How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

I appear to have taken leave of my senses - just put myself in the ballot for the GNR :suicide:

Have never run more than 10K in my life and I haven't run at all for over 2 years!! I guess it'll either kill me or cure me :stars:

• Like 4

Nice! For all it's intended for absolute beginners, I've found Couch To 5k is good for getting your distance up while building a good base level of fitness too - if you're already doing 20 mins without stopping, you could jump straight to a week somewhere in the middle of the programme and go from there. 

Can't decide whether to wish you good luck or bad luck in the ballot. 😬😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Craig said:

I appear to have taken leave of my senses - just put myself in the ballot for the GNR :suicide:

Have never run more than 10K in my life and I haven't run at all for over 2 years!! I guess it'll either kill me or cure me :stars:

superb stuff! let us know how the training goes if you make the ballot 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Nice! For all it's intended for absolute beginners, I've found Couch To 5k is good for getting your distance up while building a good base level of fitness too - if you're already doing 20 mins without stopping, you could jump straight to a week somewhere in the middle of the programme and go from there. 

Can't decide whether to wish you good luck or bad luck in the ballot. 😬😁

That’s pretty much my game plan. I was a regular runner about 6 or 7 years ago so it’s not completely alien, but my limit was 5-10K. I’ve always wanted to do the GNR so it’s one to tick off the bucket list. I couldn’t give a shit about timing, it’s all about getting it done.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Craig said:

I’ve always wanted to do the GNR so it’s one to tick off the bucket list

Quite literally the last item by the sounds of it. ;)

I was asked at work if I wanted to join the 5 aside. I just laughed. I'm more likely to be playing walking football with CT at my age. But as my mental health hopefully gradually improves this year, I really want to improve my physical fitness and appearance too, get some synergy going there. I've been too scared to go on the scales for the past 3 years. They did weigh me at hospital in August and I think I was about 96 Kg, which considering I was dehydrated and half starved is pretty shocking. I need to shift at least 10 Kg off that to be within the bounds of comfort I think, would love to lose 15 Kg. Reckon this will be more achieved through diet than exercise mind. Not interested in the gym. I'm just dubious about the benefits of running because of the long-term impact on your joints, as I already have arthropathy (cause not diagnosed). But then again I practically live on a beach so I guess this could help soften the joint impact. But a question to the runners on here - do you have to enjoy it top keep doing it, and at what point does enjoyment kick in? Because I know its not sustainable for me without some pleasure, but I just can't imagine where that is derived from. 

1 minute ago, RobinRobin said:

Get a bike if you're worried about your joints. 🙂 

Yeah, I tried that last year, first time in 30 years. Turns out you can forget how to ride a bike. 

There's swimming as well but, you know what, I think I'm just too fucking lazy. 

20 minutes ago, Renton said:

Quite literally the last item by the sounds of it. ;)

I was asked at work if I wanted to join the 5 aside. I just laughed. I'm more likely to be playing walking football with CT at my age. But as my mental health hopefully gradually improves this year, I really want to improve my physical fitness and appearance too, get some synergy going there. I've been too scared to go on the scales for the past 3 years. They did weigh me at hospital in August and I think I was about 96 Kg, which considering I was dehydrated and half starved is pretty shocking. I need to shift at least 10 Kg off that to be within the bounds of comfort I think, would love to lose 15 Kg. Reckon this will be more achieved through diet than exercise mind. Not interested in the gym. I'm just dubious about the benefits of running because of the long-term impact on your joints, as I already have arthropathy (cause not diagnosed). But then again I practically live on a beach so I guess this could help soften the joint impact. But a question to the runners on here - do you have to enjoy it top keep doing it, and at what point does enjoyment kick in? Because I know its not sustainable for me without some pleasure, but I just can't imagine where that is derived from. 

5 a side is great man. I play with loads of middle aged dads. You’re never too old 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

5 a side is great man. I play with loads of middle aged dads. You’re never too old 

Yeah, you are. The lads (and lasses) I work with are in their 20s, I ould be slaughtered. Even in my late 30s I woke up the next morning with the pains you were describing, now I doubt I could get out of bed. 

Get yourself down to the beach, podcast in your lugs, and start plodding. Do the couch to 5k as Meenzer has suggested. 

