Whatever happened to...

Howaythetoon

I think you'll find most of them (like both you and I B)) have been converted...

There's still a couple of them hanging about on that 'other' forum though!

Obi, anyone? :icon_lol:

:)

I think you'll find most of them (like both you and I :)) have been converted...

64377[/snapback]

Aye B)

In our defence, well mine anyway, I was just winding everyone up...

<_<:D:)

I still like the bloke though and will be saddened when he leaves, although happy at the same time. As I wanted him to succeed and I really thought, it would be typical of NUFC to hire a crap manager who no-one wanted, and get success from it. But then, the typical United that we are, we can't even get that right. :D

I think you'll find most of them (like both you and I :)) have been converted...

64377[/snapback]

Aye B)

In our defence, well mine anyway, I was just winding everyone up...

<_<:D:)

I still like the bloke though and will be saddened when he leaves, although happy at the same time. As I wanted him to succeed and I really thought, it would be typical of NUFC to hire a crap manager who no-one wanted, and get success from it. But then, the typical United that we are, we can't even get that right. :D

64381[/snapback]

My defence is.....I have no defence!!

I thought it'd be more damaging to get rid of him mid-season than let him remain for a few more months...

Wednesday night saw the wool being lifted from my eyes though - this prat has to go!

I still think sacking him is a bad idea. I havent got the time or the energy to argue about it though

64442[/snapback]

Hey, that's fair enough. Freedom of speech and all that. It that's what you honestly believe then you have no need to argue with anyone.

Fuckin' moron! :icon_lol:

I still think sacking him is a bad idea. I havent got the time or the energy to argue about it though

64442[/snapback]

None of snake's liberal bollocks, you're off to Gitmo on the next ship.

You're either with us or against us!

He's right though - I don't think anyone (on here anyway) jumped for joy when Souness was appointed or ever really thought he was the man for the job - but others did think (wrongly IMO) that we should give him more time just to be sure that he wasn't.

No one knows that it was wrong to give him more time though. I didn't want him but is anyone seriously suggesting he should have been sacked as soon as he got the job? It's worth bearing in mind that no one else remotely decent was either considered or (if they were considered) wanted the job. It boils my piss that anyone who said 'give him time' is considered to be pro-Souness, whereas anyone who said 'Souness out' from the start is some kind of soothsaying genius. Who, seriously, thought he would be a success?

Once he got the job however, he needed to be given a chance. What were the alternatives, John Carver until the end of the season? He would have really commanded the respect of Bellamy, Jenas, Dyer et al wouldn't he?

If you really want a scapegoat for this mess, look no further than Fat Freddie.

65031[/snapback]

Absolutely spot-on. But then some even excuse him because he's always put his hand in his pocket.... :icon_lol:

65031[/snapback]

Absolutely spot-on. But then some even excuse him because he's always put his hand in his pocket.... :icon_lol:

65036[/snapback]

He has always put his hand in his pocket. It's our money in his pocket though!

No one knows that it was wrong to give him more time though. I didn't want him but is anyone seriously suggesting he should have been sacked as soon as he got the job? It's worth bearing in mind that no one else remotely decent was either considered or (if they were considered) wanted the job. It boils my piss that anyone who said 'give him time' is considered to be pro-Souness, whereas anyone who said 'Souness out' from the start is some kind of soothsaying genius. Who, seriously, thought he would be a success?

Once he got the job however, he needed to be given a chance. What were the alternatives, John Carver until the end of the season? He would have really commanded the respect of Bellamy, Jenas, Dyer et al wouldn't he?

65031[/snapback]

The boy talks sense. For once.

65031[/snapback]

65036[/snapback]

He has always put his hand in his pocket. It's our money in his pocket though!

65043[/snapback]

As someone at work put it the other day, you need to get rid of the rotten meat, otherwise the maggots will keep coming back! B)

65031[/snapback]

The boy talks sense. For once.

