Thoughts on James Perch

Anorthernsoul

Btw people would be slaughtering Perch if that had been him putting in that performance instead of Simpson. All their dangerous play came down their left / our right.

One of his first games since injury though, so he's given some leeway i guess, where as perch is god awful every week.

I take that on board, Ant. It was more me saying Perch would've got dog's abuse rather than me having a pop at Simpson. One thing I noticed about Simpson though, which I noticed last season too, which'll be a problem: he doesn't want the ball when we have it. Because he doesn't have the ability and he knows it.

I agree with you too, Chez.

Still think Simpson is an upgrade on Perch even though Simpson is poor at times - Steve Taylor would be my choice even though he is maybe a bit too heavy to play RB at full tilt for 90mins.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw people would be slaughtering Perch if that had been him putting in that performance instead of Simpson. All their dangerous play came down their left / our right.

One of his first games since injury though, so he's given some leeway i guess, where as perch is god awful every week.

I take that on board, Ant. It was more me saying Perch would've got dog's abuse rather than me having a pop at Simpson. One thing I noticed about Simpson though, which I noticed last season too, which'll be a problem: he doesn't want the ball when we have it. Because he doesn't have the ability and he knows it.

I was abusing Simpson a little ;) His positioning was definitely better than Perch though. Simpson was at least there to be beaten by Obina for pace, unlike Perch who would have been jogging back after a failed forray forwards. Positionally he's better than Perch, as an attacking threat he's better than Perch as he has a decent cross, but defensively he's not very good. Hesitant when defending a player with the ball on the deck in front of them. He gives them enough space to get a shot off or slip an easy pass, plus he falls for just about ever feint overcommitting himself in an effort get a last gasp block.

Truth be told though he was better than Perch and that's with only 3 reserves games (not full) under his belt. Perch conversely seemed to be getting more and more exposed as each week went by, despite playing in a fixed defensive unit.

ChezGiven noone here personally dislikes James Perch so far as I can tell, but we all appreciate that based on what he's shown he just flat out isn't good enough. No amount of good will from the supporters is going to change that. If you want to talk options then Ryan Taylor is a better footballer than Perch, so with neither of them having much to offer defensively it was frustrating to see Perch appear time and time again, pushing far up the pitch time and time again. With Danny Simpson back we should hopefully have someone who is a little better defensively than Perch. I'll give the same sort of assessments of his performances as I do with any player on the pitch.

Never said he was good enough. There you go again with the imaginary dialogue. I also think Ryan Taylor is poor, should have been a kicker in American football. Doesnt make up for his lack of pace, strength on the ball or bottle. Great striker of the ball though, he'll more than likely start on weds. We'll see how Simpson takes to the derby.

R Taylor, Simpson, Perch. Plus no back up for Jose. As usual we've economised on the full backs and there's not much chance of anybody new coming in till next season imo. Isn't there somebody in the reserves who could take a step up?

R Taylor, Simpson, Perch. Plus no back up for Jose. As usual we've economised on the full backs and there's not much chance of anybody new coming in till next season imo. Isn't there somebody in the reserves who could take a step up?

Ferguson has done quite well in the first to league cup games and seems like he's got potential as a decent LB.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/page/Teams/PlayerPro...8~49435,00.html

We still need a right back.

agree, though i think simpson should be first choice there for now. perch has looked shaky all season. simpson did a decent enough job last year. he's got a bit of pace too. i think he has more potential of the two. whether he can cut it at this level remains to be seen but he deserves a crack at it.

Never said he was good enough. There you go again with the imaginary dialogue. I also think Ryan Taylor is poor, should have been a kicker in American football. Doesnt make up for his lack of pace, strength on the ball or bottle. Great striker of the ball though, he'll more than likely start on weds. We'll see how Simpson takes to the derby.

I didn't say that you said he was good enough. What exactly is your point? Everyone including you thinks Perch isn't good enough. That's all that needs to be said.

Still think Simpson is an upgrade on Perch even though Simpson is poor at times - Steve Taylor would be my choice even though he is maybe a bit too heavy to play RB at full tilt for 90mins.

Yeah, I think I agree. Simpson is probably better in a positional sense, as OzToonFan was saying. I'd play S. Taylor there though as I think he's the best we've got there and it's probably his best position. I don't think he's the ideal solution but that's another matter (we're hardly spoilt for choice there either).

Am sure I read somewhere that Beardsley was pleasantly suprised on how much better Simpson is looking from last season. Give the lad a chance like, he's just back from injury and goes straight into the side. Perch unfortunately doesn't look good enough. Only time will tell though. They are still both two young players who could certainly turn round and suprise us. Wouldn't it be an idea to look at trying to convert Kadar to CB/RB instead of CB/LB? Because I really want him to get games.

Kadar's left-footed and looks the part sweeping anyway so I don't see the point in that. Agree about Simpson only just coming back from injury though (but I wasn't having a dig at him anyway).

Kadar reminds me a little of Coloccini, likes to be on the ball quite a lot for a defender. I'd say he'd be a little quicker than Coloccini and is a little taller as well. As for his defense we'll need to see him play more against quality opposition. He's an option at left back in a pinch but couldn't see him being too comfortable on the right.

Interesting (in the loosest sense of the word) to look at the guardian chalkboards and compare the two players over the last 2 games.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/create

Passes

Simpson 33/44 - 75%

Perch 26/30 - 87%

Interceptions

Simpson - 1

Perch - 2

Tackles

Simpson - 3/5 - 60%

Perch 2/2 - 100%

Clearances

Simpson 3/3 - 100%

Perch 0/1 - 0%

Blocks

Simpson 1

Perch 0

Perch isn't any worse at tackling, intercepting or passing....he just goes completely missing and doesn't attempt as many to start with. Saying that, I think Wigan were a far better team than West Ham and Simpson wasn't abandoned like Perch was by Guthrie.....

Edited by Happy Face