How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

wrong thread, but somewhat on topic... Never had quinoa. Is it nice? What do you fruits do to it?

i like it. prefer it to rice actually - tastes more nutty and it's super high in protein and good fats. good salad base for a post workout lunch too.

I'm (almost) sure I looked at this in the supermarket, compared it to rice and discovered that to all purposes, the nutritional information was virtually the same .

Wrong, as always,

So less calories and less fat!

Which is what I was comparing.

*awaits apology but expects weasel words *

sigh.

your body needs healthy fats and calories in order to shed body fat. but you already know this. plus it beats brown rice when it comes to minerals, vitamins and nutrients.

white rice compares even less favourably as most of the nutrients in it have been lost in the processing.

Edited by Dr Gloom

brown rice is lovely. i prefer it to white rice now. never been massively charmed by wholemeal pasta though. i just think if you're going to eat a bowl of starchy carbs, have the tasty refined stuff. just don't eat it all the time. i might have white pasta once a week at the weekend. could happily eat it all day.

I'd say wholemeal pasta works pretty well with more "earthy" flavours - goes well with tuna and red pesto and things like that, but I wouldn't rush to use it in a carbonara, say.

Brown rice, on the other hand... all kinds of awesome. Fry up an onion, cumin seeds, cardamom pods and a cinnamon stick then add some soaked green lentils and brown rice and simmer them until tender. I could live on that if I had to.

Fuck that, white rice all the way. I'll be doing an asian fusion type curry affair tonight, imagine this with brown rice? Shallots, garlic, carrots, ginger, red chilli, coriander stalks etc. Coat the chicken in crushed szechuan and add in some sukiyaki sauce (which is very flexible) and some honey. Bit of china, bit of Japan.

Has to be served on white rice, anything else would be awful (with a GSM blend obviously).

Fuck that, white rice all the way. I'll be doing an asian fusion type curry affair tonight, imagine this with brown rice? Shallots, garlic, carrots, ginger, red chilli, coriander stalks etc. Coat the chicken in crushed szechuan and add in some sukiyaki sauce (which is very flexible) and some honey. Bit of china, bit of Japan.

Has to be served on white rice, anything else would be awful (with a GSM blend obviously).

i love brown rice with indian. i tend to make my own and just get the curry delivered to the house.

it's good alongside mexican food too, i reckon.

don't think brown rice is ever going to cut the mustard in japanese food - sushi for instance.

I'd say wholemeal pasta works pretty well with more "earthy" flavours - goes well with tuna and red pesto and things like that, but I wouldn't rush to use it in a carbonara, say.

Brown rice, on the other hand... all kinds of awesome. Fry up an onion, cumin seeds, cardamom pods and a cinnamon stick then add some soaked green lentils and brown rice and simmer them until tender. I could live on that if I had to.

that sounds lush.

don't think brown rice is ever going to cut the mustard in japanese food - sushi for instance.

Aye, I had some brown rice sushi from M&S the other day, more out of curiosity than anything else. Didn't really work at all.

I'm with Gejon here. Losing 6 pounds in a week or whatever is no way to burn fat. You only lose weight that quickly by starving your body. And the means you burn muscle before the fat. The body clings on to the fat stubbornly. That's what it's designed to do. Muscle weighs more than fat too so rapid decline in weight backs that theory up too.

Why do you keep saying this? From memory of my biochemistry studies its simply incorrect; muscle is the last thing to be metabolized. Sugars first, then complex carbohydrates, then lipids, and lastly muscle. Good job too if you think about it.

Why do you keep saying this? From memory of my biochemistry studies its simply incorrect; muscle is the last thing to be metabolized. Sugars first, then complex carbohydrates, then lipids, and lastly muscle. Good job too if you think about it.

I never did any biochemistry studies, so I might be wrong here, but I have read that if you go on the kind of crash diet CT has talked of (800 calories per day etc) and starve your body of key nutrients, it will enter starvation mode. This goes back to caveman days when famine was rife and the body would store bodyfat during hunting season for emergency energy reserves as a defence mechanism to protect itself from periods of little or no food. And the body hasn't evolved much since the Stone Age.

More here http://weightloss.terrywhitechemists.com.au/weight_loss_science_fat_reduction

I don't know though, I'm no biochemistry expert. So I might be wrong like I say. I would say burning more muscle definitely happens when starving yourself of proper nutrition. I know because it happened to me when I was a novice at training and thought going to bed hungry was a good idea. I lost some fat too but I looked shocking - skinny fat, I'd call it.

So I read up about nutrition. Now I eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full and eat proper food. My body fat had dropped a lot more in that time but I've managed to hold on to lean muscle mass and not burn it.

So all this advice and you were just guessing :(

Well no, I'm going on what I've read and the results I've achieved after following that advice but I'm not a former biochemistry student like Renton. I'd be interested to read his reply. I'm not so arrogant not to be happy to be proven wrong by an expert in a field, which tbf mate you are not.