Hughton given vote of confidence

Mac-Toon

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't we in the process of offering a contract to a prospective assistant manager? If we're undertaking that process AND the club genuinely have the confidence in Chris Hughton that they're claiming, surely it makes more sense to have the pair of them commit to a new contract at the same time?

Stinks to high heaven IYAM. And we'll be blamed when CH is (wrongly) shown the door.

But then, if they give him a big bucks 4 year contract while we're 9th and we're bottom in January and he needs sacking, people would say they were daft offering him a contract when he hadn't proven himself in the top flight.

Seems about the right time to look at it iyam.

Aren't we in the process of offering a contract to a prospective assistant manager? If we're undertaking that process AND the club genuinely have the confidence in Chris Hughton that they're claiming, surely it makes more sense to have the pair of them commit to a new contract at the same time?

Stinks to high heaven IYAM. And we'll be blamed when CH is (wrongly) shown the door.

Like I've said - CH is perfect for Ashleys regime. Cheap, new to management, at a massive club and knows he'll stand in line and do as he's told. He's been a true pro in all the time he's been at Newcastle, whilst everyone around him has shown themselves to be mere mercenaries looking for a quick buck out of NUFC.

Steadying the rocking shop over the past two years - I'll be forever grateful to him for that. He's not a tactical genius by a long shot, but on the surface he's obviously a massive motivator and spirit builder. Something that's massively important with the standard of player we have.

What's Hughton on? I've heard it's a derisory sum. His stock is probably high enough now he might decide to move on.

When he was made permanent manager, I seem to recall the sum of 200 000–250 000 a year was thrown around.

Seemed like quite a supportive piece from Hughton's perspective. The opening sentence is a bit double-edged but it praises his signings, argues for his improved remuneration and concludes favourably.

...'rumours persist', nowt to do with her publishing an article of course. I agree there is a lack of her usual vitriol though, but still wanted an excuse for an ad hominem attack on her ugly mug.

Seemed like quite a supportive piece from Hughton's perspective. The opening sentence is a bit double-edged but it praises his signings, argues for his improved remuneration and concludes favourably.

...'rumours persist', nowt to do with her publishing an article of course. I agree there is a lack of her usual vitriol though, but still wanted an excuse for an ad hominem attack on her ugly mug.

Her knives are still out for the club and she is doing him no real favours by furthering the talk about pressure on him.

These forums make it so so easy for a journalist to undermine a football manager.

All a journo has to do is drop a rumour on a couple of forums and the fans whip themselves into a frenzy discussing it until they reach the point that everyone either believes he wants to leave, or the club think he wants to leave, or the club thinks the fans want him to leave as they have turned against him, because they believe he wants to leave, so the club then sacks him to save face.

It's unbelievable that fans should give even the slightest bit of credence to this ridiculous rumour that the club want to sack Hughton after what he has achieved in only one season.

His remit is to keep the club in the EPL on little or no money this season.

If he achieves that and I beleive he will, I truly believe the purse strings will be loosened next season and he can start bringing in the type of players that will build a strong competitive EPL squad capable of challenging for europe.

Experience doesn't guarantee you success though. Ron Atkinson is experienced.

My point was that in the job market people with most experience are generally more valued.

Hughton is the least experienced manager in the league I think - how long was Di Matteo at MK Dons?

He's still on his first contract as a manager....I'm sure his next contract will improve.

My point was that in the job market people with most experience are generally more valued.

Hughton is the least experienced manager in the league I think - how long was Di Matteo at MK Dons?

He's still on his first contract as a manager....I'm sure his next contract will improve.

If he gets one.

Might get free suits with his next one.

Might get free suits with his next one.

Free tracksuits, aye.

The Guardian podcast reckon he is the lowest paid manager in the league (even behind Holloway).

Makes a packet from pimping out his bee-atches on the side.

Personally think this is a nothing rumour, and utterly unsurprised at the dignified way CH has dealt with it.

Time to give him a new contract I'd say. We've had some good performances, the vaunted "team spirit" is definitely there I'd say, got in some good players (and dropped a clanger in Perch but nobody can get every one right) and I think he's the man to keep us in the PL and to build on this for next season. And if we do go down, I think he'd be the best candidate to lead us back up and have another go at it in 2 years time.

He's definitely made questionable decisions both in tactics and team selection and I don't think he's the second coming of Joe Harvey, but I think we could do with a bit of stability at the club and giving him a new long-term contract will show the club is prepared to back him and build on what he's accomplished. Ashley probably thinks the threat of possibly losing his job at the end of the season is a "motivator" for Hughton, as are the rumours of Jol, Pardew, Kinnear ffs but he's done enough now that he can walk away from SJP at the end of the season and get another job easily, and then we'd be back to square one.

So I think we should give him a 3 year contract immediately. Get on that, Mike.

He does drop the odd clanger with regards to tactics and subs but he's only really starting out as a manager to be fair and he is doing well (especially when you consider the low level of backing he gets). We should just stick with him and see where he can take us tbh and like has been said he has created a real team spirit that we've not seen in a long long time and it definately shows, like watching Man city the other day and seeing adebayor and Kompany kicking off with each other I was reminded of when we were like that.

To be fair to us even though we've all had a go at chris in the past it's all the medias doing all this supposed pressure that's on him (coupled with ashley's low amount of communication)