Internet Explorer 8

LeazesMag

Have a look for yourself.

http://www.opera.com/

If it makes you feel better I installed Chrome for my mum and she is not having any trouble with it.

I can see it's fast, IE was OK until it started deleting my privacy options. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks to all.

I'll say it one last time...it's your anti virus software

aye, sorry mate. I was out earlier but I'll disable it and see how it gets on tomorrow.

If it is AVG, I'll go back to using avast because this is a ball-ache tbh. Do you have any idea why it does this, is it a setting ?

it's done it again, within the last 5 minutes. The only file in the privacy box is motive.com

I can't find a setting anywhere.

When I installed this hub, I had to stop it while it was doing it, and started again. Do you think I should uninstall the hub and re-install it ? Or change virus checkers [this wasn't happening before I installed the hub, but I was using AVG9]

Googled antivirus deletes cookies, ran across this-

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en...12-a069d6433eab

First important bit is about halfway down the page-

Hi again

The problem has finally gone away. How did I do it... ?

Well, been reading for weeks around the net, to try and solve the problem, tried a lot, nothing helped...

then I found a page saying this problem might be because of some tracking-cookies, add-cookies or so, that

are malformed or even can make ie delete other cookies.

So I fired up f-secure online scanner http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/s...nner/index.html

and it found 20 or so 'hostile' cookies. I let f-secure delete them, and after this the problem is gone.

Now I have forced my AVG antivirus installation to scan for trackingcookies and autodelete them.

If that doesn't help, the very last post in the thread says this-

I checked "Override automatic cookie handling", enabled "Accept" First-party and Third-party Cookies and checked "Always allow session sookies". And problem gone. Thanx to Patricia (http://mdasblog.wordpress.com/2009/05/02/why-are-my-cookies-being-deleted-in-ie8/#comment-1159)
Edited by Cid_MCDP

the cookies aren't being deleted, just the sites in the privacy box. This is causing me to get more spam etc as I manually accept or reject sites.

I don't really understand your problem. The thread started off with you talking about your IE "not retaining" cookies, now you're having to manually accept/ reject sites and the cookies aren't being deleted? Has the problem changed over the course of this thread? Any chance you could take a screenshot of the privacy box you're talking about or maybe explain how to pull up the box (say, "click on tools, in-private filtering, then click... etc.") so we can try to clarify what/ where you're having your issue?

the insert image doesn't seem to work.

it is tools/internet options/privacy/sites

sorry mate. I thought at first it was deleting cookies, but it is deleting everything in this box, apart from motive.com

As I manually accept or reject cookies, it is asking me to accept cookies which I already have accepted or rejected. The result is that I am also getting cookies for the rejected sites, which contain the dross advert sites etc that my spyware checker keeps finding.

sorry mate. I thought at first it was deleting cookies, but it is deleting everything in this box, apart from motive.com

As I manually accept or reject cookies, it is asking me to accept cookies which I already have accepted or rejected. The result is that I am also getting cookies for the rejected sites, which contain the dross advert sites etc that my spyware checker keeps finding.

Ah, ok!

After seeing you mention motive.com several times, I tried Googling it with various other terms like "cookie delete" and "cookie problem", I ran across this on a BT messageboard-

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/per-...tions/m-p/32750

I am running Windows Vista home premium with IE7. I have AVG & Spybot search & destroy as my anti virus programs and have recently added SuperAntispyware free edition.

Recently & around twice a day all the sites listed in my 'per site privacy' tab are deleted and replaced with just one site motive.com marked as allowed. I am pretty sure the motive.com insertion is connected with my new bt -homehub as I found a cookie called cookie:mike@pbttbc.bt.motive.com but Antispyware didn't seem to consider it malware/adware so I've let it stay.

My cookie handling is set to block first & 3rd party cookies with the 'allow session cookies' & 'override automatic cookie handling' ticked.

It all seems very virusy but can find nothing on the internet explaining how to resolve this issue although I have found others who seem to have had problems with sites disappearing. Any ideas?

Which sounds a little like your issue. If you read through that thread it gets pretty deep pretty quickly, but it's a moot point anyway, the guys start talking about how BT/ Motive manages the hub anyway and not much about the actual problem.

