Emre

Fordy

Emre investigated by FIFA

Wednesday November 30 2005

Email Us Chat Forum

Mail article Print article

Newcastle's midfielder Emre is one of five people who have had individual disciplinary proceedings opened against them by FIFA after the violent scenes at the end of the Turkey v Switzerland World Cup play-off.

FIFA have now completed the first round of their investigations into the violence at the match in Istanbul on November 16 and the world governing body have announced proceedings against three players, the Turkey assistant manager Mehmet Ozdilek, the Swiss physio Stephan Meyer and the Turkish FA.

The players are Turkey's Emre and former Aston Villa defender Alpay (now at FC Cologne) as well as Switzerland's Benjamin Huggel (Eintracht Frankfurt).

The Swiss players were pelted with missiles at the final whistle and Huggel was pictured on television kicking a member of the Turkish coaching staff as he ran off.

Later on, Swiss defender Stephane Grichting was taken to hospital and needed a catheter inserted after being kicked in the stomach in an apparent free-for-all in the tunnel.

FIFA conducted the first round of hearings in Zurich on Monday and Tuesday this week related to the main proceedings against the Turkish football association.

A FIFA statement said: "A total of 22 people were questioned as witnesses or testifiers, in some cases more than once, about the incidents.

"In addition, the persons involved in individual cases were called as defendants. The results of the investigation will determine whether additional individual proceedings are brought against those concerned or whether further hearings and more evidence are necessary."

Grichting was unable to attend the hearings for medical reasons and submitted his statement in writing.

The FIFA disciplinary committee's decisions are not expected until early 2006.

--------------------------------

Crap

I think he will get a hefty international ban, most likely also involving European Cup games.

So Newcastle don't have to worry. Neither will the club play in Europe next season anyway, nor do we have to worry about him getting injured while playing for Turkey...

But I don't think this proceedings will do his confidence any good.

I also do never want to see Emre showing this side of his character (I call it the Inter-side) when playing for Newcastle United!