Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Michael Owen says he understands fan frustration at Newcastle United this season – but feels the Magpies could be the “envy” of a host of other clubs going forward.

Having bottomed out the finances at St James’ Park, Owen sees United as a different club who tried to throw money at their problems in years gone by.

However, Owen, who arrived at Newcastle from Real Madrid when United were gunning for Champions League places, feels the “stardust” that once had the stadium rocking is one of the ingredients missing.

In an exclusive interview with the Chronicle, Owen – speaking in a preview of the clash between his two old clubs United and Liverpool – said: “It’s always an awkward one when you aren’t at the club to totally understand everything.

“But I understand Newcastle fans are frustrated at the minute.

“If you’d ask me, or anybody to close their eyes at the start of the season then woke up today and looked at the league table you would look and think, Liverpool have been absolutely brilliant.

“You’d think Everton had done well and you’d think ‘Wow look at Manchester United – they’ve had a nightmare season’.

“You’d also think that it’s a good season for Newcastle as well, along with Southampton.

“I keep looking at the table for Newcastle and thinking with the players they’ve got I can’t really fault the job that they, the supporters and the manager has done this season, from afar.

“As we know there are other things that go on at clubs that aren’t broadcast nationwide.

“But from afar ninth in the league? Top half? That’s a very solid season.”

Newcastle chiefs feel that going into an era which will be dominated by UEFA financial fair play rules, the Magpies are a club that have solid foundations to build from.

And Owen added: “They are a club that aren’t in huge debt anymore, so they will be the envy of a lot clubs.

“I know there is a lot of frustration there because they aren’t challenging for Europe and challenging for the Champions League.

“From afar people are looking at it and thinking it is a good season, and probably are surprised that Alan Pardew is under a lot of pressure.”

But Owen admits that a few big-name signings like those from the past could be what is missing at United.

He said: “Every fan wants the same thing. Everyone wants great signings.

“And obviously Newcastle fans have been given that over the years.

“Maybe the stardust is what’s missing at the moment. I can totally understand their frustration.”

Owen – who was part of a clear out by Mike Ashley back in 2009 when he cut costs after relegation – sees why supporters were upset when Yohan Cabaye was flogged to Paris St-Germain.

He reflected: “They have made money on him. From a business point of view obviously from afar you are looking in and seeing Newcastle have spent very little on a lot of players.

“They have bought extremely well. You look at Sissoko, he was fairly cheap.

“Cabaye and Tiote weren’t expensive – the list goes on.”

But despite the supporter unrest, Owen sees no reason why United can’t build a team again from scratch.

He said: “They have bought really well over the last few years.

“Newcastle will be the envy of a lot of clubs as I say.

“They haven’t spent big amounts but are making big amounts.

“Obviously that doesn’t help the supporters!

“My head lad of my yard is a massive Newcastle fan and we are always talking about the club and how they sell their best players and don’t buy anyone.

“You can totally understand that. That’s what Newcastle fans expect over the year.

“Every fan wants those stars and signings. It is a balance between putting yourself out there and spending a lot of money then putting the club in financial difficulty or keeping it all tight and running well and having a sustainable business.

“Obviously football fans don’t see it as a business.

“They want to be passionate and see their team playing good football.

“All I would say on the whole situation is that I’m sure Alan Pardew would want an open cheque book like most managers.

“But for what he’s got and what he’s had to play with, with a small squad, to get ninth in the Premier League is a pretty decent return.

“I wouldn’t suggest it’s all doom and gloom at all, but I understand the frustrations of the fans.”

And Owen says that trouble is never too far around the corner in the Premier League for teams that stand still.

He said: “Unless you are one of the big boys, every season starts off and relegation has to be a worry for 13 or 14 teams in the league.

“You are always thinking one bad season and things can go wrong.

“Newcastle had that one bad season and look what happened.

“They also had last season when they were in the Europa League and at one point you were thinking about relegation. Now it looks like the ship is steady.

“They are a well run club in terms of not outspending. From the outside it looks fine.

“That’s not enough for a lot of fans because we all want to be the champions or be in the Champions League.

“There’s nothing wrong with having ambition like that.

“Newcastle fans still have that and they want the big signings, and they want to just be getting behind their team again which is what they are renowned for.”

Season review -- norther echo -- Scott Wilson

Another Premier League season comes to a close tomorrow, and for Newcastle United, the last nine months have contained some remarkable highs and lows. Scott Wilson reviews the way the season has gone for the Magpies

When the final whistle blows at Anfield tomorrow, Newcastle United will have achieved their pre-season ambition of finishing in the top half of the table.

They have been there since early November, briefly rising as high as fifth, have never been troubled by relegation worries and have achieved notable victories over Chelsea and Tottenham, not to mention an historic first win at Old Trafford for more than 40 years.

So it'll be smiles all round then? Not exactly. The bare statistics of an increasingly fractious campaign do not even begin to tell the story, and Newcastle will sign off for the summer with their supporters thoroughly disenchanted at pretty much every aspect of the club.

