keegan to come back

Kid Dynamite

Luque won't do as well as Bellamy, of that I have no doubt whatsover, therefore it's a bad move and money down the plughole.

66929[/snapback]

This coming from the man who has more or less admitted that he thought Dalglish would do a lot better than he did? Wait and see, make your judgement after he's played regularly and 100% fit.

66931[/snapback]

It's made mate, he'll be gone in less than 2 years for half what we paid for him, at the most

66935[/snapback]

Perhaps he will. I seriously don't know, but I'm willing to give him a crack at it, which is more than what you appear to be doing.

He plays for Newcastle United - he gets my full support..

66980[/snapback]

why do you think he doesn't get mine ? Just because I don't think he's good enough, or will be good enough. What is wrong with that ?

What you are really saying, is that because someone plays for Newcastle, you have to say you think they must be a good player ....

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LM - you truly make some sweeping statements.

Where have i said i was happy with the signing of Luque? i know f**k all about him. Unlike you, who appears to be an expert on his career from school boy to present.

Can't quite get my head around the reason for this attack, but I'm only saying I don't think he will be good enough, and no I don't think there is anything wrong at all with making a quick decision about a footballer.

Owen? I can only remember being worried when we signed him, worried that we couldn't afford it.

Me, happy with the appointment of Dalgleish and Gullit? Well, you didn't ask me at the time so i don't know how you know how i felt about it, and i've answered it already.

See above. My opinion is it is very easy to call the shots with hindsight, and those who knock Shepherd are doing just that, using hindsight. The VAST MAJORITY of Newcastle supporters backed these appointments, if however you didn't, well done for commendable vision.

I'm gonna make a few things REALLY clear for you now:

1) I was happy when SBR took over.

2) I was desperatly unhappy when Souness took over

3) I was happy when Robert left

4) I was unhappy about Bellamy leaving and what appeared to me to be lies told by Souness over the chronology of the incidents that led upto the Arsenal game

5) I wish FS had never hired Souness

6) As Souness is clearly an awful manager, i shocked we signed him and shocked we've allowed him to spend so much money when he's clearly so bad, he can't last in the job

7) IMO you think FS is GREAT and therefore back all his decisions

Now, THAT is a sweeping statement if ever I saw one.

8) I don't

67048[/snapback]

I notice not one person, has taken up my suggestion of listing the premiership chairman who look after their clubs and back their managers better than Shepherd. Not one, including you.

If you are going to say he is so crap, that should be a fairly easy task. The fact that you can't, puts him among the better ones, despite his faults. Now THAT is all I have ever stated, nothing more nothing less.

Is that CLEAR ?

Edited by LeazesMag

Where have i said i was happy with the signing of Luque? i know f**k all about him. Unlike you, who appears to be an expert on his career from school boy to present.

Can't quite get my head around the reason for this attack, but I'm only saying I don't think he will be good enough, and no I don't think there is anything wrong at all with making a quick decision about a footballer.

Owen? I can only remember being worried when we signed him, worried that we couldn't afford it.

Me, happy with the appointment of Dalgleish and Gullit? Well, you didn't ask me at the time so i don't know how you know how i felt about it, and i've answered it already.

See above. My opinion is it is very easy to call the shots with hindsight, and those who knock Shepherd are doing just that, using hindsight. The VAST MAJORITY of Newcastle supporters backed these appointments, if however you didn't, well done for commendable vision.

4) I was unhappy about Bellamy leaving and what appeared to me to be lies told by Souness over the chronology of the incidents that led upto the Arsenal game

6) As Souness is clearly an awful manager, i shocked we signed him and shocked we've allowed him to spend so much money when he's clearly so bad, he can't last in the job

8) I don't

67048[/snapback]

I notice not one person, has taken up my suggestion of listing the premiership chairman who look after their clubs and back their managers better than Shepherd. Not one, including you.

If you are going to say he is so crap, that should be a fairly easy task. The fact that you can't, puts him among the better ones, despite his faults. Now THAT is all I have ever stated, nothing more nothing less.

Is that CLEAR ?

67092[/snapback]

I'm not taking credit for not being happy about the appointments of Dalgleish & Gullit because i'm not due any, i wasn't old enough to know the 1st thing about them.

