Danny Guthrie

Chriscos

Thought he did quite well last week in the middle but was crap today. Seems unfair picking him out though because I thought just about everyone was poor.

He was shite last week too Alex. He's supposed to be our creative attackin midfielder in the current system and he never got forward at all. He constantly slowed our attacks when Chelsea were there for the taking.

I've just got back from the match today and I don't know how he came across on the telly but I think most people there agreed he was fucking awful (true he certainly wasn't the only one). Personally I hope he never plays for us again, I don't think he has the bottle and I know he hasn't got the ability.

feel sorry for you lot that went down, the club should give you your money and transport back after that display, totally agree with what youve said about Guthrie, watching him on the tv today he just was marking space and looked as though he was way out of his depth

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought he did quite well last week in the middle but was crap today. Seems unfair picking him out though because I thought just about everyone was poor.

alex, did you go/watch the match last week? i was there, and he was poor, to be honest the games hes played this season (not many i know) hes never had one good game, against chelsea (who played 4-3-3) toite covered for him quite alot

i dont normally signal any player out but we cannot keep on giving players who dont perform a chance, if your main players are out injured/suspended then id rather give a youngster a chance like vuckic or donaldson, least they would run around and actually try, guthrie looked like a dead man walking today

i agree alot of players had below par performances, apparently hughton kept them in the dressing room for over an hour, i feel sorry for hughton as he is trying his best with very limited players

I agree with this but only too a point. Hughton has the option to play Vuckic instead of Guthrie or Ferguson instead Jonas or Ranger for that matter instead of Shola.

He doesnt seem to be trying anything a bit different and HE should learn very fast that if he doesnt, it will be his ass hung out to dry by the man upstairs.

alex, did you go/watch the match last week? i was there, and he was poor, to be honest the games hes played this season (not many i know) hes never had one good game, against chelsea (who played 4-3-3) toite covered for him quite alot

i dont normally signal any player out but we cannot keep on giving players who dont perform a chance, if your main players are out injured/suspended then id rather give a youngster a chance like vuckic or donaldson, least they would run around and actually try, guthrie looked like a dead man walking today

i agree alot of players had below par performances, apparently hughton kept them in the dressing room for over an hour, i feel sorry for hughton as he is trying his best with very limited players

on a seperate note, what was it with Martin O'neil being a guest of the club at last saturday against chelsea? i know Martin O'neil dosent have any connections with the club, but im not sure if there is something possibly happening... i hope not as i hope hughton gets the full backing from the club

Mmm tough one that...Hughton or MON..? :lol:

Oneils well overated

Ive told you before his personal life is all over the place. I dont think his minds on the game at all.

Elaborate please !

To be honest, he did a lot better last time around in the PL last time. He doesnt look fit to me.

Did he? With Bolton?

Ive told you before his personal life is all over the place. I dont think his minds on the game at all.

Elaborate please !

To be honest, he did a lot better last time around in the PL last time. He doesnt look fit to me.

Did he? With Bolton?

No, with us. He looks a lot worse this season imo.

I thought he looked overweight and being paired up with another non creative midfielder didn't help. It meant we had a massive gap between midfield and the forwards.

He's only on 5k and is young(ish), so is fine for squad cover. He's behind Baron, Tiote, Nolan and Gosling in the pecking order.

Elaborate please !

Did he? With Bolton?

Thought he was shite when we went down and he still is.

I wish I could say he's good enough but he's not, he's mediocrity personified, a Preston type player. He looks nervous, lacks sharpness, tries too many killer balls, and doesn't dominate the midfield like he should do. Looking at Peter's thread looks like he has off the field problems on top of his limitation, absolutely nailed on to be playing for someone like Preston within 3 years.

