anti-matter

tooner

Spongebob junior (f) tells me the truly exciting aspect of this is the length of the time the anti-matter was trapped for. Then she started babbling along the lines of electrons protons n to the minus yadda yadda yadda - wow do you have any idea how important this is. I have a pretty good understanding of this stuff, but it is quite disconcerting how little I know compared to my daughter.

It's amazing to me how people can not only think this is a waste of time, but to have such confidence in their ignorance that they would think they were clever to parade their stupidty as a badge of honour.

I think we are living in exciting times here, it seems we might be approaching a real leap in understanding

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how the thread has been hijacked by the intellectual elite :lol: and that they then spend more time attacking those questioning the importance of the news rather than actually getting involved in the topic itself. :lol:

As interesting as this news may be for Particle physics professors, the bottom line is that its all about trying to understand the scarcity of antimatter in the universe rather than a pre cursor to some great new invention, as clearly communicated by all involved in the experiments.

I will happily sit back and watch with interest as the the Brains of the forum discuss spongebobs final sentence......

I think we are living in exciting times here, it seems we might be approaching a real leap in understanding

I love how the thread has been hijacked by the intellectual elite :lol: and that they then spend more time attacking those questioning the importance of the news rather than actually getting involved in the topic itself. :lol:

As interesting as this news may be for Particle physics professors, the bottom line is that its all about trying to understand the scarcity of antimatter in the universe rather than a pre cursor to some great new invention, as clearly communicated by all involved in the experiments.

I will happily sit back and watch with interest as the the Brains of the forum discuss spongebobs final sentence......

i completely agree with SB, i think that we are at the cusp of something, they now have material to study that has never before been available....

....and they're gonna shoot em with :lol: lasers.

She's your Mams sister.

That's why anti-matters.

I'll get me coat :lol:

surprised it took you this long... :lol:

i completely agree with SB, i think that we are at the cusp of something, they now have material to study that has never before been available....

For the love of god, stop acting like a cock teasing virgin and just tell us what you think it is we are on the cusp of........ :lol:

:lol::lol:

She's your Mams sister.

That's why anti-matters.

I'll get me coat :lol:

surprised it took you this long... :lol:

I posted it next week, but fell through a worm hole.…

…erm, string theory.…

…make it so?

…Padawan.

For the love of god, stop acting like a cock teasing virgin and just tell us what you think it is we are on the cusp of........ :lol:

let me check my crystal ball..... :lol:

what is so difficult about this? we now have a piece of the puzzle (the physics puzzle) that we never had, we can now study this piece and learn from it.

i'm not an astro-physicist (nor do I play one on TV) but it looks to me as if science is poised to make some significant discoveries based on this newly available information

I can't wait to hear what the whistleblower in Leazes' pub has had to say against anti-matter the neet.

"That bloody antipasto,coming over here and taking our scientists, you can't see it mind, it's too cowardly to show it's face, not like our Brave British Matter.

I used to vacuum the breadcrumbs out of Freddie's cock crease you know, now that's life experience!"

I just finished studying this crap in my higher school physics. Of course we didn't go very deep into it only learning about the standard model of matter as such but this would most likely make my physics teacher jizz. Great discovery and only the tip of the iceberg as someone else said.

what is so difficult about this? we now have a piece of the puzzle (the physics puzzle) that we never had, we can now study this piece and learn from it.

i'm not an astro-physicist (nor do I play one on TV) but it looks to me as if science is poised to make some significant discoveries based on this newly available information

Your doing it again :lol:

I can't wait to hear what the whistleblower in Leazes' pub has had to say against anti-matter the neet.

"That bloody antipasto,coming over here and taking our scientists, you can't see it mind, it's too cowardly to show it's face, not like our Brave British Matter.

I used to vacuum the breadcrumbs out of Freddie's cock crease you know, now that's life experience!"

:lol:

I just finished studying this crap in my higher school physics. Of course we didn't go very deep into it only learning about the standard model of matter as such but this would most likely make my physics teacher jizz. Great discovery and only the tip of the iceberg as someone else said.

