Nirvana

LeazesMag

Why thank you SJ.

Difficult to chose between Bleach and Nevermind....both fantastic for different reasons.

Was lucky to see them at the long gone Calton Studios in Edinburgh in 91.....500 capacity venue for a band that had had "smells like teen spirit" played every 10 minutes on MTV for the previous 3 months....there was a near riot outside, fuckin dangerous getting in. Then saw them at Reading in 92, just as good :dunno:

Similar happened here. Nevermind had just reached no.1 in the US but they already had a tour of Australia booked and although their management tried to cancel it on them, they still turned up.

At the time I'd seen quite a few sub pop bands (TAD, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr) and with friends we bought tickets before Nevermind had hit big but after Smells Like Teen Spirit was everywhere no one knew what to expect.

There was a bit of an expectation that it might be disappointing, turns out it was anything but. They just got on with it and were amazing.

So like PL I was lucky enough to see them at a relative small venue, 800-1000, when they were at the peak of their game.

Funny I saw Hole at the exact same venue about a year later before they had hooked up and Courtney was such a contrary cunt that no matter how good they sounded her patter between songs ruined it. L7 weren't much better.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but fuck Goo, seriously? gimme Washing Machine anyday

Hey we're were talking recommendations for Leaze, not what favourite/best album.

Daydream Nation pisses all over everything else they had released, imho.

Problem is I only have it on vinyl so it rarely gets a listen these days.

Never Mind.

Anybody like it ?

Aye, the one good album they did.

That would be In Utero. Unless the MTV Unplugged set counts, obviously.

You both should be shot with shit! :dunno:

Bleach is the equal of Nevermind, possibly even better considering the lack of money spent on it.

Leaze, stop pissing around and go buy Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, Sonic Youth's Goo and Dinosaur Jr's Ear Bleed Country (it's a best of but the best starting point with J Masics).

"Fell on Black Days" - my favourite Soundgarden track.

Bleach is shite.

It's yer too cool for school types that insist all their best work was done before they broke out.

The only good track on there is About A Girl....and the Unplugged version is 10 times better.

Wrong

Bleach is shite.

It's yer too cool for school types that insist all their best work was done before they broke out.

The only good track on there is About A Girl....and the Unplugged version is 10 times better.

Wrong

I've been looking for 5 star reviews to get a bit more detail than that on what makes people think Bleach is better than the blatantly 5 star Nevermind. I've only been able to find one, and even that says....

"Like many young alts in 91, Nevermind turned my world upside down. But I remember being disappointed after subsequently discovering Bleach, the band’s debut. It didn’t have Nevermind’s hooks, precise quiet/loud dynamics or Butch Vig’s glossy production. Years later, it’s those attributes that make Bleach so endearing. (Rawness often seems to hold up better than commercially successful work.)"

http://www.nowtoronto.com/music/discs.cfm?content=172287

No, you were right at the time. Retrospectively re-evaluating what you really think so as to be different and deride "commercially successful" work is the very definition of too cool for school.

Bleach is shite.

Wrong

I've been looking for 5 star reviews to get a bit more detail than that on what makes people think Bleach is better than the blatantly 5 star Nevermind. I've only been able to find one, and even that says....

"Like many young alts in 91, Nevermind turned my world upside down. But I remember being disappointed after subsequently discovering Bleach, the band’s debut. It didn’t have Nevermind’s hooks, precise quiet/loud dynamics or Butch Vig’s glossy production. Years later, it’s those attributes that make Bleach so endearing. (Rawness often seems to hold up better than commercially successful work.)"

No, you were right at the time. Retrospectively re-evaluating what you really think so as to be different and deride "commercially successful" work is the very definition of too cool for school.

HF, Chris, please put your reading glasses on and go re-read my original post and stop impersonating leazes!

It's not about Souness or Ashley but it about investment.

Bleach is shite.

Wrong

I bet Patrokles prefers the original Nirvana :pullhair:

Bleach is shite.

