Newcastle United 1-2 Stoke City

Wavey Davey

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The large number after the size of the pitch is calculated by multiplying the length and width of the pitch (in yards):

Commonly know as the "area" in technical terms :cry:

That's from the site you cheeky shitehawk, not my words!! It should have been in quotes. In fact t should have just been deleted it's so patronising but I didnt even clock that I'd cut/pasted it at first. :lol:

A bit of digging has thrown up one old article to back it up..

CHRIS HUGHTON has ordered groundsmen to restrict the size of Newcastle's pitch for fear of the Premier League's wide boys.

Newcastle conceded just 13 league goals on their own turf last season, sharing with Nottingham Forest the best home defensive record in the Championship.

But Hughton fears his back line may struggle with the step up in class. He will reduce the 75-yard width of the St James's Park pitch by at least four yards to crowd out visiting forwards.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/foot...PITCHES-IN.html

According to that we would now be:

110x 69 (7590)

clearly making us the smallest in the League although I think the length may have reduced a little too.

A bit of digging has thrown up one old article to back it up..

CHRIS HUGHTON has ordered groundsmen to restrict the size of Newcastle's pitch for fear of the Premier League's wide boys.

Newcastle conceded just 13 league goals on their own turf last season, sharing with Nottingham Forest the best home defensive record in the Championship.

But Hughton fears his back line may struggle with the step up in class. He will reduce the 75-yard width of the St James's Park pitch by at least four yards to crowd out visiting forwards.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/foot...PITCHES-IN.html

According to that we would now be:

110x 69 (7590)

clearly making us the smallest in the League although I think the length may have reduced a little too.

So by reducing the width of the "area" he's increased the run up for twats like Delap - great!

Regarding Nolan though, had that late effort gone in, there'd be not much complaining.

Nolan needs to be contributing a goal or assist nearly every game though because he contributes so little else to them team

Without those he's just taking up space someone more mobile/threatening should be in

I mentioned the lack of overlapping on the left from barfa making Jose less effective, for me got to push him inside where he likes to be and leave jonas on the left to continue the solid partnership he and Jose have

hughton has created a rod for his own back by making nolan skipper. will he have the balls to drop him? he dropped smith after all. a far more mobiel unit would be routeledge, ben arfa and jonas all buzzing around carrol with tiote and barton deeper and smith and nolan benched.

People might have moaned about his overall contribution, but 2 goals and his ability in the air against a team with ability in that department would have certainly been enough to warrant inclusion.

I'm not trying to say he's good enough to start at home though as a second striker. When you have someone like Carroll up front, you need players with pace getting close to him, not Nolan trying to read his flicks and getting nowhere close. Then again, trying to play the ball in the air against the best team in the league at that is probably a little silly.

Im not sure why we decided to go Kamikaze for the win.

Leaving 2 v 2 at the back at 1-1 was asking for trouble. They did a job on us in that respect.

I wonder how many of their goals come from set pieces every year. The majority of their players are very limited footballers but know how to score when the ball is hoisted into the box

With regards to Hughton; it's the nature of having a manager with little experience that mistakes will be made. When he's made them in the past, he's seemed to learn from them. He needs to learn how to make decent subs like but with the shite on offer on the bench, I can see why he struggles for new ideas with them.

Edited by A NICE HAT

With regards to Hughton; it's the nature of having a manager with little experience that mistakes will be made. When he's made them in the past, he's seemed to learn from them. He needs to learn how to make decent subs like but with the shite on offer on the bench, I can see why he struggles for new ideas with them.

Gutierrez is a decent sub to throw on. Saying that, i'd start him next game instead of Wayneo.

Gutierrez is a decent sub to throw on. Saying that, i'd start him next game instead of Wayneo.

id start him over nolan

routledge ben arfa jonas

-----------carroll

is a forward line with a lot of pace, good dribblers and physical presence of carroll, that would worry a lot of defences, we know routledge seems reluctant to get to the byline a lot of the time coming inside but with ben arfa to pass to over nolan we've someone there who will either make quicker runs to pass on to or, as we've seen, can rifle a decent effort in from range and Jonas and Jose on the left have a good partnership going, both defensively with jonas tracking back and getting forward overlapping for each other

Edited by Andrew

Neither of them would get a start in a decent team. Gutierrez looks good going past a couple of men but he needs to get far more consistent with the final pass.

Perch is a fucking huge problem. Shite defender, offers little or nothing going forward and is uncomfortable on the ball often playing short passes to marked men just to get rid of it. Makes Routledge look worse because he offers fuck all on the RHS. I didn't think his game could get any worse but I'd now rate him as bad as the worst RBs I've seen at Newcastle in my time. If we don't get rid of him he'll continue to cost us points. Forest fans must be have a right laugh if they watch him and read Hughton's quotes.

Neither of them would get a start in a decent team. Gutierrez looks good going past a couple of men but he needs to get far more consistent with the final pass.

Perch is a fucking huge problem. Shite defender, offers little or nothing going forward and is uncomfortable on the ball often playing short passes to marked men just to get rid of it. Makes Routledge look worse because he offers fuck all on the RHS. I didn't think his game could get any worse but I'd now rate him as bad as the worst RBs I've seen at Newcastle in my time. If we don't get rid of him he'll continue to cost us points. Forest fans must be have a right laugh if they watch him and read Hughton's quotes.

which makes him generally more threatening that nolan imo

Not much in it if you ask me. Both of them are out of their depth in the premier league along with quite a few others unfortunately.

Add a deer in the headlights manager with no fucking idea about substitutions and it looks like a long hard winter.

Not much in it if you ask me. Both of them are out of their depth in the premier league along with quite a few others unfortunately.

Add a deer in the headlights manager with no fucking idea about substitutions and it looks like a long hard winter.

Ya, i'd agree.. Athletically, he's not at premier league standard..

5 yellows and 1 own goal in 6 games tell its own story. He seems like a decent lad but he simply isnt good enough. I hope Raylor starts the next game and Simpson should be 1st choice until January when he gets back.

Hughton probably wont drop him though as he signed him.