How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

19 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol: remember when Des Barnes on Neighbours had a trainer called Arnie. That's how I see this going. 

Des Clarke? Des Barnes was married to Denise Squelch in Corrie ;) 

This is worth a look Renton, it's pretty much what I'm doing:

Get running with Couch to 5K - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

As Gemmill says, nail getting 5K done 3 times a week and you're pretty much sorted - it's being consistent about it that's the key. I last was really into it about 6 years ago and did the same route Monday, Wednesday & Friday and had the others as rest days. I was absolutely dead on my feet when I started and within 2 months I entered a 5K, came 11th overall and the leading non-running club entrant. 

The challenge for me is the distance and it'll be a mental challenge more than a physical one. I don't give a shit what time I do, it's getting around the course that's important.  A mate who's a marathon runner is training with me at the moment and despite being one of the biggest pisstakers ever, he's hugely encouraging. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Craig said:

This is worth a look Renton, it's pretty much what I'm doing:

Get running with Couch to 5K - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

As Gemmill says, nail getting 5K done 3 times a week and you're pretty much sorted - it's being consistent about it that's the key. I last was really into it about 6 years ago and did the same route Monday, Wednesday & Friday and had the others as rest days. I was absolutely dead on my feet when I started and within 2 months I entered a 5K, came 11th overall and the leading non-running club entrant. 

The challenge for me is the distance and it'll be a mental challenge more than a physical one. I don't give a shit what time I do, it's getting around the course that's important.  A mate who's a marathon runner is training with me at the moment and despite being one of the biggest pisstakers ever, he's hugely encouraging. 

I'd be interested in this but 12 hour shifts, nights and days, different days of the week mean the every other day thing is out of the question, fucking shift work has put the block on loads of things throughout my working life, there's benefits but if you need a day shift routine week in, week out to do something on any weekly fixed night, well good luck with that. (I'm back to work tonight, can you tell?)

Yeah I get that. A lot of it is mindset - before the last time I was running regularly I was setting the alarm for 6am and snoozing it for 30 minutes before getting up and jumping in the shower. Instead of hitting snooze I was getting out and doing a 5k run and jumping in the shower at the same time. I appreciate it's not possible for everyone but I questioned if I wasn't able to find 30 minutes 3 days a week and rationalised I'd be making excuses to avoid it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Renton said:

Yeah, I tried that last year, first time in 30 years. Turns out you can forget how to ride a bike. 

There's swimming as well but, you know what, I think I'm just too fucking lazy. 

I was going to suggest swimming because you are near the beach, but thought that was going too far at this time of year. :smile:

On 10/01/2023 at 10:26, Renton said:

Quite literally the last item by the sounds of it. ;)

I was asked at work if I wanted to join the 5 aside. I just laughed. I'm more likely to be playing walking football with CT at my age. But as my mental health hopefully gradually improves this year, I really want to improve my physical fitness and appearance too, get some synergy going there. I've been too scared to go on the scales for the past 3 years. They did weigh me at hospital in August and I think I was about 96 Kg, which considering I was dehydrated and half starved is pretty shocking. I need to shift at least 10 Kg off that to be within the bounds of comfort I think, would love to lose 15 Kg. Reckon this will be more achieved through diet than exercise mind. Not interested in the gym. I'm just dubious about the benefits of running because of the long-term impact on your joints, as I already have arthropathy (cause not diagnosed). But then again I practically live on a beach so I guess this could help soften the joint impact. But a question to the runners on here - do you have to enjoy it top keep doing it, and at what point does enjoyment kick in? Because I know its not sustainable for me without some pleasure, but I just can't imagine where that is derived from. 

If you have a bit of dosh to throw at it, then I thoroughly recommend the Wattbike Atom.

I bought one 18 months ago and it is superb. There are so many training programs on there and the bike resistance changes automatically. You also adjust the intensity to your fitness. I tend to do a 29 min HIIT program daily and it really does the job. Also, you’re less likely to pick up injuries, aches and pains etc than running, 5-a-side etc. 

It doesn’t take up too much space so I do it in front of the football, Netflix or whatever. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

If you have a bit of dosh to throw at it, then I thoroughly recommend the Wattbike Atom.

I bought one 18 months ago and it is superb. There are so many training programs on there and the bike resistance changes automatically. You also adjust the intensity to your fitness. I tend to do a 29 min HIIT program daily and it really does the job. Also, you’re less likely to pick up injuries, aches and pains etc than running, 5-a-side etc. 

It doesn’t take up too much space so I do it in front of the football, Netflix or whatever. 

Great bit of kit.

Have you ever used an assault bike? Absolutely savage 

• 1 month later...
On 09/01/2023 at 17:46, Craig said:

I appear to have taken leave of my senses - just put myself in the ballot for the GNR :suicide:

Have never run more than 10K in my life and I haven't run at all for over 2 years!! I guess it'll either kill me or cure me :stars:

Well I missed out on the ballot so decided to go down the charity route instead. If any of you are crazy enough to sponsor me, please head over to the Just Giving page below. 

The group I'm in are planning to hit Newcastle on the evening of Friday, 8th September so I might see some of you then.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/craighayton?utm_source=copyLink&utm_medium=fundraising&utm_content=craighayton&utm_campaign=pfp-share&utm_term=ad7c23372f134288b41b1d9bb38eaa71