How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Miracle cure for insulin dependent diabetics? Really? This sounds like dangerous quackery to me. Is there any hard data on this or just the usual collection of anecdotes? I mean, if its this effective it should be easy to measure. 

Prediabetics definitely. I don't know about full-blown. 

Just now, Renton said:

Ahh, youtube, that well known repository of scientific facts. 

I mean there are actual doctors and scientists with YouTube channels. I deleted my post anyway cos it was meant to be in response to CT. So FUCK YOU FATTY. 

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Prediabetics definitely. I don't know about full-blown. 

I was quoting CT about people stopping insulin. People on insulin are full blown diabetics, normally type 1. They tend to die quite quickly if they stop taking it. 

There has been done good research on how diet changes can help type 2 diabetes and prediabetes. But I've not seen anything that suggests miraculous results. What I have seen over the years is many diets promoted as miracle interventions for weight loss and health. None last that long though, Atkins for instance. So I'll reserve my right to be skeptical.  

"High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings."

Seems like a pretty straightforward conclusion. Anyway look I'm not here to evangelise, I'm just planning on doing it to keep weight off cos the other way (calorie restriction on a standard high carb diet) is basically impossible. 

Fair enough,.just to point out that the research is observational so you can't really draw conclusions on causality. It's frustrating but diet research tends to be garbage. Agree about calorie counting too but I suspect a lot of your weight loss will actually be down to you de facto reducing your calorie count.

I need to lose weight like. Stopping beer at the weekend is too difficult at the moment, so I've decided to exercise more. I'm walking 5 miles a day including as many inclines as I can. I'm almost tempted to start running but getting showered and changed is a big issue. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

"High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings."

Seems like a pretty straightforward conclusion. Anyway look I'm not here to evangelise, I'm just planning on doing it to keep weight off cos the other way (calorie restriction on a standard high carb diet) is basically impossible. 

you can eat as many carbs as you like as long as you burn more calories than you consume. 

macros are important, depending on what your goals are. but portion control beats everything else, in my experience. particularly because its sustainable. fad diets rarely are in the long term. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

not disputing that keto/atkins is a good way to torch calories in a short period of time. i've just never been able to sustain it for more than a few weeks. i enjoy pizza, bread and beer too much

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

not disputing that keto/atkins is a good way to torch calories in a short period of time. i've just never been able to sustain it for more than a few weeks. i enjoy pizza, bread and beer too much

And you're a veggie aren't you? I see an issue here.....

I must admit I'm fucking gutted I'm not gonna be piling into my sourdough every week. And I had had plans for homemade sourdough pizza bases. But that is exactly why I'll be as fat as a fucking pig again in 6 months. 

There are keto ways of making pizza bases though so I'll give that a go. 

Renty babes if you want to shift weight in a hurry, this fast 800 thing really works and is way easier to do than it would appear. I'm doing it cos I know that otherwise I'm gonna be on miserable calorie restrictions until Christmas at the earliest. Or I can just do this and shift a stone and a half in 3 to 4 weeks. 

21 minutes ago, Renton said:

Fair enough,.just to point out that the research is observational so you can't really draw conclusions on causality. It's frustrating but diet research tends to be garbage. Agree about calorie counting too but I suspect a lot of your weight loss will actually be down to you de facto reducing your calorie count.

I need to lose weight like. Stopping beer at the weekend is too difficult at the moment, so I've decided to exercise more. I'm walking 5 miles a day including as many inclines as I can. I'm almost tempted to start running but getting showered and changed is a big issue. 

Forgot to say I bought a treadmill. I fucking love it. It came with an ifit subscription so I get some dude on the screen basically leading you a run through somewhere that's actually nice. The run that he's doing controls the treadmill, so incline and speed changes aitomatically based on the terrain. Shit like this:

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

And you're a veggie aren't you? I see an issue here.....

i'm veggie, yeah. so low carb/high protein is possible, but the endless eggs, avocados and protein shakes get boring very quickly. 

reducing portion size and booze, cutting junk food and increasing exercise beats any fad diet going, if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm veggie, yeah. so low carb/high protein is possible, but the endless eggs, avocados and protein shakes get boring very quickly. 

reducing portion size and booze, cutting junk food and increasing exercise beats any fad diet going, if you ask me.

