf is scandalous a club like ours does not have).

Instead, madness descended, ego battles commenced and I dare say without any change in direction, NUST will vanish without a trace very soon.

Its probably a shame that they did not hold the elections, prior to membership renewal, as this would have allowed members to stand who offered something different. Now its probably on mates and apathetics who are left and as such there will be no change.

Shame when all is said and done.

I have to say I totally agree with you.

Me too. The idea of a decent supporters club is a good one, but egos seem to have ran away with it now. It goes without saying that I didn't renew.

But if people renew and put forward their thoughts the council, and also vote them out, then surley you act upon how you feel?

I didn't join a supporters trust though mate, I joined a supporters club. What (I think) they are now offering doesn't appeal to me regardless of who is playing Napoleon.

I think NUSC (not NUST) has an important role to play overall and could work well if it got back to basics and became a properly ran supporters club, first thing needed though is to remove the ego's and then sit down and listen to what the membership says it wants from the organisation.

Isn't the club and the trust one and the same in most people's minds?

That email is fantastic, although CT will be seething there's no mention of Arsenal's fan owned bar.

:o

Just shows how ahead of the curve I was with all this. :icon_lol:

Once it became apparrent that opposition was not going to change anything they should have taken my advice and built on the good will and member base and delivered a really good supporters club. (something that tbf is scandalous a club like ours does not have).

Instead, madness descended, ego battles commenced and I dare say without any change in direction, NUST will vanish without a trace very soon.

Its probably a shame that they did not hold the elections, prior to membership renewal, as this would have allowed members to stand who offered something different. Now its probably on mates and apathetics who are left and as such there will be no change.

Aye, for once, me too :woosh:

If you ran for chairman CT ,I reckon you'd be the best in my lifetime :razz:

:woosh:

Aye, for once, me too :icon_lol:

If you ran for chairman CT ,I reckon you'd be the best in my lifetime :o

:razz:

I would. And you'd be guaranteed a canny pre match pint at reasonable rates with topless bar staff in the supporters bar :o

I would. And you'd be guaranteed a canny pre match pint at reasonable rates with topless bar staff in the supporters bar :o

Would it accept Giros?

Would it accept Giros?

Is he greek?

Edited by Christmas Tree