There all it now :lol:

Sometimes CT you really do come across as an idiot, you are actually using the word intellectual as an insult.

That really is quality shite you are posting there. I readily admit my ignorance of the subject, but I would be happy to wager I have a better understanding than you. You however already understand the "bottom line" Its clearly communicated the "whole point" of this is to understand the scarcity of ant-matter. You should probably just ring directory enquiries, ask for CERN, and tell them all to go home.

What the fuck does that even mean?

Its bad to have a brain?

If I personally can't tell you how a particle physics experiment at the cutting edge of scientific understanding in Switzerland will impact your ability to bullshit a passenger while driving your cab we should call a halt to all scientific research as waste of time?

Or you already know that this particular avenue of research is a dead end and we should be looking elsewhere to expand our knowledge of the universe?

do tell

what exactly am i doing? you want me to predict the future? :lol:

Sometimes CT you really do come across as an idiot, you are actually using the word intellectual as an insult.

That really is quality shite you are posting there. I readily admit my ignorance of the subject, but I would be happy to wager I have a better understanding than you. You however already understand the "bottom line" Its clearly communicated the "whole point" of this is to understand the scarcity of ant-matter. You should probably just ring directory enquiries, ask for CERN, and tell them all to go home.

Its bad to have a brain?

If I personally can't tell you how a particle physics experiment at the cutting edge of scientific understanding in Switzerland will impact your ability to bullshit a passenger while driving your cab we should call a halt to all scientific research as waste of time?

Or you already know that this particular avenue of research is a dead end and we should be looking elsewhere to expand our knowledge of the universe?

do tell

Breathtaking post really... Where to start.

In the beginning.......some of us tried to get out of tooner why this was such a big deal. We were ignorant and happily admitted it.

Others came along dissing our ignorance and using phrases like yours such as

and

science is poised to make some significant discoveries

and

only the tip of the iceberg

Having read up via the links tooner provided and elsewhere, it is pretty clear that this is all to do with theory rather than the next electricity.....

With regard to the"bottom line" comment, that is what the scientist involved have said, not me, its all about trying to figure out where anti matter fucked off too during the big bang.

Bit too much misplaced intellectual snobbery on here at times.

I dont know how to put this any clearer. When you say things like " it looks to me as if science is poised to make some significant discoveries", expand on what YOU think that means.

No one connected with this at cern is talking in that way, nor are any of the journalists covering the story that I have read. They are all talking about this as one step in a chain of events that one day might help science understand where anti matter went.

Its bad to have a brain?

do tell

In the beginning.......some of us tried to get out of tooner why this was such a big deal. We were ignorant and happily admitted it.

and

and

Having read up via the links tooner provided and elsewhere, it is pretty clear that this is all to do with theory rather than the next electricity.....

With regard to the"bottom line" comment, that is what the scientist involved have said, not me, its all about trying to figure out where anti matter fucked off too during the big bang.

Another load of bollocks CT and you know it.

You "and others" didn't try to get why it was a big deal, you just revelled in your stupidity and tried to mock the "intellectuals"(I notice you use that word as an insult again)because we couldn't tell you how this research would make your frying pan easier to clean or our cab cheaper to run or whatever.

I have no idea what this research might lead to, lets have a look at my comment which you found so risible

I think.. I don't claim to know like you do, that we might be approaching a lap in understanding.

Fuck me to tears I'm really putting on the line there. Scientific research that I don't claim to understand, might be approaching a change in how we perceive and understand the universe.

Intellectual snobbery of the worst kind there.

Bah... I don't know why I've let myself get sucked in by you. Enjoy being an idiot - it suits you

Its bad to have a brain?

do tell

and

and

Another load of bollocks CT and you know it.

You "and others" didn't try to get why it was a big deal, you just revelled in your stupidity and tried to mock the "intellectuals"(I notice you use that word as an insult again)because we couldn't tell you how this research would make your frying pan easier to clean or our cab cheaper to run or whatever.

