How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

46 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

You don’t even need to join a gym. Get a set of dumbbells with plates you can take on and off so you can increase/decrease weight depending on the lift, a pull-up bar and a barbell and you can do it all from home. Your entire routine need only consist of 6 excercises: squat, deadlift bench, overhead press, row, pull up. That hits every muscle group in the body. 

Are these sort of things ok for covering all angles? Bear in mind I’m mainly interested in losing weight and generally improving my limited fitness.

BF550CC4-F28A-46F2-B471-53F2254B2DAC.jpeg

tbh, ct, given your goal is to lose fat, you'd be better off running and counting calories.

it's a simple equation: burn off more than you consume. run a deficit of about 250-500 calories per day - there are loads of easy examples online showing you how to work out what you need to maintain, gain, or cut based on your age, weight, height etc. if you can't be arsed with all that, just reduce your portion sizes and restrict the booze to a moderate amount at the weekend, make smart food choices, which have been covered to death in this thread, and get off your arse and do some exercise. 

I'm moving to a rented flat near a couple of chippies, Indians, and a Chinese for 6 to 12 months. Tiny kitchen so cooking healthy will be hard and zero time anyway. Oh, and almost no walk to the metro. Am a bit worried. 

Given up drinking at home and chocolate though. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm moving to a rented flat near a couple of chippies, Indians, and a Chinese for 6 to 12 months. Tiny kitchen so cooking healthy will be hard and zero time anyway. Oh, and almost no walk to the metro. Am a bit worried. 

Given up drinking at home and chocolate though. 

Keep an eye on E-Bay for fitness equipment appearing over the next couple of months

51 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

tbh, ct, given your goal is to lose fat, you'd be better off running and counting calories.

it's a simple equation: burn off more than you consume. run a deficit of about 250-500 calories per day - there are loads of easy examples online showing you how to work out what you need to maintain, gain, or cut based on your age, weight, height etc. if you can't be arsed with all that, just reduce your portion sizes and restrict the booze to a moderate amount at the weekend, make smart food choices, which have been covered to death in this thread, and get off your arse and do some exercise. 

I was at the gym last night (induction) and the guy was pointing out all these various weight type machines that he said were just as good for burning fat as the cardio machines. I’m going back to see him to learn a bit more as they are quite overwhelming and I don’t want to be that guy on YouTube using machines the wrong way.

The arthritis in my knee and shoulder make running and some machines troublesome and I quite like the idea of some kit at home that I can use when I can’t make the gym.  (I start early and have kids clubs etc).

Ive read that gently building the muscles around the joints can help with arthritic pain.

Even after a few days I’m finding the calorie counting very informative.

Not being funny like but you were talking about using MyFitnessPal five years ago so the calorie stuff can't be entirely new to you? Hope it sticks this time though.

I know I keep banging the drum but if your knee holds up then get yourself along to the parkrun at South Shields some time - there's plenty of people who walk or walk/jog it (the last few weeks' results have several people doing it in an hour or more) and a bit of community is good for motivation and variety rather than being stuck in the gym all the time.

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

I was at the gym last night (induction) and the guy was pointing out all these various weight type machines that he said were just as good for burning fat as the cardio machines. I’m going back to see him to learn a bit more as they are quite overwhelming and I don’t want to be that guy on YouTube using machines the wrong way.

The arthritis in my knee and shoulder make running and some machines troublesome and I quite like the idea of some kit at home that I can use when I can’t make the gym.  (I start early and have kids clubs etc).

Ive read that gently building the muscles around the joints can help with arthritic pain.

Even after a few days I’m finding the calorie counting very informative.

you won't burn fat without a calorie deficit. there are many different ways to achieve that, no right way or wrong way as it's down to what you think you can stick with long term. looking at this thread, you're obviously still searching for that.

my advice: try some form of cardio you don't despise that you can do 4-5 times a week. if running is tough on your knees or whatever, try the bike, or the rowing machine, or the cross trainer. train for 30-40 minutes till your heart rate is up around 150/160bpm and you'll have burned about 500+ calories. if you're pushed for time, google HIIT, and do a twenty minute Youtube class at home. There are plenty out there.

combine that with a small daily calorie deficit, stick to it till christmas and report back here. with before and after pics :CT:

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

Not being funny like but you were talking about using MyFitnessPal five years ago so the calorie stuff can't be entirely new to you? Hope it sticks this time though.

I know I keep banging the drum but if your knee holds up then get yourself along to the parkrun at South Shields some time - there's plenty of people who walk or walk/jog it (the last few weeks' results have several people doing it in an hour or more) and a bit of community is good for motivation and variety rather than being stuck in the gym all the time.

I know it flies in the face of my reputation, but the majority of stuff I eat is fairly healthy and cooked from scratch. My downfall is a love for a bottle or two of wheat beer or leffe on an evening 3 or 4 nights a week and sitting all day long in a taxi.

I’ve basically piggy backed out lasses slimming world routine for 5 years which was very good for cooking from scratch but shit for sticking to portion sizes. This may well be another false dawn (particularly as I don’t like exercise), but given I’m hobbyless I’m hoping to buck the trend.

The running, if it does come, is definitely a while away. My knee can just go.

I’ve dallied with my fitness pal before but it seems much better now and the scan feature is quality.  It’s certainly making me consider what’s going on my plate. I even weighed out salad cream on my salad.

30 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

you won't burn fat without a calorie deficit. there are many different ways to achieve that, no right way or wrong way as it's down to what you think you can stick with long term. looking at this thread, you're obviously still searching for that.

my advice: try some form of cardio you don't despise that you can do 4-5 times a week. if running is tough on your knees or whatever, try the bike, or the rowing machine, or the cross trainer. train for 30-40 minutes till your heart rate is up around 150/160bpm and you'll have burned about 500+ calories. if you're pushed for time, google HIIT, and do a twenty minute Youtube class at home. There are plenty out there.

combine that with a small daily calorie deficit, stick to it till christmas and report back here. with before and after pics :CT:

:lol:

Im not sure what calorie deficit means. My fitness pal tells me to have no more than 1500 a day. That was based on no exercise.

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Make sure you're counting all of your calories properly as well. I see a lot of fatties fail because they just assume there'll be nowt in the sauce they're putting on their food or aren't counting the milk or sugar in their coffee and whatnot 

Obvs Im only 3 days in but yes I’m neurotic about doing it right at the minute.

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Oh and you'll need to supplement protein whilst in a deficit or you'll burn muscle as well as fat. You got plenty spare cash for all this stuff you're going to discard in 3 weeks time or still feeling the poverty pinch

Nah, I’m not getting too hung up on wasting muscle. If I lose a bit of weight and feel healthier by Mid October then I’ll re asses where Im at.