Friday

Gemmill

Early finish and off to Edinburgh.

Any recommendations for an eaterie in the centre gladly accepted.

Dont know if you use it but I swear by tripadvisor. Used all the time on my recent jaunt around Europe and all the reccomendations were first class whether they were hotels or restaurants. Everything is rated by the people using them.

The page below shows 700 plus restaurants ranked in order of best to worst. You can narrow your selection by food type, price etc.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g...h_Scotland.html

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tuco Ramirez
There is a nice place in a beautiful old building with massive high celilings and old architecture on the road parallel and north of princess st. Thats all i can remember without googling.

Rose Street? That's where all the pubs and what not are.

Not normally a fan of Thai Gemmil, but that looks a nice place with a menu that tickles my fancy.

Just been on tripadvisor for the first time cheers CT, good stuff.

Cheers Chez, I'll walk around that general area :(

Can't trust Google as much as the people on here Alex. People who can be held accountable for a shitty recommendation :(

Not normally a fan of Thai Gemmil, but that looks a nice place with a menu that tickles my fancy.

Just been on tripadvisor for the first time cheers CT, good stuff.

Cheers Chez, I'll walk around that general area :(

Can't trust Google as much as the people on here Alex. People who can be held accountable for a shitty recommendation :(

Taking the piss out of CT :(

There is a nice place in a beautiful old building with massive high celilings and old architecture on the road parallel and north of princess st. Thats all i can remember without googling.

The Dome? It's in an old bank I think. Really nice inside and has a grill thing where you can get food.

HF, if you do fancy dusit, I would make a reservation cos it's canny popular.

The Dome? It's in an old bank I think. Really nice inside and has a grill thing where you can get food.

Thats the one. Lovely inside, i had Lindisfarne mussels to start which were so-so.

Is there a place called Brown's? The last time i was going up there, the old harbour master from Blyth was round our gaff (having a shnifter of brandy) and he recommended a place. Think it was called that but the memories are a bit hazy for one reason or another.

Thats the one. Lovely inside, i had Lindisfarne mussels to start which were so-so.

Is there a place called Brown's? The last time i was going up there, the old harbour master from Blyth was round our gaff (having a shnifter of brandy) and he recommended a place. Think it was called that but the memories are a bit hazy for one reason or another.

Browns is a chain of restaurants of which one is on George St.

I know the chain, thought it might have just had the same name.

Good chain though nonetheless.

I know the chain, thought it might have just had the same name.

Good chain though nonetheless.

Aye, it's canny enough from my experience.

The Dome on George street is nice like, definitely recommend it. Tiles nearby is alright for lunch - they have Leffe on draft.

I'd check out the Maison Bleu which is on the road leading up from the grassmarket heading to the high street in the old town. The place is trendily shabby in an ancient house, reasonably priced for french food. The venison (ask for it rare) was out of this world when I last went.

If you fancy veggie try David Bann's on St Mary's street (around the corner from the World's end pub). There's a fantastic pub round the corner from this as well which serves every lager known to man and first class burgers - I forget its name. It's on Holyrood street though.

Finally, you could try Chop Chop which is near the Haymarket. I've passed this but never been - it was a finalist on last years Ramsay's best restaurants.

The Dome on George street is nice like, definitely recommend it. Tiles nearby is alright for lunch - they have Leffe on draft.

I'd check out the Maison Bleu which is on the road leading up from the grassmarket heading to the high street in the old town. The place is trendily shabby in an ancient house, reasonably priced for french food. The venison (ask for it rare) was out of this world when I last went.

If you fancy veggie try David Bann's on St Mary's street (around the corner from the World's end pub). There's a fantastic pub round the corner from this as well which serves every lager known to man and first class burgers - I forget its name. It's on Holyrood street though.

Finally, you could try Chop Chop which is near the Haymarket. I've passed this but never been - it was a finalist on last years Ramsay's best restaurants.

"Restrunt" I think you'll find.

Gourmet Burger Kitchen is another chain, but the burgers are quality.

The Villager is a decent bar as well - www.villager-e.com for the website. Non-poncey.

If you're going upmarket for dinner, 21212 is meant to be nice. Not cheap though.

If you're looking for something a little more high class I can reccomend Shearer's Bar

"I'd check out the Maison Bleu"

"The place is trendily shabby"

"The venison (ask for it rare) was out of this world when I last went."

How's that stained glass window doing Renton? Have you tried Bonjour Allotet? I hear the shrimp's feet are extrordinarily delightful, even if the presentation has somewhat of an isouciant air about it, and the clientele are somewhat obstreperous in their manner. The triple figure bills are but a pittance to me however.

If you're looking for something a little more high class I can reccomend Shearer's Bar

How's that stained glass window doing Renton? Have you tried Bonjour Allotet? I hear the shrimp's feet are extrordinarily delightful, even if the presentation has somewhat of an isouciant air about it, and the clientele are somewhat obstreperous in their manner. The triple figure bills are but a pittance to me however.

It's good value as it happens (20 quid for 3 courses iirc), and the rare venision is ace - one of the best thing I've ever eaten - hence the descriptive flourish. What exactly is the problem with that? Because I described it as trendily shabby? Ok, shabby then. :(

It's good value as it happens (20 quid for 3 courses iirc), and the rare venision is ace - one of the best thing I've ever eaten - hence the descriptive flourish. What exactly is the problem with that? Because I described it as trendily shabby? Ok, shabby then. :(

Amusingly huffy response.

Reminds me, a couple of years ago I went to a Chinese restaurant near the castle and the waitress brought the wrong order. When I complained she started crying - pretty awkward situation, I got the impression she was an abused immigrant. I ended up just paying for it.

Amusingly huffy response.

Mr Assilleekunt has been living up to his name regarding me lately. Who were you again previously Mr Kunt?

Reminds me, a couple of years ago I went to a Chinese restaurant near the castle and the waitress brought the wrong order. When I complained she started crying - pretty awkward situation, I got the impression she was an abused immigrant. I ended up just paying for it.

Probably thought you were Ramsay lining up some more kitchen nightmares tbf. Had visions of having to watch you stripped to the waist getting into your chef clobber and calling her gaffer "big boy". It'd bring tears to anyone's eyes.