I don't know much about other Chairman and even then a comparison is irrelevant to me, but to try and help the debate:

Abromavich

Kenyon (I think he was Manure's chairman)

Gibson

The Wigan fella

Rick Parry

Dein (Arsenal?)

Walker (When alive)

8) I don't

67048[/snapback]

Is that CLEAR ?

67092[/snapback]

I'm not taking credit for not being happy about the appointments of Dalgleish & Gullit because i'm not due any, i wasn't old enough to know the 1st thing about them.

I don't know much about other Chairman and even then a comparison is irrelevant to me, but to try and help the debate:

Abromavich

Gibson

The Wigan fella

Rick Parry

Dein (Arsenal?)

Walker (When alive)

67103[/snapback]

Take out Walker [because he's gone], and Kenyon [as he's at Chelsea now with Abramovic and was manu's chief executive [which we dont' have, and would benefit from having] and I'd pretty much go along with that.

So if you look at it, it puts Shepherd in the top 3rd, with many others worse. Not so bad, is it.

I know he has faults, he opens his fat gob, and says stupid things, overall though if the team was winning not a single one of us would give a toss about any of this.

His football knowledge isn't as good as some of us on here, but he's still backed his managers massively, I just want him to get lucky and choose the right manager next time, because he'll be given the same support as the others. Thats all I've ever said. Along with the fact that we could do a lot, lot worse, which we could, take a look at other clubs ie Everton, Leeds who campaigned for a new chairman and they are no better off at all in fact worse. Throw in the likes of Villa, Mackems, West Ham, Portsmouth - those clubs would kill to have a chairman like Shepherd. Even Birmingham and Fulham have chairmen far richer than Shepherd but they don;t back their manager in the same way.

Edited by LeazesMag

8) I don't

67048[/snapback]

Is that CLEAR ?

67092[/snapback]

Abromavich

Gibson

The Wigan fella

Rick Parry

Dein (Arsenal?)

Walker (When alive)

67103[/snapback]

Take out Walker [because he's gone], and Kenyon [as he's at Chelsea now with Abramovic and was manu's chief executive [which we dont' have, and would benefit from having] and I'd pretty much go along with that.

So if you look at it, it puts Shepherd in the top 3rd, with many others worse. Not so bad, is it.

I know he has faults, he opens his fat gob, and says stupid things, overall though if the team was winning not a single one of us would give a toss about any of this.

His football knowledge isn't as good as some of us on here, but he's still backed his managers massively, I just want him to get lucky and choose the right manager next time, because he'll be given the same support as the others. Thats all I've ever said. Along with the fact that we could do a lot, lot worse, which we could, take a look at other clubs ie Everton, Leeds who campaigned for a new chairman and they are no better off at all in fact worse. Throw in the likes of Villa, Mackems, West Ham, Portsmouth - those clubs would kill to have a chairman like Shepherd. Even Birmingham and Fulham have chairmen far richer than Shepherd but they don;t back their manager in the same way.

67107[/snapback]

But surely a chairman can only give to the manager whatever disposable income the club makes?

NUFC is fairly wealthy club and so has a decent transfer budget. If Doug Ellis had our resources wouldn't he make the same amount of money available?

If FS is directly responsible for us being wealthy then i commend him, but to allow Dalgleish to spend through the summer and then sack him? Same as Gullit, same as SBR. Surely for him then to allow Souness to spend as much as he has is a little frightening. I can't see Souness lasting beyond the summer, if we get someone other than Shearer, won't they want their 'own team'? How bad are our accounts gonna be with this outlay and NO chance of a top 4 finish with this monkey in charge?

I WANT Souness to be very successful here, i WANT FS to retire a very happy man with NUFC winning trophies under his leadership. The fact people say FS has no football knowledge is damning, how can you run a business when you don't know the industry? When you can't make good judgements over critical appointments?

I'm pessimistic but i hope to be proved very, very wrong so we can all come on here and try and out do each other for superlatives that describe our play rather than argue with each other 'cause we're shite and we know we are.

8) I don't

67048[/snapback]

Is that CLEAR ?

