Newcastle United 1-2 Stoke City

Wavey Davey

I'd rather play Taylor and get a little greater ability to deliver a cross/free kick/corner and lose a bit on pace/strength. Genuinely I see Perch as a very poor Hughes clone. Not big and strong enough to be dominant, nor quick enough to rectify his mistakes, nor tricky enough to be a ersatz wing back... just a bit of jack of all trades. However, Hughes was vastly superior to Perch based on current displays.

Simpson is a better right back than Ryan Taylor, but I think the best RB at the club is Steven Taylor. Big, strong, fairly quick, brave and decent going forward.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather play Taylor and get a little greater ability to deliver a cross/free kick/corner and lose a bit on pace/strength. Genuinely I see Perch as a very poor Hughes clone. Not big and strong enough to be dominant, nor quick enough to rectify his mistakes, nor tricky enough to be a ersatz wing back... just a bit of jack of all trades. However, Hughes was vastly superior to Perch based on current displays.

Simpson is a better right back than Ryan Taylor, but I think the best RB at the club is Steven Taylor. Big, strong, fairly quick, brave and decent going forward.

Aye, forgot about Stevie T. Isn't he still on the transfer list btw?

I think so too, would also give us the benefit of having 4 defenders who can actually defend and he does seem to produce the odd times hes played at RB getting forward

I think so too, would also give us the benefit of having 4 defenders who can actually defend and he does seem to produce the odd times hes played at RB getting forward

Maybe even play three at the back, Tiote just ahead of Colo, Willy and Saylor, Enrique and Jonas as wing backs, Barton and A.N. Other, BArfa and cArroll up front...

:lol:

Not much in it if you ask me. Both of them are out of their depth in the premier league along with quite a few others unfortunately.

Add a deer in the headlights manager with no fucking idea about substitutions and it looks like a long hard winter.

No quarter given 'sniffer' post classic. :lol:

Nolan's two penneth:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Kevin...icle589693.html

Kevin Nolan has told critics of Newcaste boss Chris Hughton’s tactics to stop moaning.

Home defeats to Stoke and Blackpool were caused by mistakes, not the 4-5-1 formation says the Toon skipper.

“We were brilliant at Everton and nobody moaned about playing 4-5-1 then,” said Nolan. “We let sloppy goals in and suddenly the formation is being questioned. We’ve come unstuck because of two badly defended set-pieces.

“The formation wasn’t the problem, the little mistakes at set-pieces were. That has to be a massive lesson for us because we can’t afford to give away sloppy goals.

“There is a lot of disappointment around after the Stoke defeat, but if you defend set-pieces badly you’ll get punished in this league.”

Nolan's two penneth:

Kevin Nolan has told critics of Newcaste boss Chris Hughton’s tactics to stop moaning.

Home defeats to Stoke and Blackpool were caused by mistakes, not the 4-5-1 formation says the Toon skipper.

“We were brilliant at Everton and nobody moaned about playing 4-5-1 then,” said Nolan. “We let sloppy goals in and suddenly the formation is being questioned. We’ve come unstuck because of two badly defended set-pieces.

“The formation wasn’t the problem, the little mistakes at set-pieces were. That has to be a massive lesson for us because we can’t afford to give away sloppy goals.

“There is a lot of disappointment around after the Stoke defeat, but if you defend set-pieces badly you’ll get punished in this league.”

What is he fakin talking about 451 is suitable for Everton away, it isn't for pub team at home. Nolan thicker than Shola?

Lot of shit being talked. We were all over Blackpool and Stoke and should have had both games in the bag in the first half at which point we would now be 2nd behind Chelsea.

How many chances did we create against Stoke then?

Nobody moans about 451 against teams away from home, people moan about a defensive line-up against fucking Blackpool and shitty Stoke.

4-5-1 isn't necessarily a defensive formation, it depends on how you play. I don't think we were defensive against Blackpool, and when you start with 2 wingers and a shadow striker (yes I know it's only Nolan but still) it's harsh to call that overly negative in my view. If it had been like the beginning of last season where we sometimes lined up with a midfield of Gutierrez, Smith, Nolan, Barton and Guthrie then I'd be inclined to agree with you, but that hasn't been the case.

If he was to drop Nolan and stick Ben Arfa in the hole, with Gutierrez out wideit would be the same system, but no-one could say it was negative or defensive.

Not much in it if you ask me. Both of them are out of their depth in the premier league along with quite a few others unfortunately.

Add a deer in the headlights manager with no fucking idea about substitutions and it looks like a long hard winter.

That's the spirit!

What's your point?

Nolan's two penneth:

If Nolan reckons that winning a game on the back of the brilliance of one players strike represents the whole team being brilliant then he's sadly mistaken. Several players in that game were very good, but Everton came mighty mighty close to at least equalising with a very good chance from Yakubu hitting the post, and Fellaini missing (though I think it was blocked by Willo) an excellent chance in injury time. Were both of those to have gone in we would have been looking down the barrel of a defeat - despite Ben Arfa's strike - in a match where we largely dominated. By my definition that's far from 'brilliant'. We need to be scoring more goals when we're on top of other teams as much as we were against Everton and were in the first half against Stoke.

