Wayne Rooney declares his intention to walk out on Manchester United

khay

;)

People can bang on about the transfer system being a false economy, and how it should be bought into line to follow the EU-Line [accepted employment law affecting freedom of movement], but it's exclusive. The transfer market [and the trading of employees, whose respective talents have been nurtured by their clubs] is hard currency for all clubs, and the lifeline for feeder clubs. As Holloway infers, the old system was 99.99% fair.

The case of Marc Bosman [his club behaving like pricks and not paying him, while still being the custodians of his registration papers] was an isolated one, and it certainly didn't warrant the transfer system [where player/agent power has become a disproportionate entity by itself] being turned on its head. The greatest irony being that the football landscape was forever & significantly changed by a player of limited ability.

..and the EU and its cosseted middle European dandruff ridden fat pink necked, flemish, dour Brusels types are thick and arrogant. Employment law as in France (the yardstick of civilisation apparently) means you can't fire a fucking secretary who's late three times a week without giving her 3 warnings and getting a letter from a beuracrat and 6 hearing, and 5 fake homely coffee chats and finally a letter from a wine addled judge.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on man, what was he on, 120k a week or something? A hissy fit later and he's meant to be on 230k. He didn't earn that, him and his agent made a power play and the club caved. There'll be plenty others following his example too.

I hope he breaks his fucking leg tbh.

Agreed. But I don't think he got that much more. Wenger's angle was that red nose making it public was a sign that they were prepared to let him go and were alerting the world etc...Since the England fiasco in the summer I have given up what little respect I had for him as a player who was once competitive and fresh.

200k a week when 500,000 are facing unemployment. Fucking sickening.

:lol:

Laughs aside he's bang on imo. The money earned in top level football is obscene given what they actually do (off and on the pitch).

Nobody's forcing anyone to pay Rooney that much, nor would not paying him that much suddenly end unemployment.

He's worked his arse off to be good enough, he's earned the right to be paid whatever he can get.

However, I don't disagree that the imbalance in society needs to be addressed. The minimum wage has to be WAY higher than what you'd get on benefits and those benefits should have to be earned by doing things for the community.

Or how about they put a community tax on footballers earning over a certain level where a % of their tax goes back into the local community. Its not about the money after all ;)

Dont get me wrong, if someone offered my £200k or £50k p/w Im bite their fucking hand off. Doesnt mean its not fucked up. I also agree that those getting benefit largely should do something for it, but thats another thread.

Come on man, what was he on, 120k a week or something? A hissy fit later and he's meant to be on 230k. He didn't earn that, him and his agent made a power play and the club caved. There'll be plenty others following his example too.

I think it's horrible and I think I saw on the Daily Mail front page yesterday 'A Victory for Greed'. Not usual for me to be in full agreement with them but that sums it up perfectly.

I don't like it but you can't argue with supply and demand. He gets paid that much because they think he's worth the investment. He's just top of the food chain.

Even £10k a week is obscene if you're relating it to what a pensioner gets.

I think it's horrible and I think I saw on the Daily Mail front page yesterday 'A Victory for Greed'. Not usual for me to be in full agreement with them but that sums it up perfectly.

I don't like it but you can't argue with supply and demand. He gets paid that much because they think he's worth the investment. He's just top of the food chain.

It's more the fact he's basically been rewarded for spitting his dummy out by getting a huge increase. Not the first or last player to do it although the nature of it, with the press statements etc. and the profile of the player made it out of the ordinary and it does somehow seem worse when so many people are being told they don't have a job any more. The game never seemed further away from its supposed core support.

It's more the fact he's basically been rewarded for spitting his dummy out by getting a huge increase. Not the first or last player to do it although the nature of it, with the press statements etc. and the profile of the player made it out of the ordinary and it does somehow seem worse when so many people are being told they don't have a job any more. The game never seemed further away from its supposed core support.

The new rules regarding debt and turnover should help, but not sure how they will be applied. What's going on at Man C and what happened at Chelsea a couple of years ago have warped the game and nobody has benifited apart from the greedy players and agents.

I agree but you and I both know that's how it works sometimes. Being a c*nt seems to be something of an advantage when it comes to making money.

I think the inequality in income makes people at the top end just as miserable as those at the bottom FWIW but I also don't see it changing any time soon.

I like the community tax idea. I'd say 5% goes into the local community once a player is earning over 25k a week or summink.

Then sit back and watch a mass exodus of the best players to Spain and Italy.

I like the community tax idea. I'd say 5% goes into the local community once a player is earning over 25k a week or summink.

Italian clubs are mostly bankcrupt and most spanish clubs are poor bar 3/4.

So you reckon it won't see a weakening of the PL's ability to attract the best talent? Or clubs like Man City increasing players' wages to cover the tax?

