NUST meltdown

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Peasepud - The reason I posted the email response from NUST on this thread is because of the lack of communication and thought it gave a 'good' answer for their plans for the future. Plans which I totally disagree with.

A power struggle within the trust, I'd say, with one or two making the major decisions and generally running the show. Strange given the fact it was supposed to be a collective voice.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peasepud - The reason I posted the email response from NUST on this thread is because of the lack of communication and thought it gave a 'good' answer for their plans for the future. Plans which I totally disagree with.

A power struggle within the trust, I'd say, with one or two making the major decisions and generally running the show. Strange given the fact it was supposed to be a collective voice.

Thats how we planned it at the time but its not what its become. I think your email is indicative of the kind of communications put out these days. Theres one a page or two back which sums up the entire thing where the reply states something along the lines of "those that dont renew dont understand democracy" or something like that.

EDIT: Just found it.

People choosing not to renew because they unhappy with the way things are going illustrates a basic failure to understand exactly what a trust is and a failure to understand the principles of a democracy.

Thats how we planned it at the time but its not what its become. I think your email is indicative of the kind of communications put out these days. Theres one a page or two back which sums up the entire thing where the reply states something along the lines of "those that dont renew dont understand democracy" or something like that.

"those suffering a reduced mandate from low renewal rates dont understand the nature of accountability' would have been my reply.

As I suspected, it's taken an 'all animals are equal but some are more equal than others' turn by the sounds of things.

People choosing not to renew because they unhappy with the way things are going illustrates a basic failure to understand exactly what a trust is and a failure to understand the principles of a democracy.

"A basic failure to understand exactly what a trust is and a failure to understand the principles of a democracy". I dispute that we fail to understand what a democracy is - I just fail to understand how they have changed direction so much and become nice little boys and girls who pray for investment from mystery NE businesses.

In order to attain buy-in and investment the NUST will have to up their publicity campaign and let the membership base know what route they wish to take. At the minute, we basically know fuck all.

You wont get a committee member coming on here because half of them are part of the problem and the other half know that as soon as they speak out they'll be booted off the committee and therefore powerless to do anything at all to influence things.

Its time the membership pushed forcefully for communication and a say in how the Trust is being ran.

I'm guessing that there isn't much of a membership left at this point.

You wont get a committee member coming on here because half of them are part of the problem and the other half know that as soon as they speak out they'll be booted off the committee and therefore powerless to do anything at all to influence things.

Its time the membership pushed forcefully for communication and a say in how the Trust is being ran.

I imagine it's diminishing quickly, ewerk. The only issue being that without renewing you can't have a say in the direction of the trust. I imagine any say I'd give nowadays would be met with hot air being blew up my arse.

I imagine it's diminishing quickly, ewerk. The only issue being that without renewing you can't have a say in the direction of the trust. I imagine any say I'd give nowadays would be met with hot air being blew up my arse.

Same as renewing then, only cheaper.

I felt I had better reply to this and I hope nobody minds me jumping straight into an ongoing thread.

The quote above being erroneously attributed to an NUST communication is in fact a quote lifted from the NUST forum made my myself. I'm not sure why it has been quoted and used on here as an official NUST response. Perhaps its because, like Peter and Tom, I was a part of the original committee of what was the old NUSC and whoever initially copied and pasted it assumed I still have some sort of involvement with the present board of NUST. To clarify, I don't and the opinion was my own.

To explain the context behind my statement I believe that the Trust has the potential to be (within certain sensible guidelines) whatever its members want it to be in terms of a representative voice for Newcastle United supporters. Nobody is allowed to simply come in and do as they want with it. They have a year, like anyone, and if as members we feel that they have wasted their time in charge or taken the wrong attitude or approach then we have the facility to vote them out at the end of that year and replace them with people who better match our aspirations. The board is not the organisation, they are replaceable and will be accountable at the AGM being held in January.

I agree with some of the criticism over the lack of direct communication with members and have voiced it both personally to the committee and via the forum. I am also personally unhappy that more hasn't been done to speak out over the current hot topic of the the advertising littering the stadium roof as well as the general lack of presence the Trust has in the local media compared to the past which I don't personally understand given that part of the Trust's mandate is to speak on behalf of its membership. At the same time I have sympathy with those currently in the seats of 'power'. These are (unlike the MUST for example) unsalaried positions that need to be carried out in people's spare time and also expose those people to often disgusting personal attacks (see a certain local fanzine for details). As I'm sure Peter and Tom will agree with me, its a difficult balancing act to maintain and not always a very pleasant role to maintain. I know eight of the twelve current board members personally from my time working with them under the NUSC banner and would have a hard time believing that they or anyone they had willfully co-opted are acting any other way than genuinelly and with what they percieve to be the best long term interests of the organisation at heart.

For that reason I'm prepared to listen to what they have to say at the AGM before I draw any hard and fast conclusions based only on rumours being spread online. If I don't like what I hear then I can consider that when the election comes. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't put their points to the board now, its just a shame that as the board is mandated to represent its members views, legitimate, tangible points being put across may ultimately be ignored if those putting them across have decided against renewing. I personally wouldn't like to see that happen which is why I feel renewing despite any misgivings we might have is currently the best method of shaping the Trust into what we want it to be.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on so long, just wanted to clarify who said what and why what was said was said. The comments wern't meant to offend anyone who has decided against renewing but were merely born of frustration over people seemingly not looking past the current setup to see the Trust as an ongoing, developing project that won't necessarily find the right blend in its inaugural year.