Of course Nolan is going to come out and say this, as he knows outside a 4-5-1 he has no chance of making the side. He'll be a handy player to have at various stages of the season, perhaps used as a sub late on in matches where we're equal or behind.

Beaten at home by Stoke and Blackpool; you can't polish a turd but if hold your nose you might now and then manage to roll it in glitter.

Long long winter indeed.

Edited by trophyshy

Player who should be dropped to change the formation says "stop shouting about changing the formation"

:wub:

Blame individual mistakes not tactics - Nolan

Sep 28 2010 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

KEVIN Nolan has blamed individual mistakes and not the team’s formation for Newcastle United’s poor home results.

The Magpies were unbeaten all season in the Championship at St James’ Park, but have lost two out of three on home soil so far this season following the back-to-back defeats to Blackpool and Stoke.

That has raised concerns about Chris Hughton’s preference for a lone striker, with Nolan tucked in behind Andy Carroll in an advanced midfield role.

But Nolan has dismissed the debate about systems and set-ups as he argued it was a problem defending set-pieces which allowed Stoke to take all three points on Sunday.

“People make a massive thing about it, but every Premier League team play like this,” said Nolan, whose first-half penalty on Sunday took his tally this season three goals in seven games.

“Manchester United and Chelsea play like it at home, so why can’t Newcastle play it at home? Why are we always a 4-4-2 side? I’ve never understood why Newcastle have to play two up front.

“We’ve got two wingers who ran riot in the first half (against Stoke). Even when we put Shola (Ameobi) on in the second half, it didn’t change anything.

“We’ve got to be adaptable and I think we are. We can play different formations, but we’re living in an era and a league of 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 if you like.

“You know, last week we were brilliant at Everton and nobody moaned about playing 4-5-1 then.

“We started off well against Stoke in a 4-5-1, but we let sloppy goals in and suddenly the formation is being questioned. The formation wasn’t the problem, the little mistakes at set-pieces were the problem. They were costly.”

Nolan will always look to maintain an equilibrium at Newcastle, refusing to be too disheartened by a defeat or over-confident after a victory.

It is part of his job as skipper and, despite his frustration at seeing Stoke overturn a 1-0 half-time deficit, the former Bolton Wanderers star looked to ensure the disappointment does not fester.

He said: “We have to keep looking at the bigger picture. We’re in a new league and we’re a new Newcastle if you like, and we will keep working towards our aims.

“We’re there or thereabouts at the moment. We know we could have had more points on the table and we probably should have more points on the table if you look at the games we have lost at home, but that’s what this league does to you.

“I’m sure we will win games we probably don’t deserve to along the way. We’ve already lost games we should have won, but that’s why the Premier League is so punishing. We’ve got to look forward now and get on with it.

“It’s another setback at home, but that is all it is, a setback. Obviously we wanted to continue from the two great results we’ve had away from home, we wanted to keep the ball rolling.”

Nevertheless, there was also a warning from Nolan as he criticised the mistakes which allowed Stoke to score from two set-pieces in the second half and hit the woodwork from another.

He added: “We’ve come unstuck because of two badly defended set-pieces. That has to be a massive lesson for us to learn because we cannot afford to give goals away as sloppy as that.

“We’d been working on that all week, they didn’t come with any surprises. We controlled the game for long periods and then we got sloppy at the back.

“We gave them more set piece opportunities than we would have liked and they punished us. We were very sloppy and by our standards, it wasn’t good enough.

“We’ve got to make sure we learn from it because a lot of teams will come here looking to do the same. We can’t get away from the fact that, no matter how well we have played, we’ve been beaten twice at home now.

“Teams will look to absorb the pressure here and attack us through set-pieces. It’s a harsh lesson, but we have to take it on board quickly.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...61634-27353851/

What a big load of shite.

Piss off Nolan.

Edited by Isegrim

Nobody moans about 451 against teams away from home, people moan about a defensive line-up against fucking Blackpool and shitty Stoke.

4-5-1 isn't necessarily a defensive formation, it depends on how you play. I don't think we were defensive against Blackpool, and when you start with 2 wingers and a shadow striker (yes I know it's only Nolan but still) it's harsh to call that overly negative in my view. If it had been like the beginning of last season where we sometimes lined up with a midfield of Gutierrez, Smith, Nolan, Barton and Guthrie then I'd be inclined to agree with you, but that hasn't been the case.

If he was to drop Nolan and stick Ben Arfa in the hole, with Gutierrez out wideit would be the same system, but no-one could say it was negative or defensive.

good point. chelsea play 4-5-1 at home and no one calls it defensive.

it's the right formation with the wrong players - the system needs mobility and pace in the front 4. hughton's got it half right by dropping smith for tiote. now he needs to drop nolan for gutierrez. i've been impressed with hughton so far this season but he has a big call to make now and it's a test for him. at home, he should be playing our three most attack minded midfielders - routeledge, ben arfa and gutierrez. i don't mind nolan playing in the hole away from home but against poorer quality teams we need more pace behind the front man.