How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

I had my first failure on 5x5 so was annoyed.

Got 3 x reps of 150KG deadlift but failed the last two. Managed to get it off the ground but not a full rep.

RE - what Joelinton was saying I’m not bothered about mass, just strength and progress. 

I see lads in the gym who’ve been hitting the creatine and roids etc, they look massive but can’t actually lift anything. I don’t see the point .

My mate is a Dr in the army and the soldiers get regularly drug tested etc, so told me whenever he goes to a civilian gym he sees young lads who a built bigger than paratroopers but they’re comparatively weak, 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I had my first failure on 5x5 so was annoyed.

Got 3 x reps of 150KG deadlift but failed the last two. Managed to get it off the ground but not a full rep.

RE - what Joelinton was saying I’m not bothered about mass, just strength and progress. 

I see lads in the gym who’ve been hitting the creatine and roids etc, they look massive but can’t actually lift anything. I don’t see the point .

My mate is a Dr in the army and the soldiers get regularly drug tested etc, so told me whenever he goes to a civilian gym he sees young lads who a built bigger than paratroopers but they’re comparatively weak, 

100%. Juice monkeys are usually weak as piss when it comes to functional strength or cardio. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Not wanting to brag but my best is 220kg :whistling: I actually fucked my back up a couple of weeks ago as I was up to 180kg for 5's.  Got my first set no problem and got the full 5 reps of my second set without issue, it's just when I lowered my 5th rep I felt a click.  Probably didn't help that I then thought it was a good idea to finish off the remaining 3 sets with the weight my mate was doing (120kg) - got a whopping 1 1/2 reps of those before I threw in the towel. :lol:

for anyone who does a split session, try this leg day:

squat 5 x 15

deadlift with trap bar 5 x 15

dumbbell walking lunges 5 x 20 steps

leg press 5 x 15

leg curl/leg extension super set (4 x 12) 

bulgarian split squat/romanian deadlift superset (4 x 12)

guarantee you'll leave the gym like

8131f6a4967b8b485920cecf9a31575e_w200.we

Edited by Dr Gloom

As we're sharing, here's a pure leg session for the insane amongst us,

Barbell Squat 1 1/2's (single rep is all the way down, half way up, all the way down, 3/4 way up to keep tension on quads) - 3 sets, 20 reps

Barbell Reverse Lunge (pick a weight you can do 20 reps with and do that on one side, then switch to the other side then, NO REST, back to the first side, rinse and repeat) - 5 sets, 20 reps first set then good luck!

Dumbbell Sumo Deadlift drop set - 3 sets, 2 drops , 30 reps (i.e. 15kg x 30, 10kg x 30, 5kg x 30 is one set)

Barbell Romanian Deadlift with toes elevated (feet side by side with toes on a 10kg plate, or bit of wood) - 3 sets, 30 reps

Walking Lunges - 1 set, 180 steps

Seated (on hamstring) Calf Raises (squat down next to a bench so your calves are pressed against your hamstrings then just raise your heels) - 5 sets, failure

tumblr_nf71id0mo31qht532o3_400.gifv

my hamstrings feel tight just reading that. 180 walking lunges with no break - holy shit! tell me those aren't weighted. i don't think i couldn't manage that on top of the rest of that programme

Yeah, definitely not weighted. I've never managed to do 180 straight off. The best I've done is 70, (30 second breather), 20, (60 second breather), 60, (30-60 second breather), 30, collapse. 

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I do 50 press-ups most days :lol: 

Iggy Pop's recommends 100 push ups a day and he's still doing alright for a 74 year old, who struts around the stage without a shirt.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sammynb said:

Iggy Pop's recommends 100 push ups a day and he's still doing alright for a 74 year old, who struts around the stage without a shirt.

I need to up my game 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Strength training paying off,  moved 6 tonnes of wet concrete in 40 minutes with 3 other lads and god knows how much muck.

Hurting now, but it was good crack and he got me a crate of cans for helping. Probably not the best for the DOMS like :lol: 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got any recommendations for weightlifting shoes? 

I’d started out reasonably light so could get away with trainers/runners however as my weights are going up it’s effecting my form/balance. 

Ive looked at specific weightlifting shoes and they are absolutely minging, proper space boots. However if that’s what’s required I’ll have a look :lol: 

Have you seen some of the fat old farts around here (myself included)?? And you think one of us can recommend weight lifting shoes. Half of us can't tie our laces and CT hasn't seen his 🍄 for years. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Has anyone got any recommendations for weightlifting shoes? 

I’d started out reasonably light so could get away with trainers/runners however as my weights are going up it’s effecting my form/balance. 

Ive looked at specific weightlifting shoes and they are absolutely minging, proper space boots. However if that’s what’s required I’ll have a look :lol: 

for a power lifting man like you, converse all stars can't be bettered. either that or bare feet (socks if you're in the gym)

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

for a power lifting man like you, converse all stars can't be bettered. either that or bear feet (socks if you're in the gym)

He'll definitely turn some heads in the gym.

bear-feet-slippers_400x333.jpg

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

for a power lifting man like you, converse all stars can't be bettered. either that or bare feet (socks if you're in the gym)

Ah cheers! Yeh I’ve heard Converse said before but I’ve never found them comfortable! 

Also I’ve heard barefoot/socks mentioned but im not sure I’d enjoy that in the gym without feeling self conscious :lol: 

Looking at some Nike Metcon 7s, which look cool and might give me some more motivation despite the fact there’s a large part of me that knows a grown man with a massive velcro strap over some bright Orange trainers can’t look cool in any context.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Ah cheers! Yeh I’ve heard Converse said before but I’ve never found them comfortable! 

Also I’ve heard barefoot/socks mentioned but im not sure I’d enjoy that in the gym without feeling self conscious :lol: 

Looking at some Nike Metcon 7s, which look cool and might give me some more motivation despite the fact there’s a large part of me that knows a grown man with a massive velcro strap over some bright Orange trainers can’t look cool in any context.

you want a flat sole basically so you can feel the contact with the floor. converse have the ankle support too - they're perfect for deadlifts and squats.  if you'e doing hiit or whatever you might want a nike shoe with cushioning but i think converse probably suit your needs best.