M

Edited by MichaelNUFC

Michael, good to see you on here mate. I've been quoting that as I read it as an official reply to an email someone sent in rather than a post on a forum which we all know are dodgy to say the least. There's a lot changed since you left these shores mate, I'll be binging you a PM which gives some further background.

Another email, this one badgering me about renewing.

I've just opened the same one. I'm still unsure on what to do. I feel it must be worth renewing given the obvious lack of members. Shy of 4000 I would've thought, and I do want it to work. We wouldn't have attended nusc meetings if not. I'm pleased some questions were answered in the email but there are still lots unanswered.

I guess the only way to try and gain the answers is through renewing and then hoping they engage the members more than in the first 7 months since the commitee were elected.

Here's hoping, like.

I've just opened the same one. I'm still unsure on what to do. I feel it must be worth renewing given the obvious lack of members. Shy of 4000 I would've thought, and I do want it to work. We wouldn't have attended nusc meetings if not. I'm pleased some questions were answered in the email but there are still lots unanswered.

I guess the only way to try and gain the answers is through renewing and then hoping they engage the members more than in the first 7 months since the commitee were elected.

Here's hoping, like.

I think that not renewing would be the strongest messgae you could send.

Here's hoping, like.

I'd be truly suprised if they still have more than 1000

Here's hoping, like.

I'd be truly suprised if they still have more than 1000

I'm more than likely to renew, I think. Then, I'd be able to attend the AGM I believe?, and could find out the craic from the horses mouth. I'm sure there was over 3000 at one point. They clearly need to raise funds to help them attain businesses to buy-in through being out and about showin visibility.

• 2 weeks later...
What a twat Simon Donald is btw.

Is that the Viz bloke? Whats he done like?

Aye. Just the fucking clip of him mainly. And he has far too many tickets on himself. I've met his brother though, (Chris?) and he seemed sound.

• 3 weeks later...

Committee members resigning now.

In September 2008, I was one of the many who came forward to try to do something to help the club we all love. I was privileged to be able to help and we commenced a popular campaign that grew in confidence and ability as it learned by experience. By September 2010, we had spoken to 3 Ministers, many MP's, the city council had approved unanimously a statement backing us, we were respected by the respected media, spoke to businessmen and financiers with credibility about the plan to fund a fans share in the club and, most importantly, had a huge and growing membership with whom we met via meetings, roadshows and other means.

In March 2010 we elected the new Board, the great majority who had been on the old Board,having previously formalised our supporters Trust - approved by the FSA and Supporters Direct.

However, instead of building on these advantages and opportunities, we have ceased to engage with our members properly. This website says that NUST will provide "regular updates to members through meetings, newsletters, emails and website" (See -"ABOUT US - MISSION STATEMENT") Our last members meeting was October 2009, our last Roadshow was March 2010. Clearly we do not do this and this lack of engagement - especially when the new Board has not yet met its members and electors - has concerned me for some time.

I will not release precise information about the discussions we have had at Board level but I can assure you that I (and some few others)have advocated a more inclusive, open and democratic approach with regular members meetings. Members can tell how successful my efforts have been by the absence of such events and, despite promises to the contrary, there is no mention of an opportunity for members to speak to the officers of the Board prior to the Comedy Evening on the 9th December. As this, very small, "concession" now seems to have been abandoned without notice or open discussion, I feel deceived and alienated.

At a recent training event, ran by James Mathie of Supporters Direct, he advocated regular members meetings, publication of Board agenda and minutes and a humble, listening attitude from the Board to our members. I completely agree, but others seem determined to avoid members questions describing some members as "rabble rousers".

I believed in, voted for and spent two years working for an open, democratic, approchable and competent Trust. Now I find that I am not invited to sub-group meetings, not told of Trust activities, am ignorant of the financial position of the Trust and when I "Ask the Trust" about something, my (month old) query is unanswered and unacknowleged.

Consequently, I have no alternative but to resign as a Board member with immediate effect. I am so sorry for my part in the failure of the Trust to communicate properly with its members and our electors. I believe that whatever we have done individually since March our manifest failure to communicate with our members invalidates all progress made. For that reason, in acknowledgement of my own responsibility, I will not put myself forward for election for any NUST post in future.

It's a shame because we have won all of the arguments put to us and we have the backing of the government, media and business. Unfortunately, we have neglected and forgotten our membership who, not surprisingly, have left in droves.

The Boards policy has in my opinion weakened the Trust.

As a result I can no longer remain a member of this Board although I treasure and continue my membership of NUST.

I recommend that, at the forthcoming AGM in January 2011, (which will be 15 months since the last members meeting!), members ensure that they take steps to ensure that proper communication including regular members meetings are made mandatory for all Board members to attend.

If we can do this we can regain the position we had last year and, by working with all in the NUFC family from the club to all fanzines, forums, media, communities, politics and business can complete the task that we set ourselves in 2008. But first, the Board needs to meet its members, financial supporters and electors...that's you lot! The members own this organisation, you have a right to be consulted and considered. Make sure that you hold your Board to account.

All the best,

Bill Corcoran

Edited by peasepud