He's gone

Jusoda Kid

SOUNESS RESIGNS AT NEWCASTLE

Thursday 1st December 2005

Former Liverpool ace Graeme Souness has resigned as manager of Newcastle United after just 16 months in charge at St James.

Souness, who was boss of Blackburn before taking over the FA Premiership club last August, achieved one of his greatest managerial feats earlier this year by signing England International Michael Owen.

But in a statement issued to the Press Association this morning by Souness' solicitors, Lipkin Gorman, he said: "It is with regret that I have to announce my resignation as manager of Newcastle United Football Club.

The statement added: "I came to the club with high hopes and expectations for the future, but it is now clear to me that I am not able to take the club forward in the way that I would have liked.

"The players can be proud of their achievement in retaining Premier League status and the club has enjoyed magnificent support from its supporters. I wish the club every success in the future.

"I also wish to thank the chairman, the board, my staff and everyone who is associated with the club for their help and support during my term as manager."

:unsure:

Thought I'd give this place a feel of N/O

Edited by Wacky Jnr

SOUNESS RESIGNS AT NEWCASTLE

Thursday 1st December 2005

Former Liverpool ace Graeme Souness has resigned as manager of Newcastle United after just 16 months in charge at St James.

Souness, who was boss of Blackburn before taking over the FA Premiership club last August, achieved one of his greatest managerial feats earlier this year by signing England International Michael Owen.

But in a statement issued to the Press Association this morning by Souness' solicitors, Lipkin Gorman, he said: "It is with regret that I have to announce my resignation as manager of Newcastle United Football Club.

The statement added: "I came to the club with high hopes and expectations for the future, but it is now clear to me that I am not able to take the club forward in the way that I would have liked.

"The players can be proud of their achievement in retaining Premier League status and the club has enjoyed magnificent support from its supporters. I wish the club every success in the future.

"I also wish to thank the chairman, the board, my staff and everyone who is associated with the club for their help and support during my term as manager."

:unsure:

Thought I'd give this place a feel of N/O

63314[/snapback]

Bastard! I actually went to .com to check ;)

The Chronicle should be interesting reading, let's see Anal defend his drinking mate this time.

63322[/snapback]

Souness on the brink

Dec 1 2005

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Graeme Souness was hanging on to his job as manager of Newcastle United today - but only just.

Vast numbers of United fans are clamouring for Souness to go after last night's embarrassing and humiliating Carling Cup defeat by what was virtually a reserve Wigan Athletic side.

But the fact that there is no obvious and available replacement for the Scot means that Souness may get some breathing space.

Certainly Freddy Shepherd was left in no doubt about the feelings of the 5,000 United fans at Wigan last night. The United chairman had already left his seat in the directors' box when, after acknowledging Shay Given and Scott Parker and Geordie boys Alan Shearer, Peter Ramage and Robbie Elliott - who had acknowledged them - the fans chanted: "We want Souness out." Quite frankly, Shepherd and fans deserve better than this, and the chairman was quite naturally down, by far from out today.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

He told me: "I felt sorry for our supporters, especially those who have travelled 165 miles on a freezing and foggy night to watch a performance like that, and I would like to say sorry to them. But we are all in this together. From me as chairman, to the management and the players, we have all got to stick together and get a win on Saturday, which would give everyone a huge lift."

But I watched as Shepherd pulled out of the Wigan car park, and the Newcastle supporters made it clear in no uncertain terms that they blame Souness for what has to be one of the darkest nights in the club history.

And as I watched Souness last night I could not help wondering if he has already given up. Normally, the United boss patrols his touchline beat liked a caged tiger, but last night he stayed in the shadows.

Souness is a decent and honourable guy, and he could decide that things are not working for him at St James' Park and fall on his own sword.

From the moment he came to St James' Park 14 months ago he has always insisted that this is his last job in football, but my gut feeling for the past month is that he could end up back at Rangers.

Certainly a move back to Ibrox must look like an appealing proposition to the Scot this morning. He knows that if he were to go back to Rangers then he would get something he has never got on Tyneside - adulation from the supporters.

I was halfway up the M6 last night when I took a call from Glasgow saying that Martin O'Neill would love to try his luck at St James' Park, but that he still needs a few more months while his wife recovers from her illness.

Another name which has cropped up about any possible vacancy on Tyneside is George Burley, who is currently out of a job after leaving Hearts in such controversial circumstances.

And Souness knows that if Aston Villa repeat their victory of last season on Tyneside his position will be most definitely untenable.

I was halfway up the M6 last night when I took a call from Glasgow saying that Martin O'Neill would love to try his luck at St James' Park, but that he still needs a few more months while his wife recovers from her illness.

tbh, speculative comments like that from Anal don't help one bit! Who made the call Mr Oliver? The voices in your head?

Twat!

tbh, speculative comments like that from Anal don't help one bit! Who made the call Mr Oliver? The voices in your head?

Twat!

63371[/snapback]

Brett Emerton made the call :unsure:

he never fails to come up with some belters :unsure:

Edited by Dan

Fair play to Anal for putting the boot in. However, his 'I was on the M6 when my phone rang' moment was vintage Anal. I hope the moxey bastid pulled over to answer it.

63391[/snapback]

Ronny Gill are too tight-arsed to buy him a hand's free kit tbh!

"Moxey bastid" :unsure:

Got me n'all  :(

Wacky, your're a total bastid.  :unsure:

63405[/snapback]

Don't worry you'll be reading a very similar document on Saturday night, hopefully

;)

I would rather have Roeder in charge until the end of the season than Souness.