Newcastle United 1-2 Stoke City

Wavey Davey

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a horrible result. Did not deserve to lose that one ffs.

If Newcastle want to do anything this season, they need to have Tiote and Ben Arfa on the pitch for as long as possible. The Tiote switch was baffling to me. He's a rock back there and could have provided some calm during the last 20 minutes.

And I know a lot of you love Joey Barton, and he has played a lot better this season, but I'm telling you, they will always have trouble creating good chances along the deck if a change isn't made eventually. Perhaps moving Arfa in that role and return Jonas back to his left wing would be more constructive. Do not be fooled with that 6- love drubbing of Villa. Most of those goals came off scrambles in the box, and one that A. Carrol created himself.

But all in all, the club is building nicely since being promoted. Eventually, a good pacey striker would be a nice addition along with other additions to the club to replace those that are, imo, wrongly being adored by its supporters right now.

Who?

Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan for one. A stronger CB that is good in the air to replace Collocini, although Collo has been pretty solid this season thus far. If the club has ambitions other than survival, these are the decisions that have to be made. But in due time. So far so good in picking up Tiote and Ben Arfa.

I dont think ANYONE on here adores Barton or Nolan for that matter.

Id say Nolan is more contempted, where as i think alot of people are giving Barton a chance to actually do a job for us, and up till now, is doing pretty well.

agree with GL there, also, go out and find us a fan who adores collocini, ive seen him being given plaudits for a solid start but "adored"?

Routledge need a rest to revitalise. Jonas will give more value over a full game, and Routledge can add some punch off the bench with his pace. Always seems to start games brightly but then burns out quickly and becomes frustrated and frustrating.

Amdy Faye/Cheick Tiote WTF? :lol:

I agree about Routledge, i do like him but he has been shit of late. Got to be Gutierrez and Ben Arfa next.

This guys a clown if he was even remotely serious with that comment....Tiote looks quality!

Stumbled around if pressured and was lucky to get away with a few loose balls. lack of actual tackles - didn't see much quality tbh.

He did look good last week so I hope it was an off day - which it has to be said applies to Barton compared with last well as well.

Have to say i seem to have been watching a completely different player to you. Tiote was everywhere, stoppign there attacks and whenever he got the ball he used it and got us moving, he looked a top aquisition to me. And it was quite clear once him and Ben Arfa were off we lost the plot. With them we have control of possesion and were knocking it about, unfortunately in their half we created jack shit, but we did keep the ball! Once they were both gone we were seriously struggling.

Unless he was injured i have no idea what Hughton was doing with Ben Arfa, yes he wasn't storming it, but he was moving it round simply and accurately and there was always the chance he'd pull something out.

And simply put Perch looks every bit the player Forest fans all said wasn't good enough even for the championship, he is way out of his depth. Before his goal he'd twice fucked up leading to them getting chances in the box which hit the woodwork/were missed. I reckon he must have been with the Pakistan cricketers and had a bet on Stoke because when they didn't take advantage of his gifts he thought fuck it, i'll do it myself and burried the header.

So far he's achieved 5 yellows, a pen against Wolves he got away with and the winner for stoke today, Raylor is looking like a world beater now!

Taking Tiote off was the cardinal error. His industry and power helps keep big phusical sides like Stoke in check. Once he came off they ran through the middle at will. Need to stop playing Perch as soon as possinle he isn't a PL player basically and not in a Routledge kind of way who can have good moments. Perch is rarely in the right positon and shouldn't really be marking Huth on a set piece, Carroll should. I don't want to lay into CH as he's got a lot right over the last couple of weeks.

I thought that match demonstrated our need for strikers more than anything.

Especilly a mobile one that can defences on the back foot worried about the space behind them. As with Blackpool, Stoke held their shape and soaked up the first half hour and then started to go about their business. Franky we looked hesitant and scared in the second half and one Bafra and Tiote came off we lost our two best players. With Bafra a case could be made that he for the first time didn't perform miracles, but even a 70% Bafra keeps other sides from moving up the pitch without fear.

If Newcastle want to do anything this season, they need to have Tiote and Ben Arfa on the pitch for as long as possible. The Tiote switch was baffling to me. He's a rock back there and could have provided some calm during the last 20 minutes.

