How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

Serious question requiring a simplistic answer.

Started the healthy eating yesterday and aiming to eat around 1500 cals a day during Feb to shift some weight.

Yesterday I ate fairly well but only used up 850 cals approx. Obviously I understand that I cant do that all the time, but what are the side effects of too few calories?

Serious question requiring a simplistic answer.

Started the healthy eating yesterday and aiming to eat around 1500 cals a day during Feb to shift some weight.

Yesterday I ate fairly well but only used up 850 cals approx. Obviously I understand that I cant do that all the time, but what are the side effects of too few calories?

that is way too few calories. you should be eating at least 1,800-2000 a day. that combined with moderate excercise should result in a hefty calorie deficit required to burn fat. eating so few calories like that will only lead to your body entering starvation mode where it persistently clings on to fats in order to preserve emergency storage as a survival mechanism. the human body evolved through years as hunter gatherer cave men and long periods without food to cling on to fat in this way.

ironically, your body needs calories to burn fat, it just needs the right kind of calories. so rather than starving yourself of the fuel your body needs and eating low fat, high sugar "diet" foods, make sure you're eating plenty of whole foods (including healthy fats like almonds, olive oil, avocado etc). just cut out the refined carbs like bread, pasta, white rice etc etc.

in other words - don't fear fat! you need to consume healthy fats in order to shift the spare tire. way better to ditch the refined carbs and processed "diet foods" - which actually cause your blood sugar to spike and your body to cling on to fat instead of burning it...

giving up or reducing the booze is always the hardest bit. 1 gram of alcohol = 7 calories.

sometimes, only a pint will do. but one stella is about 350 dead calories that do fuck all other than go straight to the love handles. gin or vodka with low calorie mixers like soda water and slime line tonic are the best for keeping empty calorie intake down but i'm fucked if i'm going to drink drinks like that all night

the thing i've found that works best is cutting the nightly glass or two of wine and restricting booze consumption to one night a week. and making sure you keep off the junk food while pissed. that pizza or burger never seems more appealing than after a night down the pub.

Eating 1500 calories a day is not enough to send you into starvation mode. There's studies where people have been on much lower daily intake than that and not gone into starvation.

CT did you watch the recent Horizon show Eat, Fast and Live Longer. Available on torrents and could genuinely be the answer for you. Basically you eat normally 5 days a week and on 2 days you only eat 600 calories. Those are non consecutive days.

It would basically mean that most of the time you aren't having to worry about calories.

As if by magic :lol:

I was introduced to kettlebells by a couple of mates for the first time yesterday. I had no bother doing them but I've woken up this morning and fuck me, the bottom of my back is in bits!

best way to train if you ask me. hits muscle groups you never knew you had.

i'd be a little concerned if you're lower back is stiff though - maybe get a trainer to review your form. you should be feeling it most in glutes, core and legs.

Eating 1500 calories a day is not enough to send you into starvation mode. There's studies where people have been on much lower daily intake than that and not gone into starvation.

CT did you watch the recent Horizon show Eat, Fast and Live Longer. Available on torrents and could genuinely be the answer for you. Basically you eat normally 5 days a week and on 2 days you only eat 600 calories. Those are non consecutive days.

It would basically mean that most of the time you aren't having to worry about calories.

he was on about eating 850 though. that's nowhere near enough

in other words - don't fear fat! you need to consume healthy fats in order to shift the spare tire. way better to ditch the refined carbs and processed "diet foods" - which actually cause your blood sugar to spike and your body to cling on to fat instead of burning it...

I cant be giving up Pasta and rice man! (But thanks for the answer) ;)

best way to train if you ask me. hits muscle groups you never knew you had.

i'd be a little concerned if you're lower back is stiff though - maybe get a trainer to review your form. you should be feeling it most in glutes, core and legs.

Bear in mind I steer well clear of dead lifts in the gym. Surely your lower back forms part of your core anyway?

From wiki:

The major muscles of the core reside in the area of the belly and the mid and lower back (not the shoulders)

Everyone eats a ton of bread in France, every meal without fail. Everyone is skinny as fuck. I'm thinking its not 'bread' per se but perhaps processed bread? The low carb thing may still make sense as the bread here only lasts about an hour and after 3 or 4 hours its pretty much inedible so perhaps the way they make it produces less carbs? No idea tbh.

There's definitely bread and "bread", but still, it seems like an easy enough thing to relinquish if calorie-counting since it's basically dead calories.

My main insight into the French diet comes from sitting outside at a bar in Évian a couple of years ago and observing a businesswoman on the next table chain-smoking and feeding most of her "dinner" of cheese and charcuterie meat to her dog. So I think we can conclude that the key to losing weight is to start up on the fags and get yourself a puppy.

If that's the case, try whole meal rice and pasta. Not as tasty but you get used to it

Yep. Mind, for all wholemeal pasta is a bit of a slog, I really like the heavy texture of brown rice.

And just have smaller portions. I know it sounds daft but the difference between having even 50 grams less pasta or rice with your meal quickly adds up over the course of a week or two.

There's definitely bread and "bread", but still, it seems like an easy enough thing to relinquish if calorie-counting since it's basically dead calories.

My main insight into the French diet is sitting outside at a bar in Évian a couple of years ago and observing a businesswoman on the next table chain-smoking and feeding most of her "dinner" of cheese and charcuterie meat to her dog. So I think we can conclude that the key to losing weight is to start up on the fags and get yourself a puppy.

:lol: You've sold that to me more than this 5:2 nonsense.

No I didnt see it and Im not really going ott in counting calories. But from what Ive read and given my current sedentary lifestyle, around 1500 cals a day is decent target to lose weight. Obviously if I can start exercising then that can go up.

My biggest problem (like most) is staying interested / motivated which is why I have basically set myself a month target. The end of Feb is not too far away and I can review everything then.

My main insight into the French diet comes from sitting outside at a bar in Évian a couple of years ago and observing a businesswoman on the next table chain-smoking and feeding most of her "dinner" of cheese and charcuterie meat to her dog. So I think we can conclude that the key to losing weight is to start up on the fags and get yourself a puppy.

I was a racing snake when I smoked :lol:

I did 2 fantastic runs last week, both around San Francisco bay. A 12k and a 8k which i was dead pleased with as i was only away 5 nights.

I'm no runner, but we went there 4 days, walked the bay 2 of those days and cycled it (over the bridge and got the boat back from Sausalito) another.

It is lush.

Bear in mind I steer well clear of dead lifts in the gym. Surely your lower back forms part of your core anyway?

From wiki:

The major muscles of the core reside in the area of the belly and the mid and lower back (not the shoulders)

nah, by core i meant round the abs. you really shouldn't feel it in your lower back at all. lower back should be locked in place on excercises like the kettlebell swing - correct form is to pivot and drive hard with the hips to get the kettlebell moving. i've had a lot of problems with my lower back over the years so am super nervous of any pain there after training. if the pain in the lower back is a result of you using your back for kettlebell work then you are an injury waiting to happen. it could be because your hip flexors and glutes are tight, which could result in soreness in the lower back. if that's the case - long stretch of hip flexors pre and post training would help.

it's worth getting a pro to review your form either way. there's a great demo or correct form here