How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

Bugs me seeing people sitting doing fuck all, messing with their phone and doing the odd rep at a weight of fuck all. Not even breaking a sweat. Same people that will complain about not seeing results and give up.

150kg bench is impressive. My pb is 80kg plus the weight of the power bar - 20kg I think,

All newbies should listen to Lbt and jawd - they speak sense.

I try and fit all my compound lifting sessions into 40 minutes. Going from set to set with next to no break is key. Keeps the heart rate up and gets the afterburn effect going - so you're burning calories for hours after you finish training. Compounds make sense because they're efficient. Who's got time to spend two hours doing isolation excercises? Not me, I train on my lunch break. 6 excercises, shower and back at the desk in an hour.

100 kg is very respectable gloomy, just add 2.5 kiloes each time you will be at 110-115 in notime

Well, If I am doing heavy squat sets I cant do 30 second breaks :lol: Sometimes when you work hard you need 2-4 minutes off - but thats if you are doing HEAVY sets.

First weeks when doing light to moderate sets 30 secs is more than enough.

theres more of the lads who wander around and look like they're carrying a tv under each arm but never seem to do anything than anything tbh.

that gym i goto just furbished and opened up a new section on the ground floor, so they moved all the free weights and a load of the machines downstairs to it as there was complaints about lads like that idling about watching the classes all the time or sitting on a bench while someone was on the treadmills/stepmachines in front of them.

:lol: Guilty as charged :lol:

Last week this HOT canadian girl were doing deadlifts and I was stood adjacent to her watching her...uhm entire body. Suddenly she turned 90 degrees and giving me the "see something you like?" stare.

I was like " uhm just checking ur technique out! Pull your shoulders further back ! ( meaning tits further out :) )

i do compounds too. my workouts are built around the classic 6 compound lifts - deadlifts, pullups, squats, bench, shoulder press and rows.

that said, i like throwing in isolation arm and ab excercises into the mix, as well as chest and shoulder flys. and i usually do at least one session a week of kettlebell training. have you tried it? it's a killer and great for endurance/cardio.

but if you're not doing those 6 big compounds, at least two or three times a week, then you aint training

The body does NOT start burning muscles after 11 hours, if it did we would all look like fucking auschwitcz prisoners - try 35-40 hours...

Haway then big shite, how much you bench J69 :lol:? Im up for a duel anyday! A fucking nurse outbenching me...does not compute.

5x5 is by far the best program for those who have only played around in the gym before. It builds real muscle and strength.

Ant, Compound exercises are the big ones, Squat Deadlift bench military press pullups etc. Activises BIG groups of muscle.

Dont worry about how heavy it is, start light(ish) so you can maintain good form. Every time you train, you add 1.25lbs on each side on each exercise on everything.

First weeks and months are easy, then it gets harder. After a while you are NOT looking forward to the gym, but its what works.

If anyone of you really wants to puke, google a program called Smolov.

Do this program and you may as well eat pancakes drowning in demba syrup every day, the fat will still rince off you.

If you survive, I cant be arsed. Looks gruelling.

I need to get back into the gym. Had a few months of not really doing anything whilst I've been studying for my (hopefully) last exam, and with work being really busy as well I've just been lazy with it. I used to do a bit of a run, then bicep curls, bench, squat, chin/dips (assisted thingy cos I'm weak) and some shoulder stuff. 5x5, would go up small increments every now and then when I could manage it, but didn't realise you are meant to add weight each week. That sounds fucking hard. What do you do when you reach a level where you can't maintain form? Wasn't doing anything particularly heavy cos I've never been particularly strong and I could never seem to be able to do things properly at any decent weight.

Do you reckon the gaps make that much of a difference? Not something I'd considered before.

Also, those bits in bold above, can you guys tell me what they are/provide a link to do them? My gym only has dumbells, no bars or whatever (only a small gym, but its nice, reasonably cheap and has a pool and a climbing wall so I like it). Assume can still do pretty much most things with those? Although never done deadlifts, as not sure how to do them properly if I don't have a bar to keep everything straight??

Edited by Bonamental

Heya Bonamental grats on finishing your education mate. Well done that. on 5x5 when you hit a plateau you try that weight three sessions in a row. If you still cant complete it, deload 10% and progress again.