Wrong

HF, Chris, please put your reading glasses on and go re-read my original post and stop impersonating leazes!

Your original post said "Bleach is the equal of Nevermind, possibly even better"

Bollocks tbh.

Costing $600 has nowt to do with it.

It's better than Chinese Democracy mind, and that cost $742billion

but fuck Goo, seriously? gimme Washing Machine anyday

Hey we're were talking recommendations for Leaze, not what favourite/best album.

Daydream Nation pisses all over everything else they had released, imho.

Problem is I only have it on vinyl so it rarely gets a listen these days.

I like DDN a hella lot but i'd take Washing Machine over it, i mean come on, The Diamond Sea.

the fucking diamond sea!

Bleach is shite.

Wrong

I bet Patrokles prefers the original Nirvana :pullhair:

Yeah the polish 60's band called Nirvana.

Bleach is shite.

Wrong

Your original post said "Bleach is the equal of Nevermind, possibly even better"

Bollocks tbh.

Mmm, selective quoting - nice one leaze!

Don't worry about answering, we have nothing more to discuss.

Makes me think of when I was 11 or 12 and living in Hong Kong............what a great time. Anyhow, In Utero is really good, but Nevermind is more accessible and rounded in my opinion. Haven't listened to Bleach that much. And I remember when I found out Kurt topped himself-one of my older sisters told me when I was playing Sensible Soccer on the Mega Drive in my bedroom. Even though I was 12 or 13, I had a 'well that's not a surprise is it?' feeling.

Faith No More were the bollocks though. Angel Dust is a fucking belter.

Aye. Fucking loved them. That and The Real Thing are great. Following on from what HF said my mate at the time reckoned Introduce Yourself was better. I like it but Chuck Moseley's singing man :pullhair:

I remember feeling gutted that I didn't really get into Nirvana big time until I was 13, a year too late to grieve for Kurt :pullhair:

I also had a wardrobe full of those Nirvana smiley T shirts, but Solid Sounds at Old Eldon Square only sold them in XL so they hung off me like a dress!

Bleach is shite.

Wrong

Bollocks tbh.

Mmm, selective quoting - nice one leaze!

Don't worry about answering, we have nothing more to discuss.

I never changed an ounce of the context.

Bleach is the equal of Nevermind, possibly even better considering the lack of money spent on it.

I specifically addressed the qualification I cut out.

The original Nirvana were immense. I have Simon Simopath on my iPod and I have no shame about it. And they were English, not Polish.

I thought nb was being humourous with the Polish thing, i.e. an even more obscure group. And they were canny good, aye.

The original Nirvana were immense. I have Simon Simopath on my iPod and I have no shame about it. And they were English, not Polish.

I thought nb was being humourous with the Polish thing, i.e. an even more obscure group. And they were canny good, aye.

I did forget the :pullhair:

Sorry to gatecrash.

If someone's new to Sonic Youth then i'd say Daydream Nation, Dirty and The Eternal are good to start.

I know Washing Machine is good, but, DDN and Dirty really were them at their best imo. The Eternal is very good too i think. Surprised me.

I did forget the :pullhair:

Whoops. My love for the owld 60s psych overpowers me sometimes.

Makes me think of when I was 11 or 12 and living in Hong Kong............what a great time. Anyhow, In Utero is really good, but Nevermind is more accessible and rounded in my opinion. Haven't listened to Bleach that much. And I remember when I found out Kurt topped himself-one of my older sisters told me when I was playing Sensible Soccer on the Mega Drive in my bedroom. Even though I was 12 or 13, I had a 'well that's not a surprise is it?' feeling.

Faith No More were the bollocks though. Angel Dust is a fucking belter.

Aye. Fucking loved them. That and The Real Thing are great. Following on from what HF said my mate at the time reckoned Introduce Yourself was better. I like it but Chuck Moseley's singing man :pullhair:

Used to love Faith No More as a young 'un. Struggling to remember the lead vocals but I remember them changing though. Epic, Real Thing, Midlife crisis etc. Fantastic stuff.

• 2 years later...