Hi All,

i havent posted something on this board for ages, but i felt i had to this afternoon. i dont normally pull players for their inept displays, but DANNY GUTHRIE

the way i see it is that, we all know that he can never ever play football on the right wing as he just disappears and comes inside all the time leaving simpson exposed, CH puts him in his favoured position in the middle of the park (this is all down to injurys of course)

you would think that the kid baring in mind he is 21 years old would be busting a gut to prove that he deseves a starting line up....

but what we actually see is a player that has no football brain whatso ever. he marks space, cant pick out a pass, always turns back into trouble, cant cross a ball from a set piece and for 21 years old is one of the slowest one paced players ive ever saw.

what has been painfully aparent today is that DANNY GUTHRIE is not premiership standard and is a good championship player at best.

we all know that you dont get time to prove yourself in the premiership you have to hit the ground running as if you dont you get get smashed by a bus

DANNY GUTHRIE was a disgrace to wear a black and white top today, he should take a long hard look at himself, he wasnt injured when he came off he just realised how poor he was and that he had cost us the game, GUTHRIE should his wages to the poor sods who travelled down their to watch it

sorry for my rant but just had to get it off my chest, dont even get be started with Shola who pipes on in the local rags about he is going to do this and is going to do that, we all saw Shola what you actually do today which was painfully very little... Another player who simply isnt good enough for this level...

He's 23 mate.

But I totally agree that he is shocking from what we've seen this season. Good championship player when he has time on the ball and space.

Also thinking that Jonas needs to improve drastically before the summer, or I would be inclined to look for a new left winger. Where has that flair and fearlessness gone? When faced with 2 players in front of him, he used to take them on and most times beat them. Now he passes back and doesn't move into space. So today we had no width, no flair, no-one in the middle of the pitch controlling the game, and no-one up front looking hungry.

I agree that he had a decent first half against Chelsea last week. The second he fell away badly and this one against West Brom he was poor from the start. Wants too much time on the ball. Can pick out a pass but no sense if you need so mauch time to do it. A couple of times when the ball went to him whilst we were attempting a counter attack he might as well have been a black hole.

I think pease could be onto something regarding his personal life putting him off, because he's a better player than we saw today.

Whilst we're on the subject of player that are put off or not at the races mentally, that's been Jonas for the last month. I'm sure it has something to do with the cold and shit weather.

Strange, i thought Guthrie improved in the second half last week as he got some good challenges in, added a bit more steel to his play.

Made more challenges, but that was a result of Chelsea having more posession which was at least partially a result of Guthrie turning the ball over more often and failing to keep posession like he did in the first. Played some nice attacking passes in the first hal as well, none in the second.

Never rated Guthrie at all. He is extremely lazy. His set-pieces are inconsistent, and thats supposed to be his strenght. His passing has been pretty shit this season aswell. Even in the championship he would have games when he looked like he could barely keep the level. Central midfield is still not the first position I would strenghten in, but it should be looked at. Hopefully we will buy a new one when Alan Smiths ridiculous 50k a week contract ends.

Getting more challenges in isn't exactly a positive to his game, he's got no engine at all and some of his tackles are so late they still haven't happened yet (but they arrive sooner than that yellow-card-classic from Smith today).

You know, it'd be good if we had another young, promising English central midfielder to step in here...too bad Gosling is still out.

Gosling's return to training is just around the corner apparently. Will be good to see what he's capable of, though the rumbling I've heard are that he's not that great. Certainly I don't think his strength will be his creative play, so he'll probably rightfully play second fiddle to Tiote. Will be good to have him available to fill in when Tiote is inevitably suspended again.

Elaborate please !

Did he? With Bolton?

Thought he was shite when we went down and he still is.

I dont seem to recall many threads about him being shit last time around. Although I do agree he is sub-standard. Still seems to be below par this year.

Second game in a row that we've named 3 (sub standard) strikers on the bench and the only midfielder on there was Smith - who 90% of us will agree is past it/a liability. What exactly does Vukic have to do to get a look in?? even though we got dicked on in the cup game vs Arsenal he still looked decent and there's no way he can be any worse than Guthrie was yesterday...

Gosling's return to training is just around the corner apparently. Will be good to see what he's capable of, though the rumbling I've heard are that he's not that great. Certainly I don't think his strength will be his creative play, so he'll probably rightfully play second fiddle to Tiote. Will be good to have him available to fill in when Tiote is inevitably suspended again.

We need to be careful we don't big him up as the saviour of our midfield. He only played 22 games in the league for Everton. He's far from the finished article

Edited by Kid Dynamite

Guthrie was shite. To be fair though when he cocked up for the third their bloke was allowed to run from nearly the halve way line beat two defenders and slot it past the keeper, not very good all round.

Yeah you're right, the defending after his cock up was woeful like.

He's a good Championship player but remember this is the 2nd season he's ha in the PL and he's looked way out of his depth both times. The kid does graft, but he;s just not good enough. He's a body though, and it's not like we have any other options.