I'm not a network guy, so this is all kind of over my head, tbh, but it seems as though you might have been on to something when you were talking about your hub and getting interrupted while installing it, unlikely as it may sound. It kinda seems like your router is resetting itself back to factory settings possibly because of the pause during installation and keeps wiping your privacy settings back to default. You didn't mention it, but did you try re-installing your hub already? Barring that, maybe yours was flashed with bad firmware or is just defective out of the box?

Ah, ok!

After seeing you mention motive.com several times, I tried Googling it with various other terms like "cookie delete" and "cookie problem", I ran across this on a BT messageboard-

I am running Windows Vista home premium with IE7. I have AVG & Spybot search & destroy as my anti virus programs and have recently added SuperAntispyware free edition.

Recently & around twice a day all the sites listed in my 'per site privacy' tab are deleted and replaced with just one site motive.com marked as allowed. I am pretty sure the motive.com insertion is connected with my new bt -homehub as I found a cookie called cookie:mike@pbttbc.bt.motive.com but Antispyware didn't seem to consider it malware/adware so I've let it stay.

My cookie handling is set to block first & 3rd party cookies with the 'allow session cookies' & 'override automatic cookie handling' ticked.

It all seems very virusy but can find nothing on the internet explaining how to resolve this issue although I have found others who seem to have had problems with sites disappearing. Any ideas?

Which sounds a little like your issue. If you read through that thread it gets pretty deep pretty quickly, but it's a moot point anyway, the guys start talking about how BT/ Motive manages the hub anyway and not much about the actual problem.

I'm not a network guy, so this is all kind of over my head, tbh, but it seems as though you might have been on to something when you were talking about your hub and getting interrupted while installing it, unlikely as it may sound. It kinda seems like your router is resetting itself back to factory settings possibly because of the pause during installation and keeps wiping your privacy settings back to default. You didn't mention it, but did you try re-installing your hub already? Barring that, maybe yours was flashed with bad firmware or is just defective out of the box?

my instinct, rightly or wrongly, is telling me to uninstall the hub and re-install it. Then see what happens. I hope this won't be a problem. If it's bad firmware then I will have to get back to BT ? Is uninstalling the hub and re-installing it likely to be a problem or cause a problem ?

edit. this guys problem is as close to mine as is likely to find.

Edited by LeazesMag

Ah, ok!

my instinct, rightly or wrongly, is telling me to uninstall the hub and re-install it. Then see what happens. I hope this won't be a problem. If it's bad firmware then I will have to get back to BT ? Is uninstalling the hub and re-installing it likely to be a problem or cause a problem ?

edit. this guys problem is as close to mine as is likely to find.

I don't think you'd have to send it back for bad firmware, but to be honest, I'm not familiar with how y'all do it over there. I seemed to find a "BT Firmware upgrade page" earlier when I was Googling that other stuff. Try Googling your provider with "update firmware" or go to your provider's homepage and have a look around- there's probably a link or a FAQ that will walk you through it.

It's totally possible though that looking for (and installing, if applicable) a firmware upgrade is one of the last steps in installing the hub, so I'd definitely give that a shot first.

Good luck!

Edited by Cid_MCDP

If you have the same issue as that link, the hub is not your issue. His problem was he installed the software that came with the hub on his PC, and that was causing the issue. He said when he run the BT help icon it added motive.com (removed the other sites).

If you have this issue, you can either work out what is triggering the update and stop doing it (as he did). Or (and this is my preferred choice) just remove all the BT software that came with the hub and use the built in windows software to connect to your hub.

If you have the same issue as that link, the hub is not your issue. His problem was he installed the software that came with the hub on his PC, and that was causing the issue. He said when he run the BT help icon it added motive.com (removed the other sites).

If you have this issue, you can either work out what is triggering the update and stop doing it (as he did). Or (and this is my preferred choice) just remove all the BT software that came with the hub and use the built in windows software to connect to your hub.

been busy this weekend. I've rebooted the hub this morning, but I'll try what you say if it does it again. I have set my privacy options to accept first party cookies and block 3rd party. I suppose by doing this I might not put cookies into this box in the first place, especially the 3rd party ones which are invariably the ones you would reject. I'll see if my spyware picks up any adware when I run a scan.

not building my hopes up...... :angry:

but it is now 48 hours since I uninstalled the BT Helpdesk programme. And nothing has gone wrong, nothing has disappeared.

In the event of this continuing.......many thanks to everybody.