How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

On 22/04/2022 at 13:42, Tom said:

Have you ever tried heart rate training CT? 

It might be a bit of a life hack for you if you don’t like the high intensity stuff. It’s just as effective, you just do your cardio below >140bpm for a certain amount of time and what you achieve changes inside that window but the amount of effort remains low.

Its a good way to build up fitness. You barely know you’re doing it 👍

So now that I’m back on Keto the intense energy has resumed. Wasn’t sure how to handle myself (sort of ASD on smarties) and them remembered your post.

Put aside all the usual procrastination, joined PureGym 2 hours ago and have just got back. I took your advice and spent time on a few bits of machinery and stayed about 138-146 for 40 minutes.

Can I ask you about a PT. Obviously very expensive, but wondering if it’s acceptable to use one, once a week for certain period to get familiar with equipment / routines.

Cheers

Why would it not be acceptable to use a PT, and in those circumstances? Any worth their salt will offer a free assessment of what you need to do to achieve whatever goal it is you wish to go for. It's then up to you if you want to put your hand in your pocket and pay for it. Probably worth, and this is without taking the piss, speaking with one who is a nutritionist as well.

Run 3 miles 3-4 times a week on the treadmill. That's all you need to do. Don't waste money paying a personal trainer to have you doing bicep curls standing on one foot on a balance ball, when all you actually want is some basic level of fitness. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

🚨🚨🚨NEW HOBBY KLAXON🚨🚨🚨

:boogie: It's the most... wonderful time... of the every few months :boogie:  

(Good luck CT, hope you make it stick ;) )

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Run 3 miles 3-4 times a week on the treadmill. That's all you need to do. Don't waste money paying a personal trainer to have you doing bicep curls standing on one foot on a balance ball, when all you actually want is some basic level of fitness. 

Pains me to say it, but Gemmill is absolutely spot on.

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

Why would it not be acceptable to use a PT, and in those circumstances? Any worth their salt will offer a free assessment of what you need to do to achieve whatever goal it is you wish to go for. It's then up to you if you want to put your hand in your pocket and pay for it. Probably worth, and this is without taking the piss, speaking with one who is a nutritionist as well.

The acceptability question is are they happy to take someone on for say 10 weeks or are they after 52 weeks a year customers.

Basically, I want someone who I can make aware of my issues (Herniated disc in the neck & one knee that can play up), put together a routine and then let me get on with it.

I want to use more equipment than the bike, treadmill and elliptical thingy but don’t know how to use the other stuff.

I also don’t want to use anything that will trigger each condition.

I need more than a gym introduction but can’t afford to be paying £30-50 a week for a long period.

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I can’t run (knee) 

On 14/05/2022 at 21:44, Andrew said:

Never have, don't lift that heavy generally, though I have started using a wrist strap recently just to give it some support cause I failed a benchpress a few weeks ago and nackered it a bit.

I think lifting the weight you do its a smart move to keep your spine safe, I see plenty of lads moving less weight than you do wearing them.

Yeh I think from what the lad is saying it’s a bit of a no brainer but will take some getting used to. 

I use a wrist strap for deadlifts and it’s massively helpful, especially for £4! 

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I can’t run (knee) and was hoping that with proper advice there might be a way of building up strength (gently) around the knee.

I have read that improving muscles around the knee can help with knee pain.

22 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

So now that I’m back on Keto the intense energy has resumed. Wasn’t sure how to handle myself (sort of ASD on smarties) and them remembered your post.

Put aside all the usual procrastination, joined PureGym 2 hours ago and have just got back. I took your advice and spent time on a few bits of machinery and stayed about 138-146 for 40 minutes.

Can I ask you about a PT. Obviously very expensive, but wondering if it’s acceptable to use one, once a week for certain period to get familiar with equipment / routines.

Cheers

I see a PT once a month and it’s £20 an hour as i block book it. I mainly go to keep my form

correct however, also it’s nice to talk fitness/nutrition etc and pick his brains a bit. 

I wouldn’t advise doing this kind of thing weekly. You should get enough in your first session to last you.

You probably don’t need to do anymore than the HRT training tbh though, low impact & high reward.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

I see a PT once a month and it’s £20 an hour as i block book it. I mainly go to keep my form

correct however, also it’s nice to talk fitness/nutrition etc and pick his brains a bit. 

I wouldn’t advise doing this kind of thing weekly. You should get enough in your first session to last you.

You probably don’t need to do anymore than the HRT training tbh though, low impact & high reward.

Cheers Tom, on reflection I think you’re right. I’ll see how I get on with that first. 👍🏻

PT’s are good if you lack focus to stay on track because it’s someone to be accountable to, which I think you would find helpful, CT. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If you're worried about your knees, wouldn't swimming be a better shout?

Trunk shopping in the morning as it happens :lol: 

I did think a few options through, but as I have quite a bit of free time, going to the gym regularly seemed much more cost effective that swimming.

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

PT’s are good if you lack focus to stay on track because it’s someone to be accountable to, which I think you would find helpful, CT. 

Tbh, the idea of a PT was purely for setting a routine and knowing which machines to use and how to use them. But I agree with Tom about taking it steady and often first. 

If I can stick to that then I can gradually add on machinery down the line

15 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Anyone else frantically trying to extinguish the image of CT shopping for speedos?

Homer Today GIF

• Haha 4