And eat even more ;) Everyone can get stronger. You HAVE to increase weights each week, if you go around lifting the same weights every week you might even lose muscle actually. progression is the key.

Millitary press is overhead press. You lift a bar over your head from the front of your chest. Think lifting something over your head from a standing position.

You can do it with barbells but its not as good and increases injury risk tbh. Deadlift just pull your shoulders back look up and lift with your ass with a straight back. look on youtube and have a spotter, its not that dangerous if you get the basics right. Im self taught.

Re your gym. Im not gonna sugarcoat it, IMO a gym that doesnt have a squat rack and bars is useless. You can get a decent workout with barbells but Id find a gym with bars and a rack. Baffling that it doesnt have it.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

YouTube prob better for visual of movement. Exrx better for understanding how it all works, what routine works what etc. it's also good as you can pick any muscle and it will give a range of exercises for it

150kg bench is impressive. My pb is 80kg plus the weight of the power bar - 20kg I think,

All newbies should listen to Lbt and jawd - they speak sense.

I try and fit all my compound lifting sessions into 40 minutes. Going from set to set with next to no break is key. Keeps the heart rate up and gets the afterburn effect going - so you're burning calories for hours after you finish training. Compounds make sense because they're efficient. Who's got time to spend two hours doing isolation excercises? Not me, I train on my lunch break. 6 excercises, shower and back at the desk in an hour.

100kg is a canny bench. Anyone who has tried lifting that and has seen a picture of slim lad ower there probably knows hes a bit of a jackanory lifting 155kg.

FOP anyone? :lol:

My best bench is 2 reps at 140kg so all this talk of 150 - 155kg is canny impressive. Can't see why anyone would bother bullshitting about the amount they can lift tbh.

I give it 3 days before topless photos of people start appearing in this thread :lol:

You must be fucking 7foot tall to weigh 215lbs with that build!

Im stockier than you at 6foot and I weigh 190lbs

x3MzR.jpg

Couldn't you hold out for the full 3 days?

100 kg is very respectable gloomy, just add 2.5 kiloes each time you will be at 110-115 in notime

Well, If I am doing heavy squat sets I cant do 30 second breaks :lol: Sometimes when you work hard you need 2-4 minutes off - but thats if you are doing HEAVY sets.

First weeks when doing light to moderate sets 30 secs is more than enough.

I know you you mean. I find getting air into the lungs is the hardest thing about lifting as heavy as you possibly can. My breathing isn't the best (too many years spent smoking) but sometimes you isn't have to sit down and take 2 seeing spots.

I need to get back into the gym. Had a few months of not really doing anything whilst I've been studying for my (hopefully) last exam, and with work being really busy as well I've just been lazy with it. I used to do a bit of a run, then bicep curls, bench, squat, chin/dips (assisted thingy cos I'm weak) and some shoulder stuff. 5x5, would go up small increments every now and then when I could manage it, but didn't realise you are meant to add weight each week. That sounds fucking hard. What do you do when you reach a level where you can't maintain form? Wasn't doing anything particularly heavy cos I've never been particularly strong and I could never seem to be able to do things properly at any decent weight.

Do you reckon the gaps make that much of a difference? Not something I'd considered before.

Also, those bits in bold above, can you guys tell me what they are/provide a link to do them? My gym only has dumbells, no bars or whatever (only a small gym, but its nice, reasonably cheap and has a pool and a climbing wall so I like it). Assume can still do pretty much most things with those? Although never done deadlifts, as not sure how to do them properly if I don't have a bar to keep everything straight??

Kettle bells are just a different form of weight training, again using compound excercises bit also incorporating the swing, which is great for core, glutes and legs. You can use them to perform standard lifts like deadlifts and squats as well as other dynamic moves like clean and jerk and snatch. They originate from Russia, I think, and are a bit like dumbells I suppose except they have horns and a handle and can be used for a greater variety of training.

One of the key things I've found that helps with gains, after eating well and lifting heavy, is mixing up the workout. Keeping the body guessing and frequently switching up the workout. Don't get stuck doing the same routine every week. Those excerices will soon become favourites when you master the and are no longer really challenging yourself.