Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A question to ask is which English manager has gotten a chance to get the relevant experience? Redknapp is the only English manager at a 'big 6' club with no other English manager being close to being considered for the top job at one of the rich/big clubs. There really seems to be a glass ceiling for English managers in the Premier League, which might be a more thought provoking blog topic.

A question to ask is which English manager has gotten a chance to get the relevant experience? Redknapp is the only English manager at a 'big 6' club with no other English manager being close to being considered for the top job at one of the rich/big clubs. There really seems to be a glass ceiling for English managers in the Premier League, which might be a more thought provoking blog topic.

I agree with what you're saying here... it's ridiculous how hard it is for any English or British manager to get a top job in our league! Unfortunately the articles have to be about North East football so it's hard to write a full article about this subject (although it would be a really good one if I was allowed)

I agree with your overall point that he doesn't have the required experience for the England job.

From a writing perspective I can't offer much advice, my general feeling though was that your piece didn't offer me anything fresh. You have what I imagine to be the standard view on Pardew that most England fans will have and didn't add anything more interesting, such as lesser known Pardew anecdotes or facts. I'm sure someone else will offer something much more constructive that I can.

yeah fair do's... I'll try and come up with something fresher next time, but the aim is to give quite a general overall subject that is relevant to everyone in the NE to read, whilst fitting it all in to 500 or less words... not easy :)

500 words is quite a constraint. Anyway, if your blog is aimed at NE football fans then you're already at a disadvantage given that as an OOT you won't have the same level of knowledge on local clubs as others brought up in the NE.

Ipswich finished lower than sixth place in the First Division only once, in the 1977–78 season. However, that season was a success with a 1–0 victory over Arsenal in the FA Cup Final.[51] His reign at Ipswich lasted 13 years, during which time the club twice finished as League runners-up, and made regular appearances in European competitions, capturing the UEFA Cup in 1981 with a 5–4 aggregate victory over Dutch side AZ 67 Alkmaar

Not a bad record for someone managing a club like Ipswich. Again it's about being successful over a prolongued period of time... you may argue that SBR's record isn't that amazing compared to someone like Alex Ferguson for example, but due to the club he was managing I'd argue that his record was pretty damn good! Obviously people at the FA agreed and SBR went on to show that he was indeed a great manager during the rest of his career.

Venables and Hoddle both did well - Gazza being about 2 inches longer would have resulted in us probably winning Euro 96 and Hoddle's reign may well have been different but for Beckham kicking out and his terrible beliefs about disability

You say a club like Ipswich in those days anyone could win trophies size didn't matter, revenues weren't too different. I watched a program on the forming of the Premiership a while ago, and the TV deals from 1970 to 1988 were ridiculous. Say BBC and ITV would chip in £1m for live games, all of that money would be spread evenly between the 92 clubs. No one was significantly wealthier than the rest other than teams who had good European runs, hence Forest's ability to spend £1m on Trevor Francis.

So a club "like Ipswich" were no different from a club like Everton. The gauling thing as a Newcastle fan is up to 1971 we were the most successful club in the history of English football, we had a history of being the best supported, and complete neglect of the club and mismanagement meant we weren't able to sustain our level as the biggest club in the country and by the 80's had fallen far behind Man Utd and Liverpool. All these honours in the 60's and 70's well done to the clubs who won them, but the difference between smallest club and biggest club was smaller, and anyone could win anything.

That's getting off the point like but Pardew has enough experience for the England job in my view. What experience did van Basten have with Holland, or Klinsmann with Germany, both did great jobs.

I agree with your overall point that he doesn't have the required experience for the England job.

From a writing perspective I can't offer much advice, my general feeling though was that your piece didn't offer me anything fresh. You have what I imagine to be the standard view on Pardew that most England fans will have and didn't add anything more interesting, such as lesser known Pardew anecdotes or facts. I'm sure someone else will offer something much more constructive that I can.

yeah fair do's... I'll try and come up with something fresher next time, but the aim is to give quite a general overall subject that is relevant to everyone in the NE to read, whilst fitting it all in to 500 or less words... not easy :)

500 words is quite a constraint. Anyway, if your blog is aimed at NE football fans then you're already at a disadvantage given that as an OOT you won't have the same level of knowledge on local clubs as others brought up in the NE.

