Shepherd Takeover Rumour?

henda11

Freddy Shepherd wants to buy back Newcastle United in one of football's most surprising takeover comebacks and ESPNsoccernet can reveal that a bid is imminent.

Shepherd, who sold the Magpies to current owner Mike Ashley in June 2007, is ready to make an offer that would rid the club of its £90 million debt, to help comply with UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulations and enable the club to move forward.

Ashley has made no secret of his desire to sell Newcastle, virtually from the moment he bought the club from Shepherd and Sir John Hall, and slapped a £100 million asking price on the Magpies as they languished in the Championship last season. But since the club returned to the Premier League, there has been little to no takeover talk.

A close friend of Shepherd's confirmed to ESPNsoccernet: "I know Freddy is giving very serious consideration to making an offer and returning to St James' Park."

Shepherd, who is currently on Tyneside, is not denying that he is leading a takeover of his beloved Newcastle United and would only say: "I am not prepared to comment on this."

And ESPNsoccernet has established through City sources, having just broken the story of the Liverpool takeover, that the foundations for a bid to buy Newcastle have already been put in place.

Shepherd, who endured his fair share of controversy during his time as chairman at St James' Park, might not have been the most popular owner in the past, but the fans would welcome the exit of Ashley given the club's recent plight.

The confusion as to why Chris Hughton has not been offered a new contract might be related to the potential sale of Newcastle and ESPNsoccernet understands the former full-back, who guided Newcastle back to the top flight, would be given a chance should Shepherd regain control of Newcastle.

Anything to get rid of Ashley. At least Shepherd showed a little bit of ambition in the transfer market, although the amount he paid for wages fucked us up.

Harry Harris is one of the reasons I've stopped going to Soccernet. The man just pulls stories out of his ass, washes them off and claims it to be a bonafide truth. However, I can see Shepherd trying to pull this off.

Harry Harris is one of the reasons I've stopped going to Soccernet. The man just pulls stories out of his ass, washes them off and claims it to be a bonafide truth. However, I can see Shepherd trying to pull this off.

"arse"

:angry:

"arse"

:angry:

Showing my North American-ness right there :lol:

Club have made a statement according to Caulkin.

There has been unfounded speculation today that FS intends to put a consortium together in a bid to buy NUFC from it's owner, MA. Club can confirm that it has not received any contact from FS expressing an interest in buying the club, nor is the club for sale."

Club have made a statement according to Caulkin.

There has been unfounded speculation today that FS intends to put a consortium together in a bid to buy NUFC from it's owner, MA. Club can confirm that it has not received any contact from FS expressing an interest in buying the club, nor is the club for sale."

But the club aren't making any more statements...