65044[/snapback]

I can, sometimes, when I try really, really hard B)

Anyway mate, I kept my eye out for you on Saturday but I never got the chance to say hello. I read on another thread that it went ok though which is good to hear. Lets hope that memorial bet comes up one day, eh? :icon_lol:

I can, sometimes, when I try really, really hard  B)

Anyway mate, I kept my eye out for you on Saturday but I never got the chance to say hello. I read on another thread that it went ok though which is good to hear. Lets hope that memorial bet comes up one day, eh? :icon_lol:

65047[/snapback]

Cheers marra. I can just imagine my grandchildren putting it on, as some sort of traditional family joke. We'll win it this year man, bring on the Mansfield. :)

Edited by sweetleftpeg

65031[/snapback]

Spot on. The "pro-Souness" myth has been created by the heroes that said he should be booted out the minute he was appointed as a stick with which to beat the more level-headed people who said he needed time. Canny sad IMO but if it makes them feel better.....

65031[/snapback]

Spot on. The "pro-Souness" myth has been created by the heroes that said he should be booted out the minute he was appointed as a stick with which to beat the more level-headed people who said he needed time. Canny sad IMO but if it makes them feel better.....

65051[/snapback]

Well, I would exchange "level-headed" with overly optimistic (i.e. deluded).

I know that all people who were saying that Souness should be given more time were seeing things from a more positive perspective. They were "pro-Newcastle" as everyone else. But by that they were "pro-Souness" as well by giving him a probably fair chance. There is nothing wrong with it IMHO tbh.

Though what pissed/pisses me of that people were lacking common sense when advocating to give Souness more time. I barely read valid arguments which convinced me why there is anything that could outweigh the vast amount of mistakes and bad aspects of having Souness longer in charge. IMHO it often was more a case of clutching straws and arguments like "he sorted out the defence" were rather quickly disproven. So no I don't think level-headed is the right word for this kind of people.

65031[/snapback]

65051[/snapback]

Well, I would exchange "level-headed" with overly optimistic (i.e. deluded).

I know that all people who were saying that Souness should be given more time were seeing things from a more positive perspective. They were "pro-Newcastle" as everyone else. But by that they were "pro-Souness" as well by giving him a probably fair chance. There is nothing wrong with it IMHO tbh.

Though what pissed/pisses me of that people were lacking common sense when advocating to give Souness more time. I barely read valid arguments which convinced me why there is anything that could outweigh the vast amount of mistakes and bad aspects of having Souness longer in charge. IMHO it often was more a case of clutching straws and arguments like "he sorted out the defence" were rather quickly disproven. So no I don't think level-headed is the right word for this kind of people.

65053[/snapback]

So it was deluded to say that a manager needs to be given time once he's employed to prove or disprove his ability? Sorry but I don't see it that way. Far from lacking common sense, those that said he should be given time were displaying it. It's those that said he should be sacked from the minute he arrived that want to have a word with themselves.

I'm a bit surprised at Isegrim to be honest, I wouldn't have thought I had to say this but read what we wrote. We're saying Souness shouldn't have been sacked as soon as he arrived, as some were saying. If that highly improbable scenario had occurred, we'd arguably be in a worse state than we are now. Who on earth would we have got under those circumstances?

I think every NUFC fan, well most, knew he was crap and that it would all end in tears. As fans, we had no choice but to support him. Fair play to those who stuck to their guns on both 'sides'.

Though, those now calling for his head having previously supported him are right fickle bastards mind...

:icon_lol:

So it was deluded to say that a manager needs to be given time once he's employed to prove or disprove his ability?  Sorry but I don't see it that way.

It was deluded when the tactical inaptitude became obvious as well as the inability to keep players fit to think that giving the manager more time (and money) would change anything of these problems.

Far from lacking common sense, those that said he should be given time were displaying it.  It's those that said he should be sacked from the minute he arrived that want to have a word with themselves.

65066[/snapback]

Please I still want to read a rational argument why keeping an inapt manager in charge who has been producing one bad performance after another is or has been a decision of common sense.

And I didn't say that he should have been sacked from the first minute. But I always thought that his time in charge would and should be short. I'd loved it if I had been proven wrong (so far)...