Well in all fairness I've lived in the NE since I was 9 (so 22 years) so I have a decent grasp on general NE footballing matters. The rest I will steal from forums like this B)

Ipswich finished lower than sixth place in the First Division only once, in the 1977–78 season. However, that season was a success with a 1–0 victory over Arsenal in the FA Cup Final.[51] His reign at Ipswich lasted 13 years, during which time the club twice finished as League runners-up, and made regular appearances in European competitions, capturing the UEFA Cup in 1981 with a 5–4 aggregate victory over Dutch side AZ 67 Alkmaar

Not a bad record for someone managing a club like Ipswich. Again it's about being successful over a prolongued period of time... you may argue that SBR's record isn't that amazing compared to someone like Alex Ferguson for example, but due to the club he was managing I'd argue that his record was pretty damn good! Obviously people at the FA agreed and SBR went on to show that he was indeed a great manager during the rest of his career.

Venables and Hoddle both did well - Gazza being about 2 inches longer would have resulted in us probably winning Euro 96 and Hoddle's reign may well have been different but for Beckham kicking out and his terrible beliefs about disability

You say a club like Ipswich in those days anyone could win trophies size didn't matter, revenues weren't too different. I watched a program on the forming of the Premiership a while ago, and the TV deals from 1970 to 1988 were ridiculous. Say BBC and ITV would chip in £1m for live games, all of that money would be spread evenly between the 92 clubs. No one was significantly wealthier than the rest other than teams who had good European runs, hence Forest's ability to spend £1m on Trevor Francis.

So a club "like Ipswich" were no different from a club like Everton. The gauling thing as a Newcastle fan is up to 1971 we were the most successful club in the history of English football, we had a history of being the best supported, and complete neglect of the club and mismanagement meant we weren't able to sustain our level as the biggest club in the country and by the 80's had fallen far behind Man Utd and Liverpool. All these honours in the 60's and 70's well done to the clubs who won them, but the difference between smallest club and biggest club was smaller, and anyone could win anything.

That's getting off the point like but Pardew has enough experience for the England job in my view. What experience did van Basten have with Holland, or Klinsmann with Germany, both did great jobs.

You can't say "any team could win stuff" in those times, and then berate the fact your own team didn't... your taking such a narrow and contradictory view on the points you're making, but anyway like you said it's not really all that relevant. A good manager would win trophies... it's not as simple as just "anyone could win things" as it still took a good manager to enable a team to be successful.

Van Basten & Klinsmann were great players but had no real experience, they were both a calculated gamble. Pardew has a history of failure, so the gamble becomes a lot greater due to his track record. Over time he will be able to address this if he is a continued success at the Toon... as it stands just now he has a history of doing well at first and then capitulating - not the kind of person you want managing the national team! However if he proves he's learnt and improved over a longer period of time then his credentials improve. An England manager should be appointed on merit, not just on the job he's done over the last 12 months or so.

You can't say "any team could win stuff" in those times, and then berate the fact your own team didn't... your taking such a narrow and contradictory view on the points you're making, but anyway like you said it's not really all that relevant. A good manager would win trophies... it's not as simple as just "anyone could win things" as it still took a good manager to enable a team to be successful.

Van Basten & Klinsmann were great players but had no real experience, they were both a calculated gamble. Pardew has a history of failure, so the gamble becomes a lot greater due to his track record. Over time he will be able to address this if he is a continued success at the Toon... as it stands just now he has a history of doing well at first and then capitulating - not the kind of person you want managing the national team! However if he proves he's learnt and improved over a longer period of time then his credentials improve. An England manager should be appointed on merit, not just on the job he's done over the last 12 months or so.

Expand on the bits in bold please. I don't see how it's a contradiction at all. I highlight how badly we were managed from top to bottom that we fell from grace so spectactularly while little clubs like Derby and Ipswich who did things properly could be successful.

Also how was Pardew a failure exactly? His first job he took Reading from almost certainly going in to the 4th tier of English football to their highest finish in their entire history.

At West Ham there are still fans who take issue with him being sacked. He got them up on a shoe string, finished top 10 in his first season, and was absolutely robbed off the worlds luckiest club in the FA Cup Final.

Charlton was already a sinking ship, and Southampton he was sacked for shagging half the dressing rooms wives, I'd hardly say that is abject failure to be fair.

[You can't say "any team could win stuff" in those times, and then berate the fact your own team didn't... your taking such a narrow and contradictory view on the points you're making, but anyway like you said it's not really all that relevant. A good manager would win trophies... it's not as simple as just "anyone could win things" as it still took a good manager to enable a team to be successful.

Expand on the bits in bold please. I don't see how it's a contradiction at all. I highlight how badly we were managed from top to bottom that we fell from grace so spectactularly while little clubs like Derby and Ipswich who did things properly could be successful.

Also how was Pardew a failure exactly? His first job he took Reading from almost certainly going in to the 4th tier of English football to their highest finish in their entire history.