And honesty, anything is better than nothing. You don't need to have any lofty goals. If you get to a point where you're running 5k, 3 times a week (which will happen in no time), you've chinned it. You could easily go up from that to do something longer on a weekend, or you could just stick with that and it'll do you the world of good. 

Trainers on, cuntface. Hop to it. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Renton said:

But a question to the runners on here - do you have to enjoy it top keep doing it, and at what point does enjoyment kick in? Because I know its not sustainable for me without some pleasure, but I just can't imagine where that is derived from.

I always say that I enjoy having run more than I enjoy the act of running itself. The satisfaction of achievement is the best motivator really. But I tend to get more out of it if I'm running with someone else, or as part of an organised event like a parkrun where there's a general supportive vibe all round (and I can see other people who are hating it just as much as I am :D ).

More seriously, if joint impact is a concern, I'd also look at hiking and hill walking. Doesn't have to be heavy-duty stuff, but a couple of regular routes with plenty of uphill will get your heartbeat up and calories burnt in no time, plus you actually get to enjoy the views along the way. It's good for running too in that it strengthens glutes, hamstrings and the like. Obviously now isn't necessarily the time of year for that, but we're getting there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I always say that I enjoy having run more than I enjoy the act of running itself. The satisfaction of achievement is the best motivator really. But I tend to get more out of it if I'm running with someone else, or as part of an organised event like a parkrun where there's a general supportive vibe all round (and I can see other people who are hating it just as much as I am :D ).

More seriously, if joint impact is a concern, I'd also look at hiking and hill walking. Doesn't have to be heavy-duty stuff, but a couple of regular routes with plenty of uphill will get your heartbeat up and calories burnt in no time, plus you actually get to enjoy the views along the way. It's good for running too in that it strengthens glutes, hamstrings and the like. Obviously now isn't necessarily the time of year for that, but we're getting there.

Cheers, love hill walking, or just walking in general, but it's just a time thing. So I tend to "binge" 2 or 3 times a year on holiday. Fine going up hill but downhill absolutely fucks my knees and hips.

Anyway, @Gemmill has motivated me to try couch to 5k, just aiming for 5k 3 times a week. I reckon that's the length of Long sands  there and back, so could quite easily slip this into my routine after the school drop on days I wfh. Feels good to have an actual target, cheers lads. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Well that's depressing. Just measured on Google maps, an so-called "Long" sands is only 1.3 Km, so I'd have to do it both ways twice! Christ I need some chocolate. 

Do the beach up to Blyth. Do a bit of paddle boarding too.

Get a Dog! Bikram Yoga! 

18 minutes ago, Renton said:

Well that's depressing. Just measured on Google maps, an so-called "Long" sands is only 1.3 Km, so I'd have to do it both ways twice! Christ I need some chocolate. 

Running on grass is more forgiving on the joints than paths, too, so any park that isn't too muddy at this time of year will do for a bit of variety.

30 minutes ago, Renton said:

Obviously you're not starting with 5k on C25k so don't worry about that for now. Just get out there and get started. Or to put it another way, get your trainers on cuntface. 

It’s quite a nice loop if you go all the way from the harbour at Blyth to Seaton Sluice and back. Obviously you can start at any point along that route and there’s loads of free parking at various points. I think that’s somewhere in the region of 5 miles if you do the full length of the beach and back. Just up the road for you, Renton. I just walk it as I get quite a lot of joint pain if I try and run these days. Which is depressing but it is what it is. There’s also a path through the dunes for most of the route which breaks it up a bit too. Good thing is with the tide, weather, season etc. the beach is never quite the same. The bad thing from a diet point of view is I find it very difficult to resist the nice coffee, cake, chips and gelato at Coastline / Cicarelli’s next to the beach huts at Blyth 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

The bad thing from a diet point of view is I find it very difficult to resist the nice coffee, cake, chips and gelato at Coastline / Cicarelli’s next to the beach huts at Blyth 

The good folks at Blyth Links parkrun know a selling point when they see one. :D

8oScuD.jpg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

There's definitely a side hustle as a personal trainer in your future.

:lol: remember when Des Barnes on Neighbours had a trainer called Arnie. That's how I see this going.