Bolton Wanderers vs Newcastle United

khay

There is going to be a massive over reaction to this but we have to look at the bigger picture. At the start of the season if someone told me we'd be 9th after 14 games I would have been fucking ecstatic.

While thats true, what the table doesnt show is that we have had many of the so called "easy" games and home and yet have to play many of the harder games.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC Radio Newcastle commentators have very short memories. The defence has one/two poor games and suddenly Enrique's been 'decent' until now, Coloccini 'weak', and Williamson 'iffy'. In reality they have all performed above expectations this season (except Enrique who was expcted to do well) until this point. The more concerning issues, for me, from this game are the inevitable bans for Coloccini and Williamson.

BBC Radio Newcastle commentators have very short memories. The defence has one/two poor games and suddenly Enrique's been 'decent' until now, Coloccini 'weak', and Williamson 'iffy'. In reality they have all performed above expectations this season (except Enrique who was expcted to do well) until this point. The more concerning issues, for me, from this game are the inevitable bans for Coloccini and Williamson.

Williamson has been iffy at times tbf. He's weak as water for the size of him. The other two have been excellent on the whole but I wouldn't mind seeing Campbell at CB.

There is going to be a massive over reaction to this but we have to look at the bigger picture. At the start of the season if someone told me we'd be 9th after 14 games I would have been fucking ecstatic.

While thats true, what the table doesnt show is that we have had many of the so called "easy" games and home and yet have to play many of the harder games.

We've also played Man U, Man City, Arsenal away though. Other than the top 4-5 we can expect to take points from anyone. We MUST strengthen in January though. A pacey striker to play next to/just behind Carroll is a must.

If this is how we play when missing only two first-teamers I shudder to think how we're going to be next sunday without Barton, Colo or Williamson.

On the strength of their performances in this game neither Colo nor Williamson will be missed. Steven Taylor and Sol couldn't do worse, but with Chelsea the team visiting you hardly want to be debuting a new defensive partnership.

Can't think why Hughton would rather play Guthrie wide right than Routledge. Must not rate him at all, but he looked decent when he came on. Routledge on the wing and Guthrie instead of Smith would've been much better.

It really doesn't make any sense. Guthrie wasn't horrible but is so clearly out of position. Miles better than Smith and Nolan in this match, but not given a look in in his preferred position. It's hard to judge Routledge on this match because of the position that we were in when he came on (ie. Bolton not that worried defensively) but he did look decent and put in a good ball or two. We need someone down both flanks who will look to go outside their player rather than having to check back constantly because they don't have the pace to do so.

Williamson has been iffy at times tbf. He's weak as water for the size of him. The other two have been excellent on the whole but I wouldn't mind seeing Campbell at CB.

He'll get his chance v Chelsea. Chelsea have lost 3 out of 4 apparently. Surely that cant go on.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Guthrie is the most 'Barton-like' replacement. There's the logic behind it. The fact Routledge has struggled is also a factor. Guthrie really struggled there in the Championship though so he'll never be comfortable playing there in the PL. I'd play Routledge rather than Guthrie like.

We've also played Man U, Man City, Arsenal away though. Other than the top 4-5 we can expect to take points from anyone. We MUST strengthen in January though. A pacey striker to play next to/just behind Carroll is a must.

Completely agree with you ending statement. that is a must.

But, our next 3 home games? Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City. Makes it absolutely vital to get maximum points from West Brom and Birmingham away in between those.

Completely agree with you ending statement. that is a must.

But, our next 3 home games? Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City. Makes it absolutely vital to get maximum points from West Brom and Birmingham away in between those.

Judging by this season we are more likely to pick up points v the big teams that the West Brom & Brum !! :lol:

I can see where you are coming from on Williamson but I'd say iffy is a bit harsh. We will probably be seeing both Campbell and Taylor against Chelsea and I'd predict whoever does better will take Williamson's place for a while.

I can see where you are coming from on Williamson but I'd say iffy is a bit harsh. We will probably be seeing both Campbell and Taylor against Chelsea and I'd predict whoever does better will take Williamson's place for a while.

Probably is harsh like but I've noticed even going back to last season he's a bit of a tart. I quite like him though.

I wonder would it be worth dropping Colo for a while and bringing back Saylor if he's fit

EDIT suppose we'll see soon enough now that he's banned!

Why are you even suggesting that? Coloccini had a nightmare today - but he's been one of our best players all season. A much better defender than Taylor.

Collo and co look assured when playing behind a capable midfield that gives support anyone would have a tough game when playing behind a waste of space like Smith.

We're missing most of our 1st choice midfield tbh and we all knew we had fuck all behind them so it's not a shock we lost im just pissed it had to be by so much.

When are Essien, Lampard, Terry due back? that's the only reason Chelsea are losing to useless fuckers like the mackems tbh lose your teams spine and you're fucked the quicker Barton and Tiote are back in the team the better.

Collo and co look assured when playing behind a capable midfield that gives support anyone would have a tough game when playing behind a waste of space like Smith.

We're missing most of our 1st choice midfield tbh and we all knew we had fuck all behind them so it's not a shock we lost im just pissed it had to be by so much.

When are Essien, Lampard, Terry due back? that's the only reason Chelsea are losing to useless fuckers like the mackems tbh lose your teams spine and you're fucked the quicker Barton and Tiote are back in the team the better.

Terry will be out for a while, Alex is due an op on thursday, Essien will be serving the last game of suspension v us (I think). Lampard is due back imminently. Drogba will probably be over his sickness by then as well :lol:

Who do you have next? Williamson will surely get banned by the F.A and Colo is out suspended.

Sol Campbell and Steven Taylor were probably a lot of peoples first choice partnership if you asked them at the start of the season so im not too worried on that front.