At West Ham there are still fans who take issue with him being sacked. He got them up on a shoe string, finished top 10 in his first season, and was absolutely robbed off the worlds luckiest club in the FA Cup Final.

Charlton was already a sinking ship, and Southampton he was sacked for shagging half the dressing rooms wives, I'd hardly say that is abject failure to be fair.

You said anyone could win anything, then said your team didn't and you were unhappy about it. If "any team could win stuff" then your team would have... so on one hand you're saying SBR didn't do that that great a job as it was easy to win things, yet on the other hand saying how badly your team was run and how unhappy you are that your team didn't win anything.

It doesn't even make sense! Either i) everyone could win anything, so your team did... or ii)it was still about good management and teams with good managers won things.

I've already stated Pardew took West Ham on their worst run in 70 years after the cup final, and that they neevr recovered and went down... he also had a similar impact at Charlton... If you can't even be bothered to read what I'm writing then there's really not much point in continuing this debate!

[You can't say "any team could win stuff" in those times, and then berate the fact your own team didn't... your taking such a narrow and contradictory view on the points you're making, but anyway like you said it's not really all that relevant. A good manager would win trophies... it's not as simple as just "anyone could win things" as it still took a good manager to enable a team to be successful.

You said anyone could win anything, then said your team didn't and you were unhappy about it. If "any team could win stuff" then your team would have... so on one hand you're saying SBR didn't do that that great a job as it was easy to win things, yet on the other hand saying how badly your team was run and how unhappy you are that your team didn't win anything.

It doesn't even make sense! Either i) everyone could win anything, so your team did... or ii)it was still about good management and teams with good managers won things.

I've already stated Pardew took West Ham on their worst run in 70 years after the cup final, and that they neevr recovered and went down... he also had a similar impact at Charlton... If you can't even be bothered to read what I'm writing then there's really not much point in continuing this debate!

He also had a similar impact at Charlton??! They were 19th when he took the job. Despite his bad run at West Ham they weren't in the bottom three when he was sacked, and the supporters didn't wnat it indicating he was not a failure. First cup final in 26 years in his second season and he's a failure?!?!

You miss my point, any club of any size could win anything in those days if managed right. You could have JC himself managing Everton and you couldn't come in the top 3 or 4 these days. That is my point. Football has changed to the extent smaller clubs have absolutely no hope of being a major force again.

He also had a similar impact at Charlton??! They were 19th when he took the job. Despite his bad run at West Ham they weren't in the bottom three when he was sacked, and the supporters didn't wnat it indicating he was not a failure. First cup final in 26 years in his second season and he's a failure?!?!

You miss my point, any club of any size could win anything in those days if managed right. You could have JC himself managing Everton and you couldn't come in the top 3 or 4 these days. That is my point. Football has changed to the extent smaller clubs have absolutely no hope of being a major force again.

Seriously I'm not going to continue this with you, you are talking about him taking over at Charlton them being 19th at the time and putting ??! after it... which clearly shows you haven't read what I wrote regarding this earlier in the debate.

I don't see the point in debating with someone who is arguing points I've made without actually reading the points properly.

You just also said "any club managed right could win things" ergo stating you believe SBR managed Ipswich well and therefore was successful in his remit as manager... whilst also then backing up the point that unless you were a good manager you wouldn't win anything.

Again not much point in debating something when all your doing is backing up the points I made that you are arguing against.

You then bring Everton in to it for no apparent reason other than to have a clear dig... for what purpose? I don't know but again just proves you have nothing to bring to the table in this debate.

Thanks for participating.

Seriously I'm not going to continue this with you, you are talking about him taking over at Charlton them being 19th at the time and putting ??! after it... which clearly shows you haven't read what I wrote regarding this earlier in the debate.

I don't see the point in debating with someone who is arguing points I've made without actually reading the points properly.

You just also said "any club managed right could win things" ergo stating you believe SBR managed Ipswich well and therefore was successful in his remit as manager... whilst also then backing up the point that unless you were a good manager you wouldn't win anything.

Again not much point in debating something when all your doing is backing up the points I made that you are arguing against.

You then bring Everton in to it for no apparent reason other than to have a clear dig... for what purpose? I don't know but again just proves you have nothing to bring to the table in this debate.

You're talking shit mate! You go on about Pardew's impact at Charlton, a sinking ship full of overpaid underachieving remnants of the Iain Dowie era? They were 19th, no one else would've saved them. So what impact did he have? Not a negative one, he just couldn't save them.