Not sure about he wider implications as I haven't thought it through, but as a gesture it would be excellent. Pretty sure most players on 70k wouldn't mind 5% going to local football or summink. But maybe I'm a dreamer... ;)

So you reckon it won't see a weakening of the PL's ability to attract the best talent? Or clubs like Man City increasing players' wages to cover the tax?

Let them. Id make it 10% personally but as now Rooney gets (supposedly) 200K p/w and the local community gets zero. By what you say they would up his salary to allow for the tax, he would get say 220k with 22k of that going into the community each week. The only one that loses out there is the club. So be it Id say.

In the overall scheme of things how much does that really matter?

Plenty on here will remember the days before we did attract the best players. All that mattered was if your team was winning and where they were in the league. Has it changed that much now? If the same status quo remained the same without some of these top players would fans desert the game. Is it not still relative, does having the top stars matter that much?

It would probably help Ingerlund (and Scotland etc) and a lot of the smaller clubs who got by developing players for the top clubs.

If it brought back some sensibility, lower wages and ticket prices the average working man can really afford then I'd be all for it. Germany doesn't seem to be doing to bad on it.

Plenty on here will remember the days before we did attract the best players. All that mattered was if your team was winning and where they were in the league. Has it changed that much now? If the same status quo remained the same without some of these top players would fans desert the game. Is it not still relative, does having the top stars matter that much?

It would probably help Ingerlund (and Scotland etc) and a lot of the smaller clubs who got by developing players for the top clubs.

If it brought back some sensibility, lower wages and ticket prices the average working man can really afford then I'd be all for it. Germany doesn't seem to be doing to bad on it.

exactly.

Le them go if they want to do.

The PFA can call the shots here actually, but don't hold your breath.

The Bundesliga as a whole is much healthier, with smaller sides (some run on a shoestring compared to the PL) in the top half of the table.

;)

People can bang on about the transfer system being a false economy, and how it should be bought into line to follow the EU-Line [accepted employment law affecting freedom of movement], but it's exclusive. The transfer market [and the trading of employees, whose respective talents have been nurtured by their clubs] is hard currency for all clubs, and the lifeline for feeder clubs. As Holloway infers, the old system was 99.99% fair.

The case of Marc Bosman [his club behaving like pricks and not paying him, while still being the custodians of his registration papers] was an isolated one, and it certainly didn't warrant the transfer system [where player/agent power has become a disproportionate entity by itself] being turned on its head. The greatest irony being that the football landscape was forever & significantly changed by a player of limited ability.

..and the EU and its cosseted middle European dandruff ridden fat pink necked, flemish, dour Brusels types are thick and arrogant. Employment law as in France (the yardstick of civilisation apparently) means you can't fire a fucking secretary who's late three times a week without giving her 3 warnings and getting a letter from a beuracrat and 6 hearing, and 5 fake homely coffee chats and finally a letter from a wine addled judge.

Mario Monti: is he still a sitting member of the EU.

He was the bloke [in charge of competition a few years back] making the most noises, questioning the legality of the transfer system. The EU are on constant alert for an appropriate test case, to rip up the system in court. Their shown yellow card is trigger fire ready. It's why ugly club vs player disputes [concerning player movement] should raise concerns for clubs and supporters alike, when blokes like Ben Arfa play the 'footballers are slaves' card.

I think the inequality in income makes people at the top end just as miserable as those at the bottom FWIW but I also don't see it changing any time soon.

You what? ;)

SO, if I have got this right, an avaerage nurse will have to work TEN YEARS now to make as much money as Rooney does in ONE WEEK, regardless of the latter's form and contribution to his club.

That is so fucked up it is unreal. I personally find it increasingly difficult to hold anything but contempt for the football industry and a society that can let this happen.

It was Eastham v. Newcastle United [1964] Ch. 413 that did away with contract slavery in England

I agree with Year Zero - the Eu have had football in their sights for a long time and they could just bust the whole thing open with the right case

Good point, well made. Fuck 'em ;)

I see what you're saying but while we may see lower wages for players, we, as fans, wouldn't feel the knock on effects. Ticket prices would remain the same and we'd still pay the same amount for our Sky/ESPN. Ultimately we'd be paying the same price for lesser quality football, if anything, a fall in revenue from PL / overseas TV could see us paying more for a lesser product.

Either way, we don't win.

Edited by ewerk

You what? ;)

SO, if I have got this right, an avaerage nurse will have to work TEN YEARS now to make as much money as Rooney does in ONE WEEK, regardless of the latter's form and contribution to his club.

That is so fucked up it is unreal. I personally find it increasingly difficult to hold anything but contempt for the football industry and a society that can let this happen.

What's hard to understand there?

a: It's easier to become a professional nurse than a professional footballer

b: The ability to be miserable doesn't disappear when you get money

c: I don't make the rules but that's how it is, I never said I liked it