Paris

JaMoUsE

Gonna take the mrs to paris in the new year, never been before. Ive been looking at a hotel - Hotel Louvre Bons Enfants based right beside the louvre. Basically i want to know if this is a good location to get around paris or can any1 suggesta nice hotel ina better location? Budget about 80-160 a night for a double room.

Thanks in advance for any help

Gonna take the mrs to paris in the new year, never been before. Ive been looking at a hotel - Hotel Louvre Bons Enfants based right beside the louvre. Basically i want to know if this is a good location to get around paris or can any1 suggesta nice hotel ina better location? Budget about 80-160 a night for a double room.

Thanks in advance for any help

If you've got kids then a trip to disney/Paris is highly recommended. It's just a short trip away by train from Paris. I've been a few times and I'm a right 'loada-shite' type bloke, but the girl's loved it.

great location - the Louvre itself is best taken in very small bites - its the National Gallery, the V&A, the British Museum all rolled into one

At night go into the central courtyard and look at the Pyramid -all lit up - magic

Just along the street from you is the Palais Royale - its a big enclosed square garden area - good to let kids run off steam

The Marais area just beyond the Pompidou Centre is a great place to wander - all sort so interesting places and shops and cafes

Chez recommended this blog last time I was in Paris:

parisbymouth.com.

It's canny for restaurants and what not.

Don't forget to visit the Diana memorial if you get a chance. She would have been 50 this year if it hadn't been for those bastards. :pullhair:

The speed sign?

*guffaw* :)

Hotel looks nice Jamouse, very good central location for walking around too. You'll be pushed to find somewhere cheaper and nicer with the same location, its walking distance from loads of stuff there.

Dont really know much about hotels here as i never use them. I can ask my mate for his best recommendation, he comes over every couple of months and has stayed in loads. You can then compare location and price. However, think you've done well to find that one and if it was me, i'd book it.

If you want a guide for whats on etc i've got loads of links, just let us know.

http://www.gogoparis.com/paris-guide/

thanks for the replies

Okay im booking today

Decided on 1 of these 3

Hotel Louvre Bon Enfants http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-..._de_France.html £92 a night ranked 149 of 1,837 hotels in Paris

Hotel Gramont Opera Paris http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-..._de_France.html £144 a night 4 of 1,837 hotels in Paris

Hotel de Varenne http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-..._de_France.html £120 a night but 12% quidco cashback ;-) ranked 7 of 1,837 hotels in Paris

My preference is Hotel de Varenne however im not sure about the location, it says its right next to the Esplande des invalides. Is that a good central location for walking to Eiffel tower etc?

Edited by JaMoUsE

Invalides is right next to the tower. You're a bit further away from the centre there but Paris isn't that big, it's all walkable. You're closer to trocadero that end but further away from the grands magasins, the marais, st germain, Latin quarter. It's much smaller than London so it's probably much closer together than you think. If you're coming in Jan, it's usually colder than the uk. We had -20 last year.

great location - the Louvre itself is best taken in very small bites - its the National Gallery, the V&A, the British Museum all rolled into one

At night go into the central courtyard and look at the Pyramid -all lit up - magic

Just along the street from you is the Palais Royale - its a big enclosed square garden area - good to let kids run off steam

The Marais area just beyond the Pompidou Centre is a great place to wander - all sort so interesting places and shops and cafes

Slept in the storage room there one night. :pullhair:

Invalides is right next to the tower. You're a bit further away from the centre there but Paris isn't that big, it's all walkable. You're closer to trocadero that end but further away from the grands magasins, the marais, st germain, Latin quarter. It's much smaller than London so it's probably much closer together than you think. If you're coming in Jan, it's usually colder than the uk. We had -20 last year.

Jan is not a good time for Paris. April is best. Best city on earth by a mile that time of year with the season just turning and flickering sunlight returning its embrace to Paris.

Is it worth paying the extra £50 a night for the Hotel Gramont Opera Paris based in the latin quarter? And my travel dates are 18th feb - 20th feb

Edited by JaMoUsE

Is it worth paying the extra £50 a night for the Hotel Gramont Opera Paris based in the latin quarter? And my travel dates are 18th feb - 20th feb

Just kept the cheapest bed you can, you won't be staying in much.

The hotel address on TA is 75002 which is not the Latin quarter, thats 75005.

Tough question, i'm all about the room quality and prefer stylish rooms to a good breakfast or English speaking staff who smile a lot. If location is your main thing then the Bon enfants is just as good (if not better for crossing the river to go to e.g. the Latin quarter) and the rooms looked nice on the website.

Check TA to see if the Bon enfants has good staff and then think whether you'll want wi-fi. With most hotels charging north of 20 notes for wi-fi, that might explain why gaumont opera is more expensive as it's free there.

I can spend hours doing this btw, take me days to choose hotels.

The hotel address on TA is 75002 which is not the Latin quarter, thats 75005.

Tough question, i'm all about the room quality and prefer stylish rooms to a good breakfast or English speaking staff who smile a lot. If location is your main thing then the Bon enfants is just as good (if not better for crossing the river to go to e.g. the Latin quarter) and the rooms looked nice on the website.

Check TA to see if the Bon enfants has good staff and then think whether you'll want wi-fi. With most hotels charging north of 20 notes for wi-fi, that might explain why gaumont opera is more expensive as it's free there.

I can spend hours doing this btw, take me days to choose hotels.

I can just imagine you poncing it up. :pullhair: Don't forget the moleskin loafers.

If you want somewhere clean and tidy to sleep at very reasonable prices use TIM Hotels - they have a a couple of dozen small hotels scattered across the city

http://www.timhotel.com/en/home.htm

You wouldn't want to use them other than as a place to sleep and shower - the rooms are tiny but they are clean and very well run and right on the spot

Thanks for the help

Booked Hotel Louvre Bons Enfants as Ive heard its the best location for getting about Paris.

Paid £219 but managed to get 12% cashback on Quidco so only £192. Quite happy with that :pullhair: