How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

going start using that myfitnesspal thing again i think, was good when i was doing that ne carbs thing as it kinda forced me to stick to it as i didn't want to stick certain things in that were junk lol.

Yeah I like it. Love the fact you can scan your food in mostly. I like it to keep track of my macronutrients and largely keep carbs down to 100-150g a day.

If you get in quick they're having a transformation challenge in the Diet & Exercise section of RTG. :D

I had to reduce some of my weights today, just could not grind out the reps with what I was on before Christmas. Frustrating, but plenty of time to build back up.

As of yesterday, i'd ran just over 40km since the 28th Dec but now back at work full time will be hard to keep it up. I was ill before christmas so did nothing for 2 weeks but as i didnt drink alcohol and didnt eat that much i've hit January carrying a bit less than normal. I'm nae Stevie but at nearly 40 i was starting to carry extra pounds, with traveling a lot with work and having a lot of dinners i've got to make a real effort nowadays.

As of yesterday, i'd ran just over 40km since the 28th Dec but now back at work full time will be hard to keep it up. I was ill before christmas so did nothing for 2 weeks but as i didnt drink alcohol and didnt eat that much i've hit January carrying a bit less than normal. I'm nae Stevie but at nearly 40 i was starting to carry extra pounds, with traveling a lot with work and having a lot of dinners i've got to make a real effort nowadays.

Nee Stevie? You certainly aren't looking at that pic in the club last year. Big diff being nearly 6 3 and being 5 8 too.

I wouldn't let pace worry you, you get loads of clever shites on the day who gallop off who you catch at mile 3 walking and huffing and puffing. Best feeling in the world about the GNR is not necessarily the time you get but the fact you ran the whole thing. Being able to run 4 miles 9 months before the GNR is a great place to be. I'm serious about my running but I run at just over 9 minute a mile which is slow but what my body has decided I am capable of so I'll stick to that!

What apps do people use for running? I use runtastic (good name) which gives you average speed, distance, average pace, elevation and i guess what is just an estimation of calories burned. You can see the route on a map and it keeps a history. Its free but there is a pro-app for a few quid.

I think i'm at around the same pace as you SLP, 5.30 mins per KM.

I use a Garmin GPS watch and HRM so use a desktop app called Sporttracks which logs everything including heart rate. It's worth looking into heart rate training if you're wanting to get quicker. I didn't realise the science behind increasing your threshold at which you just start producing a load of lactic acid, which in turn allows you to run quicker.

Edited by Gemmill

I wouldn't let pace worry you, you get loads of clever shites on the day who gallop off who you catch at mile 3 walking and huffing and puffing. Best feeling in the world about the GNR is not necessarily the time you get but the fact you ran the whole thing. Being able to run 4 miles 9 months before the GNR is a great place to be. I'm serious about my running but I run at just over 9 minute a mile which is slow but what my body has decided I am capable of so I'll stick to that!

That's about my pace too. I've never been very good at running any sort of distance, the pace I run is pretty comfortable so I could possibly go a bit quicker but always think I'll misjudge it and end up knackered later on.

Not that I've done any running since the Great North Run like, but if I get in again this year I'll gradually build up my distances again.

I use Runkeeper. It does distance, average pace, elevation, calories burned etc. There are probably better it's just the first one that was recommended to me. I use it more for psychological purposes to be honest. It's also good for working out training runs so you know before you set off that the route you're doing is going to be a 6 miler etc. I find it quite motivating to look back at what you've done over the past month/year and see that you've put the graft in and are going in the right direction. Running probably one of the hardest forms of exercise to get motivated to do, especially when the weather is shite.

That's about my pace too. I've never been very good at running any sort of distance, the pace I run is pretty comfortable so I could possibly go a bit quicker but always think I'll misjudge it and end up knackered later on.

Not that I've done any running since the Great North Run like, but if I get in again this year I'll gradually build up my distances again.

First year I did the GNR my father in law. who used to be a serious club runner, drilled it into me that I should take it nice and easy early on. Ignore everyone sprinting off, just take it easy and run your own race. I probably took this a bit too literally and was slow as shit first 5 miles. However, when I came in for the last bit on the sea front I felt fresh as a daisy and pretty much sprinted home. Last year however, that final run in was a little more laboured.. :puke:

First year I did the GNR my father in law. who used to be a serious club runner, drilled it into me that I should take it nice and easy early on. Ignore everyone sprinting off, just take it easy and run your own race. I probably took this a bit too literally and was slow as shit first 5 miles. However, when I came in for the last bit on the sea front I felt fresh as a daisy and pretty much sprinted home. Last year however, that final run in was a little more laboured.. :puke:

Both years I've done it I've been fine (actually 2012 a little quicker than anticipated) until 10-11 miles when I became absolutely knackered. Clearly my own fault as I'd only run up to 10 miles the first year and 11 the second. This year I'll need to do a bit more longer distance training. I wasn't arsed the first year as I just wanted to get round but while I was happy to have a bit off my time the following year it could've been even more if I was better prepared.

Let us know when you need sponsorship.

Nice one Chez I will do. Hoping to raise £2000 for the cancer research like. I'll get near it with friends and family, but if I can get a few extra quid on here and me 1200 followers on twitter that would be mint.

so what is everyone's new diet or training plan looking like? CT - what is it this year? weightwatchers or slimming world?

i had my bodyfat measured this morning. came in at 14.4 per cent. easily the fattest i've been in a while. my new trainer's got me on a pretty savage training and nutrition plan, designed to have me down at 10 per cent body fat in 12 weeks. the hardest bit, as always, will be maintaining after adopting a less disciplined diet.

just recovering now from a savage kettlebell class. 1 circuit, 5 sets of 1 minute swing, 45 second kettle bell press up, 45 second clean and press, 45 second squat to press and 45 second burpee. with no break inbetween followed by a one minute rest inbetween each set, using a 20kg bell.

nutrition-wise, i'm eating pretty clean; low carb on non-training days. some complex carbs pre and post workout on training days. also aiming to stay off the booze for 6 weeks, other than my one cheat day per week where i'm allowed a couple of glasses of red wine.

the training is the easy bit. not cheating on the nutrition side is the real challenge. especially after a christmas holiday where i drank my bodyweight in booze and ate countless junk meals.

Edited by Dr Gloom