And I know a lot of you love Joey Barton, and he has played a lot better this season, but I'm telling you, they will always have trouble creating good chances along the deck if a change isn't made eventually. Perhaps moving Arfa in that role and return Jonas back to his left wing would be more constructive. Do not be fooled with that 6- love drubbing of Villa. Most of those goals came off scrambles in the box, and one that A. Carrol created himself.

But all in all, the club is building nicely since being promoted. Eventually, a good pacey striker would be a nice addition along with other additions to the club to replace those that are, imo, wrongly being adored by its supporters right now.

Who?

Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan for one. A stronger CB that is good in the air to replace Collocini, although Collo has been pretty solid this season thus far. If the club has ambitions other than survival, these are the decisions that have to be made. But in due time. So far so good in picking up Tiote and Ben Arfa.

Id say Nolan is more contempted, where as i think alot of people are giving Barton a chance to actually do a job for us, and up till now, is doing pretty well.

Agreed. Joey Barton is doing a relatively good job for us thus far. But eventually, if the club has ambitions higher than survival and mid-table, then players like Barton will have to be upgraded, imo.

I thought that match demonstrated our need for strikers more than anything.

Especilly a mobile one that can defences on the back foot worried about the space behind them. As with Blackpool, Stoke held their shape and soaked up the first half hour and then started to go about their business. Franky we looked hesitant and scared in the second half and one Bafra and Tiote came off we lost our two best players. With Bafra a case could be made that he for the first time didn't perform miracles, but even a 70% Bafra keeps other sides from moving up the pitch without fear.

Thing is...Lovenkrands is quite and makes good runs.

Ben Arfa is quite and make good runs with the addition of skill, guile and ability.

So we have two options right there.

Hughton wont drop his mate though.

Taking Tiote off was the cardinal error. His industry and power helps keep big phusical sides like Stoke in check. Once he came off they ran through the middle at will. Need to stop playing Perch as soon as possinle he isn't a PL player basically and not in a Routledge kind of way who can have good moments. Perch is rarely in the right positon and shouldn't really be marking Huth on a set piece, Carroll should. I don't want to lay into CH as he's got a lot right over the last couple of weeks.

Yeah, he doesn't understand positioning at all and at one point he just ran out of play with the ball under no pressure! And i agree with you Hughton deserves the chance to learn from mistakes, realise who has to be dropped, but he has to get more out of us at home to poor opposition.

So far its early days but it appears Hughton can pull out some cracking singings like Tiote and Ben Arfa, but that when he goes for a bargain we get Perch and Best!

Who?

Agreed. Joey Barton is doing a relatively good job for us thus far. But eventually, if the club has ambitions higher than survival and mid-table, then players like Barton will have to be upgraded, imo.

Well...

This season is all about staying up and possibly a money spilling cup run.

Next year we will look to progress and establish.

I think, more hope, that once this season is over and we are still a PL side that Nolan, Smith, Shola, Harper, Best and Perch are all moved on and replaced.

Krul, Forster, Enrique, Kadar, Coloccini, Saylor, Williamson, Raylor, Simpson, Barton, Guthrie, Gosling, Ben Arfa (If we keep him) Gutierrez and Carroll are all players who either are or could be PL players.

Yeah, he doesn't understand positioning at all and at one point he just ran out of play with the ball under no pressure! And i agree with you Hughton deserves the chance to learn from mistakes, realise who has to be dropped, but he has to get more out of us at home to poor opposition.

So far its early days but it appears Hughton can pull out some cracking singings like Tiote and Ben Arfa, but that when he goes for a bargain we get Perch and Best!

KNowing that Stoke sit back and counter and are a farly conservative side (only 6 away wins in 2 seasons) we should have gone Shola/Carroll upfront and dropped Nolan.

Just back. Pretty awful game that we just never got going in.

Positives - Collo had a cracking game at the back and Tiote was equally impressive. Routledge was effective going forward and Ben Arfa was brigh and ran well off the ball as well as with it.

