Nihat all set to go

Scottish Mag

Newcastle target Nihat Kahveci has admitted he may leave Real Socieded during the January transfer window.

Graeme Souness is mulling over a New Year move for Turkish striker Nihat - if he is still in charge of United next month.

And Nihat, who should be available for a knock-down fee ahead of the expiry of his current contract next summer, has now confirmed: "I may move. It is a definite possibility.

"December will be the key for many things but, like always, the decision depends on the club."

But Souness has missed out on Real Madrid's Ivan Helguera, with the defender having agreed a three-year contract extension at the Bernabeu.

Newcastle target Nihat Kahveci has admitted he may leave Real Socieded during the January transfer window.

Graeme Souness is mulling over a New Year move for Turkish striker Nihat - if he is still in charge of United next month.

And Nihat, who should be available for a knock-down fee ahead of the expiry of his current contract next summer, has now confirmed: "I may move. It is a definite possibility.

"December will be the key for many things but, like always, the decision depends on the club."

But Souness has missed out on Real Madrid's Ivan Helguera, with the defender having agreed a three-year contract extension at the Bernabeu.

64269[/snapback]

That's no loss, have you seen madrids defence this season when Woody's not playing. Nearly as bad as us tbh.

That's no loss, have you seen madrids defence this season when Woody's not playing. Nearly as bad as us tbh.

To be fair though that's because he's been playing out of position for a number of years now. When I first noticed him he was a defensive midfielder, a classy reader of the game and a tireless work horse. I remember at the time though they had something of a defensive crisis so they moved him back into the defense (I think it was just after Hierro retired once they realised that despite showing early promise Pavon was never going to fill the gap). I hoped once Woody got himself fit he'd move back into his preferred position, Woody and Sergio Ramos at the back and Helguera tidying up in front of them. I was openly salivating at the prospect of a Helguera and Scotty Parker partnership in midfield. It could really have taken the pressure off our ailing defense.

Still I suppose one might have hoped such a quality defensive midfielder should have made more of his new position since he's been playing it regularly for around three seasons.