How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

Well put it this way, it's a bit ironic I'm the one labeled as a middle class snob on this board. ;)

i grew up in one of the roughest parts of washington. it was hardly a bed of roses. yeah, i would say i'm middle class now, definitely. a food snob? probably. but my parents didn't have a pot to piss in when i grew up in the 80s and they still cared about our nutrition. we were allowed chocolate and ice cream but we were taught that it was an occasional treat and not something you eat with every meal.

what's BS excactly? i'm arguing that kids that combine excercise with a good diet are less likely to be obese. most kids these days want to spend most of their time playing video games rather than running around outside like we used to. that's a fact. and i think part of being a responsible parent (or health fascist) is rationing that, encouraging more active play and not feeding them junk on demand.

Nothing wrong with video games, obviously spending all day on em is shite but then again who other than the biggest arseholes let their kids spend all day on them? I bet a fair few of your generation spend days slumped out in front of the tv, which is the same except it doesn't encourage using your mind. Same with sweets, as long as they're not eating their body weight in sugar who cares.

Btw I think regarding Dan's predictable health lecture to the quite deliberate attempt to wind him up by J69, the word "chomp" has never been more apt!

guilty as charged, i chomped.

The rags to riches type snob are the worst. ;)

we were always aspirational middle class. i remember an old charver girlfriend of mine coming to my house in washy and asking me what we did with all the books on the shelves. to which i had to reply, "well, we read them".

Well put it this way, it's a bit ironic I'm the one labeled as a middle class snob on this board. ;)

Dont know why being cultured automatically makes you a snob. I mean look at Alex, goes to Poetry classes, loves the ballet and can detect more bouquets in a glass of vino than a scent hound but he's no snob.

I ate loads of sweets, crisps, cake etc growing up and drank litres of coke. I was always fairly active though and I got decent home cooked meals with plenty of veg most nights. Was never really a fan of <whatever> + chips, but I'd have that sort of meal occasionally. The rest of my family was overweight though :lol: (although my dad did lots of sports so could get away with eating loads)

I only got fat when I moved out and had to fend for myself, then it was takeaways, junk food etc constantly until I decided to pack that in. My food now during the week is fairly repetitive, but I don't begrudge myself the occasional unhealthy treat.

With kids I think bottom line is use fucking common sense. I'd never heard of hummus when I was a bairn but my 3yo loves it. Anyone with kids knows if your bairn likes something you're on to a winner.

We don't force anything on them as agree that just backfires. They eat plenty of treats, especially at their grans so we have to be responsible, endure they also eat good food and are active.

I ate loads of junk as a bairn but was active as well as being a spectrum geek ;)

Anyway I went to the gym this morning, you've got to love that 4th or fifth visit after a long break, where unlike the 1st-3rd your body's got used to it and you no longer feel like you've been runover by a bus, nor walk like John Wayne after he's been fingered by King Kong.

Edited by luckyluke

As a kid, I spent as much time playing video games and watching cartoons as I did playing football. Whenever it's brought up, I laugh. A very convenient way to look at things.

Yup.

I ate absolute shit at school and had no weight issues, in fact I was probably underweight until my late 20s. You make a lot of anecdotes and generalisations Gloomy, but never back them with evidence. Nobody ate carrots and humous in my day, everyone ate chips, crisps, and sweets, yet hardly anyone was fat. Activity, not diet, was the key.

+1

I had the same packed lunch everyday in the 80s. Cream cheese sarnies, Blue Riband/Breakaway and a bag of crisps. That was the norm, not child abuse. I also rode my Raleigh Wildcat round the streets fast as fuck pretending I was street hawk

+1

I had the same packed lunch everyday in the 80s. Cream cheese sarnies, Blue Riband/Breakaway and a bag of crisps. That was the norm, not child abuse. I also rode my Raleigh Wildcat round the streets fast as fuck pretending I was street hawk

Have you got kids?

That's the point though isn't it. Healthy diet is more important than ever because kids aren't active now they when we grew up in the 80s.

I should add the reason Renton was underweight through his 20s was probably malnutrition if all ate was crap

Oh noes, I was malnourished. :panic:

I was a normal kid and student ffs! :lol:

Nowt wrong with having a healthy diet but you seem to be absolutely obsessed and it really is boring as fuck. Some (not all) of the guff you've spouted reeks of the crap nutritionists come out with as well. If you want common sense though and not pseudoscience, a dietitian will give you some proper advice without any mention of a mung bean.

Oh noes, I was malnourished. :panic:

I was a normal kid and student ffs! :lol:

Nowt wrong with having a healthy diet but you seem to be absolutely obsessed and it really is boring as fuck. Some (not all) of the guff you've spouted reeks of the crap nutritionists come out with as well. If you want common sense though and not pseudoscience, a dietitian will give you some proper advice without any mention of a mung bean.

This thread is about losing weight and staying in shape. If its boring you don't read the thread. There are plenty on here who are interested. If there weren't the thread would sink.

And you can dismiss what I say about fitness and diet all you like. You say it's guff but it works for me. I enjoy feeling healthy and strong.

Now jog on back to your stained glass windows and lousy food.

No :lol: But that doesn't mean I can't judge others who have

Not what I mean. Until you have kids, you havent got a clue how you will treat them, including feed them. If you know "product X" is full of shit, why the fuck would you feed it to a child without a second thought?

when most of us were kids smoking wasnt even frowned at man :lol:

Surely people have seen numerous reports about fat kids eating shit drinking shit and sitting playing on the xbox with enough behaviour issues to keep a shrink in a job?

Like I say, its about balance. Chocolate is fine in moderation if you are active but a shit load of kids are not, many I guess because their parents are not.

I wonder how many here think drinking 6-8 pints 1-2 times a week and eating from greggs (ok, with a salad filling) is fine so long as they play 5 a side on a weekend?

This thread is about losing weight and staying in shape. If its boring you don't read the thread. There are plenty on here who are interested. If there weren't the thread would sink.

And you can dismiss what I say about fitness and diet all you like. You say it's guff but it works for me. I enjoy feeling healthy and strong.

Now jog on back to your stained glass windows and lousy food.

Well, the stained glass window joke is only 8 years old so well done there. As for lousy food, I've never actually bored myself or others to pay what I eat on here, so what see you on about?

Truth is, not so long ago you hardly had the most healthy lifestyle yourself from what I can recall, now you've changed, which is all well and good,except you have become evangelical about it for some reason. I prefer the old chilled Dan. ;)

The market for supplements is huge and its mental that its unregulated. When you think many people preach about eating shite filled with who knows what (colouring, bulking agents, preservatives you get the idea) and then go and stuff some unknown chemicals in their gob because some random website or bloke in the gym says "this will get you where you want to be faster".

Each to their own as ever. Think I've said before but I use BCAA on an empty stomach as I train at 6.30am and dont eat until 11am - noon. I have supplemented Creatine but don't at the moment. I have whey protein in the cupboard and its only really drank if in a particular day for some reason I've not been eating meat/fish. Fish oils I do take daily and I also take a multi vit. Sounds a lot when you write it out :lol: Nothing controversial though.