So I’m only going wrong in three areas 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Everything in moderation - and occasionally in excess 

In an ideal world that would be ok but the vast majority of people don’t do macros, exercise or pay as close attention as you do to what they consume. 

We were basically told in the 70’s that real fat such as butter, cream etc was bad and instead the worlds populations were shifted on to high carb diets. Obesity grew out of control so they invented all these “low fat” products that are full of carbs and crammed with sugars. More obesity.

Then theres the problem of the “rush” carbs give you but a couple of hours later you feel hungry again.

Good fats are good. The medics of the 70’s got it wrong. They also leave you feeling fuller for longer which is why it’s so easy to fast. You can’t help but fast.

Ive tried all the diets that get you counting calories but they are miserable and therefore guaranteed yo-yo.

Keto or low carb should be prescribed by every doctor to every overweight patient (medical conditions allowing) and we would soon have a very healthy world and save trillions.

But what is the NHS’s great new plan to tackle obesity? Put people on soups and shakes for 6 months..... Madness.

Typically noted from people on Keto:

Weight goes, energy rises, mental clarity improves and cravings disappear..... All while suckling on squirty cream :lol:

you can maintain a calorie deficit through regular exercise, eating sensibly and basic portion control though. you don't have to count every calorie. 

i'm not convinced a diet loaded with animal fats is going to be good for you long term. 

i don't dispute that good fats are good, incidentally - avocados, olive oil, nuts, peanut butter etc are all great. a low fat diet is definitely not the way to go. 

i'm just not sure a diet that is super high in saturated fats, such as butter, cheese or fatty meats, is going to be that good for your cholesterol. 

ultimately, if you do enough exercise, you can more or less eat what you want and still look and feel good. but long term, i dunno. obesity is a killer - if keto keeps you in shape, maybe the potential cholesterol risk is worth it. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

58 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

In an ideal world that would be ok but the vast majority of people don’t do macros, exercise or pay as close attention as you do to what they consume. 

We were basically told in the 70’s that real fat such as butter, cream etc was bad and instead the worlds populations were shifted on to high carb diets. Obesity grew out of control so they invented all these “low fat” products that are full of carbs and crammed with sugars. More obesity.

Then theres the problem of the “rush” carbs give you but a couple of hours later you feel hungry again.

Good fats are good. The medics of the 70’s got it wrong. They also leave you feeling fuller for longer which is why it’s so easy to fast. You can’t help but fast.

Ive tried all the diets that get you counting calories but they are miserable and therefore guaranteed yo-yo.

Keto or low carb should be prescribed by every doctor to every overweight patient (medical conditions allowing) and we would soon have a very healthy world and save trillions.

But what is the NHS’s great new plan to tackle obesity? Put people on soups and shakes for 6 months..... Madness.

Typically noted from people on Keto:

Weight goes, energy rises, mental clarity improves and cravings disappear..... All while suckling on squirty cream :lol:

There's really good evidence from an RCT recently published that shakes can be used successfully for rapid weight loss, type 2 diabetes can go in remission, and this can be maintained with ongoing support. The NHS bases its recommendations on clinical evidence, not anecdotes, and this is the highest level of evidence there is.

But fine, you've watched a few videos on Facebook and YouTube and now you know more than professors in the field. Makes sense. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Renton said:

There's really good evidence from an RCT recently published that shakes can be used successfully for rapid weight loss, type 2 diabetes can go in remission, and this can be maintained with ongoing support. The NHS bases its recommendations on clinical evidence, not anecdotes, and this is the highest level of evidence there is.

But fine, you've watched a few videos on Facebook and YouTube and now you know more than professors in the field. Makes sense. 

Im sorry, but my days of long winded back on forths on here are over. Suffice to say a lot of “professors” are finding a lot of health benefits from a Keto diet. Even in Great Ormonde street it’s been prescribed for kids under 16 to help them manage their epilepsy medicine free.

Maybe give it a go and see for yourself :)