Chairman: Keep A United Front

Craig

CHAIRMAN Freddy Shepherd says Newcastle United must maintain a united front despite the disappointment of a Carling Cup exit at Wigan Athletic.

A 1-0 reverse at the JJB Stadium did not go down well with the travelling supporters, and both manager Graeme Souness and skipper Alan Shearer admitted afterwards there could be no complaints about the result after a miserable performance.

Mr Shepherd himself acknowledged it had been a "dreadful" evening, but he is looking for a return to winning ways on Saturday when Aston Villa visit St. James' Park.

He told nufc.co.uk: "We are all in this together, the chairman, the board, the manager, the coaching staff, the players and the fans.

"We are all Newcastle United and we have to stay united. We are all one team.

"It was a dreadful performance at Wigan, but we have to put that behind us now and look forward to Saturday because there is still an awful lot of the season left and still so much to play for.

"We all have to stick together. I'll be behind the team on Saturday roaring them on, and I know the fans will do the same."

Shite! :unsure:

CHAIRMAN Freddy Shepherd says Newcastle United must maintain a united front despite the disappointment of a Carling Cup exit at Wigan Athletic.

A 1-0 reverse at the JJB Stadium did not go down well with the travelling supporters, and both manager Graeme Souness and skipper Alan Shearer admitted afterwards there could be no complaints about the result after a miserable performance.

Mr Shepherd himself acknowledged it had been a "dreadful" evening, but he is looking for a return to winning ways on Saturday when Aston Villa visit St. James' Park.

He told nufc.co.uk: "We are all in this together, the chairman, the board, the manager, the coaching staff, the players and the fans.

"We are all Newcastle United and we have to stay united. We are all one team.

"It was a dreadful performance at Wigan, but we have to put that behind us now and look forward to Saturday because there is still an awful lot of the season left and still so much to play for.

"We all have to stick together. I'll be behind the team on Saturday roaring them on, and I know the fans will do the same."

Shite! :unsure:

63324[/snapback]

This sort of statement means nothing where FS is concerned, just sharpening his axe imo while his legal team draught the neccessary documents for after saturdays game

Seems fairly non-committal. He was always going to have to come out and say something after last night. Seems like a standard staement for the situation. He's not going to come out and say "One more shower of shite performance and you're on your bike Souey".

I'd love that to be true, but my over-riding fear is that the compensation we'd have to pay Souness is the sticking point.

We're still paying SBR off and I wonder if the people in charge of the balance sheets are preventing Shepherd from giving him the push and adding to the 'compensation' column in the outgoings.

Seems ironic that the decision to sack the previous manager a couple of months after he signed an extension to a rolling 12 month contract may be preventing us from sacking his inferior successor.

why can't he say what we all want to hear:

"We the board, along with the manager and his coaching staff, and Shola Ameobi, Resign with immediate effect".

I'd love that to be true, but my over-riding fear is that the compensation we'd have to pay Souness is the sticking point.

We're still paying SBR off and I wonder if the people in charge of the balance sheets are preventing Shepherd from giving him the push and adding to the 'compensation' column in the outgoings.

Seems ironic that the decision to sack the previous manager a couple of months after he signed an extension to a rolling 12 month contract may be preventing us from sacking his inferior successor.

63330[/snapback]

how much is the compensation though?

What was Bobbys pay off , 2 mill? We lost that for just a few places in the league. We'd have to pay the remainder of Souness contract up which as it runs out in the summer cant be that much. Just a guess but 1/2 a mill? 1 mill? Not that much in the greater scheme of things

63330[/snapback]

Not quite strictly true this. We have already accounted for £2,369,000 in the latest accounts for Robson's payoff so it has been completely written off so nothing to prevent a payout to Souness and crew.

The Agm on Dec 14th could be very interesting.

63330[/snapback]

Not quite strictly true this. We have already accounted for £2,369,000 in the latest accounts for Robson's payoff so it has been completely written off so nothing to prevent a payout to Souness and crew.

63522[/snapback]

I was under the impression we still hadn't 'settled' with SBR though - fuck knows what the settlement actually was!

63330[/snapback]

63522[/snapback]

I was under the impression we still hadn't 'settled' with SBR though - fuck knows what the settlement actually was!

63526[/snapback]

Tried to have a word with him today at his book signing in Darlington but the queue was huge and Waterstones staff were desperately trying to get evryone through in the allotted hour. I wasn't even buying his book :unsure: as I have the previous version and wasn't going to pay extra for the additional chapter, read that in Tesco ;):(

63330[/snapback]

63522[/snapback]

63526[/snapback]

Tried to have a word with him today at his book signing in Darlington but the queue was huge and Waterstones staff were desperately trying to get evryone through in the allotted hour. I wasn't even buying his book :unsure: as I have the previous version and wasn't going to pay extra for the additional chapter, read that in Tesco ;):(

63533[/snapback]

He was in Darlo? fook, whish I'd know that.