I have no idea what this research might lead to, lets have a look at my comment which you found so risible

I think.. I don't claim to know like you do, that we might be approaching a lap in understanding.

Fuck me to tears I'm really putting on the line there. Scientific research that I don't claim to understand, might be approaching a change in how we perceive and understand the universe.

Intellectual snobbery of the worst kind there.

Bah... I don't know why I've let myself get sucked in by you. Enjoy being an idiot - it suits you :lol:

Edited by Christmas Tree

I dont know how to put this any clearer. When you say things like " it looks to me as if science is poised to make some significant discoveries", expand on what YOU think that means.

No one connected with this at cern is talking in that way, nor are any of the journalists covering the story that I have read. They are all talking about this as one step in a chain of events that one day might help science understand where anti matter went.

well for starters....

"For us it's a big breakthrough because it means we can take the next step, which is to try to compare matter and antimatter," the team's spokesman, American scientist Jeffrey Hangst, told The Associated Press on Thursday

or....

Studying such trapped atoms could help answer basic questions in physics, like why antimatter has disappeared from the natural universe while ordinary matter abounds in the stars, planets and galaxies. Theorists say both must have been created in equal amounts in the Big Bang.

i think you may be being a little insecure, i'm not trying to sound intellectually superior, i find this interesting because antimatter has been nothing but theory until recently, and then getting it to hang around long enough to study it was not possible. now it is.

so now that they can study it and experiment with it, i think that fundamental questions about the universe like 'why if the big bang produced x amount of energy is there only evidence of x-z amount of mass within the universe (z being the amount of matter in the universe)'

and fwiw i think scientists at cern are pretty fucking stoked that they've been able to do this and might be playing with their cards close to their chests so as to not tip off any competition to what it is they are studying.

anyway, that's why i'm excited about it....hope that clears it up for you.... :lol:

Edited by tooner

well for starters....

"For us it's a big breakthrough because it means we can take the next step, which is to try to compare matter and antimatter," the team's spokesman, American scientist Jeffrey Hangst, told The Associated Press on Thursday

or....

Studying such trapped atoms could help answer basic questions in physics, like why antimatter has disappeared from the natural universe while ordinary matter abounds in the stars, planets and galaxies. Theorists say both must have been created in equal amounts in the Big Bang.

i think you may be being a little insecure, i'm not trying to sound intellectually superior, i find this interesting because antimatter has been nothing but theory until recently, and then getting it to hang around long enough to study it was not possible. now it is.

so now that they can study it and experiment with it, i think that fundamental questions about the universe like 'why if the big bang produced x amount of energy is there only evidence of x-z amount of mass within the universe (z being the amount of matter in the universe)'

and fwiw i think scientists at cern are pretty fucking stoked that they've been able to do this and might be playing with their cards close to their chests so as to not tip off any competetion to what it is they are studying.

anyway, that's why i'm excited about it....hope that clears it up for you.... :lol:

Intellectual snobbery at its worst

I don't get this obsession with "practical application". You don't search for the Boson Higgs particle because you think it will bring cheap energy, you search for the Boson Higgs Particle because you don't know where it will take you.

When electrons were found to act like waves and particles, the scientists weren't imagining Eenrgy Saving light bulbs, they were investigating it because they didn't understand and wanted to.

It's not intellectual snobbery to say that "we may be on the cusp of something amazing", However to mock/deride/dismiss scientific investigation is reverse snobbery in the worst way.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure, X-Rays did not have a pratical application when they were first discovered, neither did the scientists have a practical application in mind.

Who knows, anti-matter may very provide a link to teleportation, or they may simply make the toaster have a setting between withering glare and incinerate? To dismiss the discovery of proof that Anti-Matter exists is frankly obscene... If you do, you're the same as the people who insisted the Earth was flat, who believe in creationism and who think Graeme Souness was a good manager.

Again, this isn't intellectual snobbery, I'm not having a go because you haven't read A Brief History of Time, I'm having a go because you're dismissing what could be a massive scientific breakthrough. It's not your lack of knowledge, it's your wilful ignorance. If you were American you'd be Tea Party-ers