How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

5x5 training with incremental increase in weight combined with a calorie surplus is ideal for packing on muscle. all you really need is a programme of deadlift/squat/pullup/shoulder press/bench/row 

Had my first experience of fully failing a lift that I went for the other day :lol: just about managed to stop a dumbell smashing me in the chest from halfway up on a bench press.

Ask people to spot you if you're training to failure kids :razz:

On 26/02/2022 at 23:52, Andrew said:

Had my first experience of fully failing a lift that I went for the other day :lol: just about managed to stop a dumbell smashing me in the chest from halfway up on a bench press.

Ask people to spot you if you're training to failure kids :razz:

Or don't lift weights that are too heavy for you :razz:

On 26/02/2022 at 13:59, Dr Gloom said:

5x5 training with incremental increase in weight combined with a calorie surplus is ideal for packing on muscle. all you really need is a programme of deadlift/squat/pullup/shoulder press/bench/row 

Yeh that’s what I’ve been doing since November and the gains are insane. It’s also nice to have the stronglifts app as it guides you & tells you how much weight to lift. 

Id never done free weights before so this has been eye opening for me 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yeh that’s what I’ve been doing since November and the gains are insane. It’s also nice to have the stronglifts app as it guides you & tells you how much weight to lift. 

Id never done free weights before so this has been eye opening for me 

Free weights are the bomb - the 6 lifts i mentioned in the post above hit all muscle groups. V efficient compared to weight machines so perfect if you’re time-poor. That’s not to say machines don’t have a place  though. I do split training these days so they’re brilliant finishers 

If he’s new to lifting then 5x5’s isn’t a bad shout to start with. There will come a point though when you’ll plateau and will need to switch things up. Negatives, TuT, shorter rest, higher reps etc…

I’ve been doing high volume training pretty much since lockdown as that’s safer when training solo, but towards the back end of last year started throwing in 5x5’s on the bench, squat and deadlift whilst still doing high volume for the rest of the session. 

Lots of YouTube vids out there if you ever get stuck for ideas along with the knowledgeable folk on here of course. 

3 hours ago, Joelinton said:

Strongliifts is for strength more than mass. Bad advice being delivered by the doctor. If you do use it for mass, use shorter rest times so you can tear more muscle fibers. Or just go for a more suitable mass training programme.

Debatable. As long as you’re eating enough protein and are in surplus you can put on plenty of mass doing the 6 exercises I posted earlier in a 5x5 programme. It’s how I got started. These days I train with much lighter weights, much higher volume and do a split

programme. Back in the day it was the blitz the whole body in 60-70 minutes plan. Whatever works innit 

8 hours ago, peasepud said:

6ft 7 and built like a brick shithoose (19st 6)

Unfortunately, the brickwork is more like this, these days :( 

Pillar, Part Of An Antique Building With A Crumbling Brick | Stock Photos

You're 6 foot fucking 7?!

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/02/2022 at 23:13, Andrew said:

Weighed in at 67.1kgs which means I have 3kgs back from my lowest when I was ill.

Already noticing the difference, really back in the swing at the gym. On the road back to 70 and beyond! 

Pretty much back at "before I was ill" weight now, definitely stronger than I was at that weight last year too :thumbup:

• Like 2