keegan to come back

Kid Dynamite

I firmly believe that just about anyone (excl Monkeys heed) would be bettter than what we've currently got.

Maybe if Keegan came in and took over with Shearer until the end of the season then went into another role within the club. Let Al stand in the firing line with the press/tv etc (he handles himself well) whilst keegan helps out behind the scenes as imo he knows a good player when he sees one and has definitely made more good than bad signings.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I firmly believe that just about anyone (excl Monkeys heed) would be bettter than what we've currently got.

Maybe if Keegan came in and took over with Shearer until the end of the season then went into another role within the club. Let Al stand in the firing line with the press/tv etc (he handles himself well) whilst keegan helps out behind the scenes as imo he knows a good player when he sees one and has definitely made more good than bad signings.

64319[/snapback]

If we're not going for a foreign chap, i beileve this could be a decent idea. I would love to see KK back at the club in some capacity and i'm pretty damn sure between him and Shearer we would play a damn site better football than under the useless twat currently at the helm.

I think im the odd one out here. I couldnt think of anything worse than having him back. the best it will acheive is tarnishing his original time here.

The premier league is a different place now than it was in 1995, if we had the team we had then, now, we would be bottom half of the table at best. teams like chelsea and arsenal would have ripped apart barton, elliot, beresford, albert etc.

its no secret keegan is defensively inept as a manager and favours all out attack. its also no secret that out current team needs its defence sorting out desperately if we are going to start climbing the table.

ignoring what he did here in the 90s, his record at fulham, england and man city is on a par with glenn hoddles at england, spurs and southampton. and there would be hell on if he was rumoured to be coming here!!!

ignoring what he did here in the 90s, his record at fulham, england and man city is on a par with glenn hoddles at england, spurs and southampton. and there would be hell on if he was rumoured to be coming here!!!

64339[/snapback]

Biggest load of shite I've read in ages. Aye, because Hoddle laid down the foundations for Southampton to climb the Leagues into to the Premiership while he won Spurs promotion into the Premiership, kept them there and left a solid foundation for, err, who???

KK helped shape Fulham into the side they are today, a decent Premiership outfit. Not bad considering they were a second Division club under KK. At Man City he took them up, kept them there and left them in such a healthy state, Pearce, a mere rookie, is doing wonders.

As for you line about the 95/96 side finishing mid-table in today's game, more crap. Give me that team over the one we have today and even the team Man Utd and Arsenal have today.

Lets just remember that team, Shearer, Sir Les, Ginola, Beardsley, Rob lee, Asprilla, Albert, Beresford (best left-back we've had for many a year), Clark, Watson, Elliott (all better youngsters than some of the ones we have today), Gillespie... need I go on?

That team conceded 38 goals in a 42 game calender, that's when the Premiership was much more open, more attack orientated. Arsenal when they went unbeaten that year conceded 42 goals and they had a "mean defence" apparently.

Keegan has left every club in great shape, far better than when he took over. He's a miracle worker and he's nowhere near as bad as some make out. I mean, he was the first modern manager in the UK, he did back then what others are just doing now. When he took over Newcastle, some of his methods were revolutionary and his style of management was unlike any before him.

He's better than Big Sam, Moyes, Curbishley and all the other names being bandied about that's for sure.

Having said that, we need a Hitzfeld not a KK, but lets not degenerate KK as some crap manager eh?

I think im the odd one out here. I couldnt think of anything worse than having him back. the best it will acheive is tarnishing his original time here.

The premier league is a different place now than it was in 1995, if we had the team we had then, now, we would be bottom half of the table at best. teams like chelsea and arsenal would have ripped apart barton, elliot, beresford, albert etc.

its no secret keegan is defensively inept as a manager and favours all out attack. its also no secret that out current team needs its defence sorting out desperately if we are going to start climbing the table.

64339[/snapback]

don't agree with the bold at all. The first players Keegan bought at Newcastle were all defenders ie Venison, Beresford, Kilcline, Bracewell. They were the springboard to the success that followed. He is a positive thinking manager but knows the value of a good defence. Statistically the defensive record we had in 1996 of 37 goals conceded in 38 games [manu conceded 35] shows there is basis in his philosophy, and belies the myth that the defence was poor. It was quite simply a team that played to its strengths.

We may have lost 2 high profile games on TV after being in the lead but we also won many more by scoring the 2nd goal that sealed it that weren't on TV.

We will climb the table quickly if motivation, belief and more positive attitude and team shape is instilled at the club, and by that I mean also players who aren't being fed a diet of excuses to hide behind when they lose games and/or perform poorly.

But this is the Souness way of doing things, it was pointed out by myself and others ages ago.

I also don't agree the premiership is better than it was 10 years ago. The team we had then would still challenge for the title now, playing the way they did. Outside the top 3, there is Liverpool then the rest. The rest is the lowest standard of football I have seen in years, and shows how far we have gone backwards in 15 months.

Edited by LeazesMag

I think the only difference in the Premiership from 10 years ago is that we now have a club with literally a bottomless pit of money and as a result, they have the abilty to ensure they stay* ahead of the rest.

* - I say stay as I think the foundations for Chelsea's sucess (Terry, Lampard) were laid before Abramovich came on the scene.

64339[/snapback]

Biggest load of shite I've read in ages. Aye, because Hoddle laid down the foundations for Southampton to climb the Leagues into to the Premiership while he won Spurs promotion into the Premiership, kept them there and left a solid foundation for, err, who???

KK helped shape Fulham into the side they are today, a decent Premiership outfit. Not bad considering they were a second Division club under KK. At Man City he took them up, kept them there and left them in such a healthy state, Pearce, a mere rookie, is doing wonders.

As for you line about the 95/96 side finishing mid-table in today's game, more crap. Give me that team over the one we have today and even the team Man Utd and Arsenal have today.