Negatives - I thought again Barton and Nolan were poor and Williamson seemed to struggle today. We also seemed to keep passing the ball to Kruls right foot when he's a left pegger. I thought the subs were odd as well. Especially tiote. I agree we needed a second forward on but surely Nolan was the choice to come off?

I reckon its going to be like this all season though. unexpected wins and losses and finished mid table, which is still decent considering.

KNowing that Stoke sit back and counter and are a farly conservative side (only 6 away wins in 2 seasons) we should have gone Shola/Carroll upfront and dropped Nolan.

Is the correct answer - same as the Blackpool game , playing an away game formation at home against poor opposition.

Lack of urgency in the first half to go for the jugular and Nolan constantly being behind the forward play - he is supposed to be the support striker ffs , he was fukin nowhere all game, Routledge was going inside too much and the less said about the second half subs the better, Tiote was a beast and ben arfa was a constant threat - Krul was fuckin awful as well

Who?

Well...

This season is all about staying up and possibly a money spilling cup run.

Next year we will look to progress and establish.

I think, more hope, that once this season is over and we are still a PL side that Nolan, Smith, Shola, Harper, Best and Perch are all moved on and replaced.

Krul, Forster, Enrique, Kadar, Coloccini, Saylor, Williamson, Raylor, Simpson, Barton, Guthrie, Gosling, Ben Arfa (If we keep him) Gutierrez and Carroll are all players who either are or could be PL players.

Right. And acquiring Tiote and Ben Arfa SHOULD solidify that goal of survival. Btw, I didn't say we need to get rid of Barton or Colocinni ( I'm butchering his name, aren't I?), they can be used in the rotation. But I suspect both of their wages are amongst the highest on the club ( someone correct me if I'm wrong), and I just don't think Barton, in the grand scheme of things, is worth it.

Just back. Pretty awful game that we just never got going in.

Positives - Collo had a cracking game at the back and Tiote was equally impressive. Routledge was effective going forward and Ben Arfa was brigh and ran well off the ball as well as with it.

Negatives - I thought again Barton and Nolan were poor and Williamson seemed to struggle today. We also seemed to keep passing the ball to Kruls right foot when he's a left pegger. I thought the subs were odd as well. Especially tiote. I agree we needed a second forward on but surely Nolan was the choice to come off?

I reckon its going to be like this all season though. unexpected wins and losses and finished mid table, which is still decent considering.

you sure you weren't at the bolton and man u game? William was good and so was barton. Routledge was shit and barfa wasn't bright going forward because he done nothing all game.

Three questions for Hughton;

Why do you play Nolan?

What was your reasoning behind today's substitutions

Why do you play Nolan?

I could add another question to those ;

Why do you play Nolan?

I'm sure he has covered that one, Norbert.

Three questions for Hughton;

Why do you play Nolan?

What was your reasoning behind today's substitutions

Why do you play Nolan?

I could add another question to those ;

Why do you play Nolan?

I'm sure he has covered that one, Norbert.

I don't think it can be asked enough times tbh

Even though Ameobe scored 2 in his last outing I would not have put him in.

I would have taken Nolan off and put Lovenkrands in.

I would not have taken Tiote off.

% yellow cards in 5 games and now an own-goal winner. Perhaps Taylor would be a better choice than Perch.

Lots of possesion in the first half but no real threat on goal.

Barton had a decent game.

Still have to question Hughton's ability to make the right substitutions at the right time.

4-5-1 at home - two loses at home.

We were so one dimentional today it was unreal. Carrol had zero support and Ben Arfa is just completely being wasted. He barely got a touch of the ball today. EVERYTHING needs to go through this lad, he needs to be playing in the whole behind a couple of strikers where he can do most the damage. I am sick of this negative tactic at home, you are never going to break down a side like Stoke by playing one up front. Come on Chris sort it out.

The one plus for me today was Tiote. What an execellent buy he is turning out to be. VERY impressed with this lad.

Edited by duo

How fickle can football fans be?

Was reading the Oatcake forum at half time, all of the stoke fans on there were having a right go at the team and Jones. Looked after the game and suddenly they were different class!

Fuck me they were awful, how we conceded two goals against that shite is beyond belief.