67092[/snapback]

Abromavich

Gibson

The Wigan fella

Rick Parry

Dein (Arsenal?)

Walker (When alive)

67103[/snapback]

67107[/snapback]

But surely a chairman can only give to the manager whatever disposable income the club makes?

NUFC is fairly wealthy club and so has a decent transfer budget. If Doug Ellis had our resources wouldn't he make the same amount of money available?

If FS is directly responsible for us being wealthy then i commend him, but to allow Dalgleish to spend through the summer and then sack him? Same as Gullit, same as SBR. Surely for him then to allow Souness to spend as much as he has is a little frightening. I can't see Souness lasting beyond the summer, if we get someone other than Shearer, won't they want their 'own team'? How bad are our accounts gonna be with this outlay and NO chance of a top 4 finish with this monkey in charge?

I WANT Souness to be very successful here, i WANT FS to retire a very happy man with NUFC winning trophies under his leadership. The fact people say FS has no football knowledge is damning, how can you run a business when you don't know the industry? When you can't make good judgements over critical appointments?

I'm pessimistic but i hope to be proved very, very wrong so we can all come on here and try and out do each other for superlatives that describe our play rather than argue with each other 'cause we're shite and we know we are.

67137[/snapback]

Newcastle United haven't always been a wealthy club, but they have always been a potentially wealthy club.

30 years of decay and mackem standard status in the game, previous to 1992, proves the point we were competing on a similar level, almost, as the mackems.

During that period, Aston Villa won the League Cup, League title and the European Cup. They were bigger than us, although not potentially.

We are wealthy now, because the club under Sir John Hall, on the back of getting the manager right, incorporated new ideas and fresh ambition, while Villa under Doug Ellis have stagnated due to him lacking this ambition.

Simple as that really. Some chairman are afraid to speculate to accumulate, even some of those at big clubs, since 1992 we haven't been afraid to do that, thus capitilising on our support. It's easy to say that previous to 1992 we could have competed at the same level we do now, because that support has alwasy been there waiting to be tapped, but we just didn't, because we had pygmy directors like Ellis and Bob Murray.

No one doubts that Shepherd sacked Dalglish at a stupid time, having given him cash to spend, I totally agree. The same with Gullitt [but then again I was never happy with Gullit], the same as Bobby Robson. Having said that, no one cared about the timing of Gullitts sacking because he got the right man to replace him, this is what is important, getting the right man, if you do that there is no such thing as bad timing. The only thing in Shepherds defence is that he gave Dalglish money hoping something would change, then when it was obvious nothing would, he acted. Same as the other managers. Unfortunately, he isn't repeating this process with the current clown.

I think Shepherd knows how to run a football club alright, he just has tunnel vision when it comes to choosing managers. All of them appointed for short term reactionary reasons. We can't get rid of him, I just hope he gets the next one right, he may find that if he gets it wrong again, he would come under more pressure, even people like me who support him for the reasons stated may run out of patience with him for not listening to those of us who know better than he does.

The fact people say FS has no football knowledge is damning, how can you run a business when you don't know the industry?

67137[/snapback]

You're ignoring the business side of the football business there, the industry itself isn't really about football, he's a good business man, and that should not be underestimated. Really the only thing a chairman needs to know about football is which manager to hire and when to fire. I think if he had a football savvy chief executive they could be the best pair in the premiership.

this is what is important, getting the right man, if you do that there is no such thing as bad timing

Totally agree with that myself.

You're ignoring the business side of the football business there, the industry itself isn't really about football, he's a good business man, and that should not be underestimated. Really the only thing a chairman needs to know about football is which manager to hire and when to fire. I think if he had a football savvy chief executive they could be the best pair in the premiership.

Your right, i was, and i agree with rest 'an all.

Chairmen are meant to be bastards. 'Boro come along with a poncy, caring chairman and suddenly Shepherd isn't good enough for Craig. :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:

67024[/snapback]

Suddenly? ;)

He never has been good enough - his latest faux pas is the failure to get Given's contract sorted out. If he leaves, the chairman has a huge slice of responsiblity IMO.

Luque won't do as well as Bellamy, of that I have no doubt whatsover, therefore it's a bad move and money down the plughole.

