Thoughts on James Perch

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Onuoha [Hughton's alleged 1st choice RB target] has looked solid so far. It's a shame the player in question lay well beyond Ashley's spending parameters, and taking into account Perch's last two outings at home we'd be sitting comfortably within the top half the table.

Simpson's shit as well iyam. Steven Taylor is comfortably the best RB at the club.

He's miles ahead of the fish though.

I'm basing it on Simpson not being particularly impressive in the Championship. It's guesswork but I'd say him and Perch are much of a muchness.

there's always a tough break-in period... Enrique wasn't half the player he is today till he got going in the championship...

I disagree, he always looked quality if a bit too inclined to play football too much in dangerous circumstances. Which is what I'd say he does now in this division. He's different class in terms of ability (as a 'footballer' and as a defender) compared to Simpson or Perch.

there's always a tough break-in period... Enrique wasn't half the player he is today till he got going in the championship...

I disagree, he always looked quality if a bit too inclined to play football too much in dangerous circumstances. Which is what I'd say he does now in this division. He's different class in terms of ability (as a 'footballer' and as a defender) compared to Simpson or Perch.

Totally agree. Enrique became a scapegoat in the press because he's foreign (remember Mascherano and TEvez getting slated at West Ham? Really terrible players like), he's definately improved all round since that period but he evidently had some quality.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Totally agree. Enrique became a scapegoat in the press because he's foreign (remember Mascherano and TEvez getting slated at West Ham? Really terrible players like), he's definately improved all round since that period but he evidently had some quality.

Allardyce the total cunt, destoyed Enrique's confidence the first season, but he got much better in the second.

As for Perch though and I feel bad saying gthis if you're reading James, I've seen nothing to suggest he'll ever be better than a liability, I'd even either send him out on loan, or give him a free if he doesn't want his contract wages paid up. He's so small physically as well look at his shoulders and chest from the side, then look at Enrique or Evra or say even Micah Richards.

Bless him though. He obviously knows that he's out of his depth and not ready for this level. I mean, I know when I've been shite playing five-a-side, never mind in the Premier League. Like Stevie says, there's nothing in him where you think he could one day develop into a decent RB. When Carroll first came through, you at least seen that he had all the attributes to be a good striker whereas Perch doesn't have that about him. Mental signing really.

I think it was a case of Allardyce didn't play him (also heard he didn't sign him which would explain that in part) therefore elements of the press had him down as a 'foreign flop'.

Btw people would be slaughtering Perch if that had been him putting in that performance instead of Simpson. All their dangerous play came down their left / our right.

Btw people would be slaughtering Perch if that had been him putting in that performance instead of Simpson. All their dangerous play came down their left / our right.

Simpson probably getting some slack since Barton was on the wing. But I'd agree I'm still willing to give Perch some time. But I'm still sure Simpson is our best natural right back. I don't think S Taylor has the legs for it.

Blatantly and given how shite West Ham were overall i saw very little to suggest Simpson is a lot better. He had a more comfortable game than Perch against Stoke, Wigan or Man U and the Wolves game i suppose. However, i'm sure that Perch was just as solid as Simpson for the Everton, Villa, City games. I missed any coverage of Blackpool.

For Nani, N'zogbia and the aerial attack of stoke, how would Simpson have coped? Going off last season, shite i would say, was often the weakest link on the pitch. I tried to defend Perch a bit after the Wigan game as i felt the easy-minded scapegoatism required after every macth was assigning our inability to take 3 points on our 'shitest right back in the world'.

I'll put money on Simpson being raped in an upcoming game and Perch being back in the side. Its the lack of options that makes me concerned that some very poor performances are being translated into hate from the fans (the debate on this forum contributes to the broad dialogue around the player) and him never having the confidence to ever perform for us.

I can understand fans getting on the backs of players who are big time Charlies, in the press spouting off about the club and coming in on big wages then performing like a twat. This lad has come in on low wages, low cost, said nowt, looked nervous, made mistakes. So am finding it hard to hate him and not at all convinced by Simpson, especially after the first half. Second half didnt tell us much tbh.

I'd have S. Taylor in the position as soon as possible but fuck knows when that will be.

p.s. i know some prick like oztoonfan will see this as me seeing Perch as a good footballer, rather than a relative assessment of our options.

One of his first games since injury though, so he's given some leeway i guess, where as perch is god awful every week.

I take that on board, Ant. It was more me saying Perch would've got dog's abuse rather than me having a pop at Simpson. One thing I noticed about Simpson though, which I noticed last season too, which'll be a problem: he doesn't want the ball when we have it. Because he doesn't have the ability and he knows it.

I agree with you too, Chez.