I brought Everton in to it to emphasise my point, Everton aren't really a small club (even though they get 28,000 in derby games against Man City), but they can't compete now because of the way football has gone, whereas the likes of Oxford, Ipswich, Luton, Derby, Leeds etc... could all win trophies in that era with proper management, they can't now. My initial point was against your point diminishing "a club like Ipswich", it made fuck all difference the size of a club then.

You're talking shit mate! You go on about Pardew's impact at Charlton, a sinking ship full of overpaid underachieving remnants of the Iain Dowie era? They were 19th, no one else would've saved them. So what impact did he have? Not a negative one, he just couldn't save them.

I brought Everton in to it to emphasise my point, Everton aren't really a small club (even though they get 28,000 in derby games against Man City), but they can't compete now because of the way football has gone, whereas the likes of Oxford, Ipswich, Luton, Derby, Leeds etc... could all win trophies in that era with proper management, they can't now. My initial point was against your point diminishing "a club like Ipswich", it made fuck all difference the size of a club then.

Again you are referring to points about Charlton where you have taken one small part and ignored or not bothered to read the rest.

If you go back through this thread you will find a bit where I referred to him taking over and failing to keep them up, how I said in all fairness it was a big ask, then went on to assess his performance in the following 2 seasons.

Like I said debating with you is pointless as you don't read what's written before going on a rant.

Man City isn't a derby game, Everton's attendance v Man City is irrelevant to the argument and again just proves why it's completely pointless trying to debate with you when you can't stick to the points at hand.

Like I said before I won't continue with this debate any longer as you have failed to read what I'm writing and keep throwing pointless digs in to the debate that have no relevance.

Thanks again for your participation.

I don't think it's that hard a point to grasp AA. All McFaul is saying is that a good manager could compensate for more in the past than they can now. Clubs the size of Ipswich and Forest won't win things again simply because there's too big a gap.

I don't think it's that hard a point to grasp AA. All McFaul is saying is that a good manager could compensate for more in the past than they can now. Clubs the size of Ipswich and Forest won't win things again simply because there's too big a gap.

I dont deny that, however the point still remains that any team winning things, or doing well over a prolongued period of time could only do so under a good manager. You can't write off SBR's record as being nothing of note just because "any team with a good manager could do well", the fact still remains that to sustain it over such a long period of time confirms that SBR did a great job at Ipswich. If he hadn't been a good manager then they wouldn't have won anything or had such consitant high placed finishes.

It's a nonsensical argument to say other wise.

Rules himself out of England job at this mornings presser.

Advises Best will probably miss rest of season and RTaylor wont make Tottenham.

Also Mike and Derek arrive at training ground for strategy meeting to discuss players contracts and summer transfer targets.

I like this quote from Pardew today.. :lol:

"As a manager your flag goes up the pole, down the pole. My flag's up the pole at the moment but can easily come down!" - Pardew.

Wonder what's going on in the fanny rat's subconscious there then.

I like this quote from Pardew today.. :lol:

"As a manager your flag goes up the pole, down the pole. My flag's up the pole at the moment but can easily come down!" - Pardew.

Wonder what's going on in the fanny rat's subconscious there then.

Not the smartest metaphor for a man with his history :lol:

Guest CabayeAye

He's doing well. I don't know why, but he is. I've been somewhat of a critic of Pardew in the past, but hey, if he gets us into Europe I'll love him.

Feared on Wearside?

Martin O'Neill is ten times the manager the smug, slimey Cockney twat will ever be. MON achieved more at Leicester than Pardew ever has done or ever will do... and don't even mention their playing careers in the same breath. :lol:

I just love how fickle you are, I was expecting Pardew to be taken out by a Geordie sniper when he was first announced as manager, now he's the best thing since sliced bread. This apart from achieving absolutely fuck all ever, except setting West Ham on their way to relegation before eventually managing to get Charlton relegated, before then getting fired from his post at a League One club.

Can't wait for it all to implode which it inevitably will.

Feared on Wearside?

Martin O'Neill is ten times the manager the smug, slimey Cockney twat will ever be. MON achieved more at Leicester than Pardew ever has done or ever will do... and don't even mention their playing careers in the same breath. :lol:

I just love how fickle you are, I was expecting Pardew to be taken out by a Geordie sniper when he was first announced as manager, now he's the best thing since sliced bread. This apart from achieving absolutely fuck all ever, except setting West Ham on their way to relegation before eventually managing to get Charlton relegated, before then getting fired from his post at a League One club.

Can't wait for it all to implode which it inevitably will.

Why didn't you post ANYTHING on here between 17th August and 3rd December?

Wouldn't consider using the word fickle in that glass house of yours pal.

Edited by Happy Face