66929[/snapback]

This coming from the man who has more or less admitted that he thought Dalglish would do a lot better than he did? Wait and see, make your judgement after he's played regularly and 100% fit.

66931[/snapback]

It's made mate, he'll be gone in less than 2 years for half what we paid for him, at the most

66935[/snapback]

Perhaps he will. I seriously don't know, but I'm willing to give him a crack at it, which is more than what you appear to be doing.

He plays for Newcastle United - he gets my full support..

66980[/snapback]

why do you think he doesn't get mine ? Just because I don't think he's good enough, or will be good enough. What is wrong with that ?

What you are really saying, is that because someone plays for Newcastle, you have to say you think they must be a good player ....

67090[/snapback]

You miss the point again.

I don't know if he's good enough - neither do you though. Time will tell.

What I am definitely not saying is that ridiculous statement you've just made up I can only imagine to destroy any debate. If that was the case, why the hell have I stated that I think Faye, Butt, Boumsong, etc are not good enough?

Supporting a player and thinking that their good enough are two seperate issues.

8) I don't

67048[/snapback]

Is that CLEAR ?

67092[/snapback]

Here we go with comparisons again.....

Leazes, if every chairman in the Football League was shitter than Freddy Shepherd (which IMO they're not), he still wouldn't be good enough for Newcastle United.

Measuring the qualities of someone's ability can and should be done without comparing them to others...

For the record, I think:

Hill Wood (Arsenal)

Moores (Liverpool)

Buck (Chelsea)

Glazer (Man Utd)

Gibson (Boro)

Levy (Spurs)

Whelan (Wigan)

All do a better job of managing their clubs (I don't mean simpily financially) than Freddy Shepherd does.

The fact people say FS has no football knowledge is damning, how can you run a business when you don't know the industry?

67137[/snapback]

67220[/snapback]

It happens all over the place. 4 years ago, my company appointed an IT Applications Manager with no IT experience on the basis that he was a successful Management Consultant for Coopers & Lybrand.

While he had excellent management skills, he was fucking hopeless in the role as he didn't understand the industry he was working in and therefore had no appreciation for the unavoidable constraints which delayed project work and therefore left him with egg on his face when his unrealistic promises (which he'd never OK'd with us) failed to be met...

He lasted a little over 2 years before being made redundant in a department re-shuffle...

8) I don't

67048[/snapback]

Is that CLEAR ?

67092[/snapback]

Leazes, if every chairman in the Football League was shitter than Freddy Shepherd (which IMO they're not), he still wouldn't be good enough for Newcastle United.

Measuring the qualities of someone's ability can and should be done without comparing them to others...

For the record, I think:

Hill Wood (Arsenal)

Moores (Liverpool)

Buck (Chelsea)

Glazer (Man Utd)

Gibson (Boro)

Levy (Spurs)

Whelan (Wigan)

All do a better job of managing their clubs (I don't mean simpily financially) than Freddy Shepherd does.

67374[/snapback]

I'm sure Leazes has repeatedly said (and I agree) that the limited supply of suitable replacements for Souness is not an acceptable reason for keeping him in the job. Surely the same applies to Shepherd.

8) I don't

67048[/snapback]

Is that CLEAR ?

67092[/snapback]

For the record, I think:

Hill Wood (Arsenal)

Moores (Liverpool)

Buck (Chelsea)

Glazer (Man Utd)

Gibson (Boro)

Levy (Spurs)

Whelan (Wigan)

67374[/snapback]

I'm sure Leazes has repeatedly said (and I agree) that the limited supply of suitable replacements for Souness is not an acceptable reason for keeping him in the job. Surely the same applies to Shepherd.

67384[/snapback]

I have, and I agree [this is an answer to craig too], however the main difference is we can't get rid of Shepherd ........ he isn't sackable, and while we could easily do a lot worse than Shepherd, we couldn't do much worse than Souness, who to be honest for my money is someone I would never have considered, full stop.

My sig isn't for nothing.

I agree as well...

However Leazes seems to think for some reason that Shepherd IS doing a good job... ;)

67458[/snapback]

question for you Craig, seeing as you can't name too many you would prefer to Shepherd.