Mike Ashley's ownership continues to anger and frustrate, although the majority of the ire in the second half of the season has been directed at manager Alan Pardew, who is expected to cling to his position despite a dreadful recent run.

The “Pardew out” banners will be stored away for the summer, but there is every chance they will be dusted off in the early weeks of next season if things do not start well. This does not feel like a breakdown in relations that will be easily repaired.

The second half of the season has been a disaster, but it is easy to overlook just how well things were going before the January transfer window negatively transformed Newcastle's campaign.

An opening-weekend hammering at Manchester City was chastening, but by the time Moussa Sissoko's long-range strike helped secure a 2-1 win over West Brom in late November that made it four victories in a row, Newcastle were ensconced in the top six and dreaming of Europe.

The disappointment of defeat at the Stadium of Light was largely forgotten when away wins at Manchester United and Crystal Palace were followed by a Boxing Day hammering of Stoke. But that was to be as good as things were going to get.

The home defeat to Arsenal that ended 2013 marked the start of a run of 13 defeats from 18 matches that poisoned the atmosphere at St James' Park. Newcastle failed to score in 13 of those games, an awful record that undid all of the good work that had been enacted prior to Christmas.

Yohan Cabaye's departure to Paris St Germain was clearly a key catalyst in the decline, with Newcastle selling their main play-maker and then failing to replace him as they were unable to get key targets like Remy Cabella “over the line”.

The failure led to the much-derided Joe Kinnear losing his job as director of football, although as the man who writes the cheques, it is surely Ashley's fault that Newcastle have not made a permanent signing in the last two transfer windows.

With Cabaye gone, Newcastle were completely devoid of creativity, a failing that was exacerbated by the suspension and injury that meant leading goalscorer Loic Remy missed nine of 11 matches between February and mid-April.

Without Remy, Newcastle rarely looked like scoring, and for many supporters, the thumping 3-0 home defeat to Sunderland was the point at which festering discontent morphed into something more demonstrative.

A couple of weeks after the derby defeat, Newcastle fans had to watch their Wearside rivals wander down Wembley Way for the Capital One Cup final, and the Magpies' failure in the cup competitions continues to be a major blight on their record.

They were unfortunate to draw Manchester City in the League Cup fourth round, but Pardew's decision to make changes for the FA Cup third-round game with Cardiff backfired spectacularly when they Premier League strugglers won 2-1. Once again, Newcastle's pursuit of silverware was over before the Christmas decorations had come down.

Hit of the Season

Loic Remy

Signed on a season-long loan from QPR, the French striker has scored 14 Premier League goals this season. The majority came in the first half of the campaign, with September and October representing a real purple patch, but his impressive form means there is little or no chance of Newcastle being able to sign him permanently.

Flop of the Season

Luuk de Jong

Newcastle had tracked de Jong for the best part of three years, so there was a high degree of satisfaction when the Dutchman finally arrived on loan from Borussia Monchengladbach in January. However, he lacked sharpness and confidence, and is still to score his first goal in a black-and-white shirt.

Goal of the Season

Yohan Cabaye vs Everton

Newcastle were heading for a huge embarrassment when they trailed Everton 3-0 at half-time in September, but Cabaye's long-range screamer almost sparked a remarkable recovery. Picking up the ball from Yoan Gouffran, Cabaye barely broke stride as he arced an effortless 30-yard strike into the top right-hand corner of the net.

Moment of the Season

Alan Pardew's head-butt

Only at Newcastle could a manager be sent to the stands for head-butting a player. Even now, Pardew's butt at Hull midfielder David Meyler is barely believable, and it earned him a three-match stadium ban and four further games away from the touchline. The incident summed up the club's descent into chaos in the second half of the season.

Season record (all competitions)

P41 W17 D4 L20 F47 A61

Win ratio: 41.46%

What a clueless idiot.

Edit: Owen

It's like the entire football media (bar a few notable exceptions) can't bring anything more to the analysis table bar looking at the fuckin league table. And the cunts get paid for it.

Earlier in the week The Mag had an article saying Owen's biggest regret was "joining Newcast & he wished he'd rejoined Liverpool". Well guess whhat you little twat the feelings mutual he robbed the club of £ millions each goal he scored cost the club £1.3 million

And Owen added: “They are a club that aren’t in huge debt anymore, so they will be the envy of a lot clubs.

BnQzUjNCMAASvPg.jpg

Man U fans jealous as fuck I'm sure.

So by a lot he means AVFC and QPR.

This is brilliant :lol:

by5yqumy.jpg

:lol:

Excellent.

As for Michael Owen, he just doesn'......................ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................WHAT?!!!................sorry, I fell asleep too.

BnQzUjNCMAASvPg.jpg

Man U fans jealous as fuck I'm sure.

So by a lot he means AVFC and QPR.

Need to send that to all the 'pundits' with a note asking why our debt is not reducing if it's interest free?

Need to send that to all the 'pundits' with a note asking why our debt is not reducing if it's interest free?

I tweeted it to Owen...as well as saying what an ignorant disgrace he is.