Lets just remember that team, Shearer, Sir Les, Ginola, Beardsley, Rob lee, Asprilla, Albert, Beresford (best left-back we've had for many a year), Clark, Watson, Elliott (all better youngsters than some of the ones we have today), Gillespie... need I go on?

That team conceded 38 goals in a 42 game calender, that's when the Premiership was much more open, more attack orientated. Arsenal when they went unbeaten that year conceded 42 goals and they had a "mean defence" apparently.

Keegan has left every club in great shape, far better than when he took over. He's a miracle worker and he's nowhere near as bad as some make out. I mean, he was the first modern manager in the UK, he did back then what others are just doing now. When he took over Newcastle, some of his methods were revolutionary and his style of management was unlike any before him.

He's better than Big Sam, Moyes, Curbishley and all the other names being bandied about that's for sure.

Having said that, we need a Hitzfeld not a KK, but lets not degenerate KK as some crap manager eh?

64340[/snapback]

So put that in your pipe and smoke it, well said HT :icon_lol:

64339[/snapback]

64340[/snapback]

better than them all put together

As for a fruitcake like Hoddle ....

I wouldn't call 3rd, 6th and 2nd mid table positions. Nice to see all our managers since the 1920's have fairly easily beat that

The 1996 team would wipe the floor with just as many teams now as they did then

The 1995-96 team would be only second to Chelsea in my opinion, far better balanced than any of the other sides though, more potent in attack and better defensively.

That side would crush most of the dour, negative, rabble that infest the League today. Amazing comments there by J69.

Edited by Howaythetoon

When Keegan was at Newcastle, I honestly thought we had found our Shankly, who would create a dynasty that would win cups and keep the club at the top for decades, or a long time. I had supported this club for almost 30 years waiting for what I thought was going to happen.

The fact that the club changed direction, and caused us to lose him, is the biggest tragedy for all of us, as Newcastle fans.

To make a cold judgement on it, he fits Newcastle, he has never been the same since he left, he may just re-kindle himself again and I would consider that to be a far better gamble than a million other possible combinations that we could all think of.

In a twist of irony though, the KK 'dynasty' was brought to an end by consortium of greedy businessmen who were more focused on floating the club on the stock exchange, than ensuring that success by continuity occurred.

IMO, from a footballing POV, the club has never been the same, or successful and I think it's as a direct coincidence.

One of the members of that consortium? The very man who hired Graeme Souness........Frederick Shepherd esq.

In a twist of irony though, the KK 'dynasty' was brought to an end by consortium of greedy businessmen who were more focused on floating the club on the stock exchange, than ensuring that success by continuity occurred.

IMO, from a footballing POV, the club has never been the same, or successful and I think it's as a direct coincidence.

One of the members of that consortium? The very man who hired Graeme Souness........Frederick Shepherd esq.

64401[/snapback]

Keegan may still have misjudged the situation though, if he thought it would have effected managerial control and ambition of the club, as we have continued to outspend everyone bar manu and recently Chelsea since he left.

And no, I'm not disagreeing, going PLC isn't the proper way to run a football club I do think it is better kept private.

By all accounts, some bookies are taking bets on several mangers all returning to former clubs all before Xmas.

As follows:

Souness to return to Rangers

Keegan to return to Newcastle

Redknapp to return to Portsmouth

Hoddle to return to Southampton

By all accounts, some bookies are taking bets on several mangers all returning to former clubs all before Xmas.

As follows:

64409[/snapback]

All I want for xmas is .......

As follows:

64409[/snapback]

64412[/snapback]

Craig Bellamy in a racy little number?

:icon_lol:

As follows:

64409[/snapback]

64412[/snapback]

B)

64417[/snapback]

Those teeth would really scrape, though... :icon_lol:

As follows:

64409[/snapback]

64412[/snapback]

B)

64417[/snapback]

not an option

It would be extremely interesting if Keegan returned, and the u-turners did another u-turn

and even better if

he signed Craig Bellamy [another u-turn]

as he is most definitely Keegans type of player.

Not that Keegans judgement, and motivation and managerial skills, of a footballer can stand up against Souness' though

:icon_lol:

64401[/snapback]

Keegan may still have misjudged the situation though, if he thought it would have effected managerial control and ambition of the club, as we have continued to outspend everyone bar manu and recently Chelsea since he left.

And no, I'm not disagreeing, going PLC isn't the proper way to run a football club I do think it is better kept private.

64406[/snapback]

Mind you, in saying all that, KK wanted out of NUFC regardless didn't he? He only left when he did because the fat-cats couldn't float the club with a team manager who wasn't going to commit to the club.

Fucking disgrace making it a PLC. Had we not, we'd never have sold Sir Les in the summer of 1997, I'm convinced of it! The worst sale in the 23 years I've followed this club IMO only challenged by the equally baffling sale of Paul Goddard to Derby in 1988 (in my eyes what cost us our 1st Division status).

If KK came back, I think it would only be in some co-operative role with Shearer.

As much as CB might be a Keegan-type player, I can't see the Welshman back at this club as long as Shearer (or Shepherd for that matter) has anything to do with it.

The biggest mistake Bellamy made was to get on the wrong side of Shearer IMO. Up until that point, the door was open for him to return - deep down, we all knew Souness wouldn't last forever and that the bridges, whilst damaged, were still standing...

Not any more though.

There is no doubt KK turned this club in spectacular fashion and that it was the greatest time in recent memory to be an NUFC fan. In our current plight I'm so desperate I'd take him back, but there's no chance of him coming back while Douggie Hall is still here.

64401[/snapback]

IIRC Keegan said in his biography that Fat Fred was the only one who was supporting him until the end... or something along the lines. I'll have to look it up.