How do you rate this lot :

Westwood

Seymour

McKeag

Forbes

SJH

Shepherd

and this little lot

Ken Bates

Doug Ellis

Bob Murray

Milan Mandrovic [whatever his name is]

Rupert Lowe

? Brown [West Ham]

Peter Ridsdale

Mohammed Fayed

? [Everton]

? Gould [those 2 blokes at Birmingham]

Delia Smith

Sam Haman [Cardiff]

Freddie Shepherd

.... to name the more high profile ones .......

Sweet f*cking Jesus, I wish I was as right as LM all of the time.

Right about Ardiles (before he'd took charge of 1 game)

Right about Ameobi (after one game)

Right about Faye (after a game and a half)

Right about Souness (TBC) (before a ball was kicked)

I really do like his mentality applying to other people (OMG HATE BELLAMY, BACK SOUNESS)

I wish all life was as black and white as this ;)

I really do like his mentality applying to other people (OMG HATE BELLAMY, BACK SOUNESS)

67599[/snapback]

you are pretty damn correct mate.

I think predictions, or judgement like these, are pretty basic. They are all easy and obvious, unless you wear rose tinted specs

PS. You forgot Kluivert

Edited by LeazesMag

8) I don't

67048[/snapback]

Is that CLEAR ?

67092[/snapback]

For the record, I think:

Hill Wood (Arsenal)

Moores (Liverpool)

Buck (Chelsea)

Glazer (Man Utd)

Gibson (Boro)

Levy (Spurs)

Whelan (Wigan)

67374[/snapback]

67384[/snapback]

I have, and I agree [this is an answer to craig too], however the main difference is we can't get rid of Shepherd ........ he isn't sackable, and while we could easily do a lot worse than Shepherd, we couldn't do much worse than Souness, who to be honest for my money is someone I would never have considered, full stop.

My sig isn't for nothing.

67518[/snapback]

Your sig has nothing to do with Shepherd! ;)

I agree as well...

However Leazes seems to think for some reason that Shepherd IS doing a good job... ;)

67458[/snapback]

question for you Craig, seeing as you can't name too many you would prefer to Shepherd.

How do you rate this lot :

Westwood

Seymour

McKeag

Forbes

SJH

Shepherd

and this little lot

Ken Bates

Doug Ellis

Bob Murray

Milan Mandrovic [whatever his name is]

Rupert Lowe

? Brown [West Ham]

Peter Ridsdale

Mohammed Fayed

? [Everton]

? Gould [those 2 blokes at Birmingham]

Delia Smith

Sam Haman [Cardiff]

Freddie Shepherd

.... to name the more high profile ones .......

67520[/snapback]

Why are you listing past Newcastle chairmen and chairpersons of other clubs?

Shepherd is still shite IMO - saying he's not as shit as x, y or z is not going to make him better IMO.

67599[/snapback]

you are pretty damn correct mate.

I think predictions, or judgement like these, are pretty basic. They are all easy and obvious, unless you wear rose tinted specs

PS. You forgot Kluivert

67605[/snapback]

I think it's ok to have an opinion on whether someone will be any good for NUFC just as long as one can be flexible enough to change one's mind in light of some contrary evidence (if any appears). I, for example, don't think Ramage will make a very good defender, or even a good one, but i'm open to be proved wrong.

I let my overwhelming desire for Kluivert to do well divert me from the fact that he wasn't.

At the time i let my serious dislike of Souness (as a manager) completely side with Bellamy over their falling out. Tbh, i'm indecisive now, Bellars should NEVER have called whoever the manager was a FUCKING PRICK in front of everyone, although i'm not sure he really said it to anyone but himself at the time.

At the end of the day, shepherd has overseen the club, whether well or not, but he has supported whichever manager we have had here and has prevented us doing a financial implosion, at least the business side of him has kept us in a comfortable financial situation, i mean look at Leeds, they spent a fortune on the basis they would have qualified for the champions league every year and they just went belly up.....

lucky not to have dropped 2 or three leagues at least we have budgeted each year on realistic targets and hopefully buidt up a good financial base to continue in this cut throat world of football..

Edited by skhwoody